Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

A thief works at Hertz Auto Return : Logan Airport/Boston

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A thief works at Hertz Auto Return : Logan Airport/Boston

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down A thief works at Hertz Auto Return : Logan Airport/Boston

Please be cautious at Hertz Auto Return at Logan Airport in Boston. Monday, September 24, money was stolen by an Hertz employee. We returned a rental and boarded the shuttle bus to Delta. At the terminal we realized that we had left money in the arm rest glove box. We immediately boarded a bus back to Hertz. We explained the situation to the driver and he called the person who was responsible for Lost and Found. This person told him he was TOO BUSY to check for Lost items. The driver (who was very helpful) made two additional attempts and was told by this person he would call him back when he had time. We returned to Hertz and found the car in the exact location where it had been left it but the money was gone. Since we had a flight to catch we did not have time to file a police report. I only can post this notice to others. BE WARNED THAT THERE IS A THIEF WORKING AT HERTZ AUTO RETURN AT LOGAN AIRPORT.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Florida Lady
Since we had a flight to catch we did not have time to file a police report.
Many police departments will take reports by phone. This could be particularly helpful if there is a pattern of thefts at this location.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Don't bother. The EXACT same thing happened to me in LHR. I had a TomTom 300 navigation device that cost me $500 plus $220 for the European maps in it. I dropped the car off and ran for the shuttle. On the shuttle, I realized I had forgotten my TomTom 300 in the car so I had the shuttle driver drive me back.

It wasn't there. The manager talked to the people there, but they all denied ever seeing it. There was nothing they could do.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:20 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
How much cash are we talking about?

I think you would have had a similar outcome at 99.999% of other Hertz (or Avis, National ect...) locations. These guys make peanuts and consider items left behind a perk of the job.

(Not defending perp. it's just reality)
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This certainly isn't just hertz either, you leave anything anywhere and there is a very good chance in a blink it will vaporize.

I'm not saying what they did was right, it's just how it is.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I once left a pair of prescription Ray Ban sunglasses (about $400 with the prescription lenses in them) in a car at Hertz in DEN. I called the station from the airport & they said they found them. I offered to pay for postage to send them to my office in DC & was told that they'd take care of it. A week passed, no sunglasses. I called them up again to see if they had mailed them yet and was told that there was no record of them being found. I should have gotten the name of the person I spoke to the first time, but carelessly did not. The messed up thing is that they were probably useless to whoever took them - they were prescription lenses. Sure, you can get replacement lenses, but that's sort of a pain in the neck!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:35 am

I am sorry to hear that. I would certainly let that station manager know what happened.

I left a pair of prescription sun glasses in a car in Toledo. I called, they had them and they mailed them to me. I let the station manager and Hertz customer service know about it.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
What can the service manager do? The one in LHR basically told me to suck it in and there is nothing he can do.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by safetymom
I am sorry to hear that. I would certainly let that station manager know what happened.

I left a pair of prescription sun glasses in a car in Toledo. I called, they had them and they mailed them to me. I let the station manager and Hertz customer service know about it.
I would have, but figured it'd be a "he said, she said" kind of thing - since I never got the person whom I spoke with the first time around's name - there was nothing that could have been done.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Um...In today's America you expect someone working for peanuts not to take a bit of cash left in a car or really anything of value? If you were working a that wage don't tell me you wouldn't take it either. If you do you are a liar!

Not to be mean but you leave money anywhere and someone will take it if they see it. Walmart, Grocery store, mall, in a rental car, in a tree, etc.

So what are you expecting?

Sure it would be nice if we were all nice honest people but we arent and you have to deal with it...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Well, I left an iPod in the center console of a car returned to Hertz at RDU last year. I called the office from the plane and they Fedexed it back to me the next day. So there are some honest people.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec., AC SE, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, member of various and sundry others
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
Um...In today's America you expect someone working for peanuts not to take a bit of cash left in a car or really anything of value? If you were working a that wage don't tell me you wouldn't take it either. If you do you are a liar!

Your implication is that "today's America" is a place where moral values are no longer something to be questioned. That is really a sad state of affairs.

Yes, some people receive disgusting wages - but does that excuse a lowering of moral values (i.e. theft = theft)

JMHO
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:52 am

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
So what are you expecting?

Sure it would be nice if we were all nice honest people but we arent and you have to deal with it...
I left my Sony noise cancelling headphones in a Hertz car a few months ago. I called three days later and they immediately found it and held it for me. (I was going back to the same station in a week.) When I got there the headphones and all accessories (including the MP3 player) where still there.

I am expecting that when the left item is a) clearly mistakenly left and b) has "significant" value that it will be held for a reasonable period of time (one week?) before being divided up between the workers. So, if I leave a couple of bottles of water (or other beverage) in the trunk, there's no reason to hold them (I can't carry them on the airplane and the value is minimal.) Same holds for tollway change, paperback books and CDs.

Significant cash, navigation devices and noise cancelling headphones clearly belong in the "hold" category, IMO.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:07 am
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
[...]
to you sir. Yes, I expect someone not to take something that does not belong to them. Regardless of whether they work for peanuts, fish, or dollar bills. I suppose you'd excuse these thieves stealing the very cars they are checking in, if they could get away with it. When you say "we aren't" nice honest people -- speak for yourself.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:39 am

You need to watch them in Atlanta, too. I accidentally dropped my small wallet out of my purse in the car while I was getting out. I was at the check-in desk and realized it was missing. I called immediately and they said the manager found it and was bringing it to me. Well, lo and behold if everything except my cash was still in it. I called while sitting in the airport about the missing cash, but they "asked around" to no avail. Yeah, like someone is going to say "Yep, that was me. I stole the lady's cash." I have a gut feeling it was the manager. I had enough time to ride the shuttle to retrieve it but he was firm about taking the shuttle to bring it to me. It wasn't a big wad of cash, but I had no cash for an incidental cup of coffee. Oh, well, lesson learned. I take my time now and look at least twice all throughout the car before leaving it.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous to expect people to steal from rental cars because they may be working a lower paying job. Seriously, that's totally offensive. I've been in one of those "low paying jobs" and I NEVER stole a thing and I certainly never even consider it. You're painting with a rather large brush. What is wrong with the expectation of honesty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.