Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My rush towards 5 Star

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
My rush towards 5 Star

Return weekly rental at 8 AM, take new weekly rental at 9 AM. With National, the second rental would not be worthy toward the count. What is the policy at Hertz? Have been checking this forum for awhile and have not seen this question, though I'm sure it is not original. Thanks for making me aware that this is mostly a wasted exercise.

Edit to say thanks for info. PS at Avis, EE with National and not unhappy with either. Lately, Hertz is beating both on weekly rates so we'll go for the finish line.

Last edited by hedoman; Oct 12, 2006 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
My understanding is that they count, you can even have multiple rentals out simultaneously and they count. You're right, it really isn't worth it other than the fact you'll get a free rental day certificate every 15 rentals once you get to 5* (the free day is good for up to a Premium (G class) and can be used on just a one day rental in New York City even, so they are pretty valuable).
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:33 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I spoke to CS once about this, and they said if i had one rental a day for 25 days i'd be PC.... Thinking of getting a friendly local office to run a weeks rental through as 7 separate rentals....

Originally Posted by Beckles
you'll get a free rental day certificate every 15 rentals once you get to 5* (the free day is good for up to a Premium (G class) and can be used on just a one day rental in New York City even, so they are pretty valuable).
Alternatively go for the cheapest rental option everyone out of those 15 times and with the money you save, buy a car....
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
As far as I understand it, Hertz has a similar policy where the rentals will count as a single rental if there's a drop-off and a pick-up within 24 hours. So if you rent Monday at 8am and drop it off Tuesday at 8 am, but realize you need another rental on Tuesday at 11pm to drive somewhere. While it's 2 separate rentals, per wording it should only be 1.

In practice, however, I believe Hertz never checks this and simply goes by the contract count. Since that would be 2 separate contracts it would be credited as 2 separate rentals towards your 5* status.

Additionally, it is possible to qualify for 5*/President's Circle on revenue & number of days, however that information is not disclosed. I have qualified for PC without having 40 rentals, since my rentals are for 2-4 weeks at a time.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
I have to do something similar very soon. We have friends visiting from out of town and will end up needing two cars. I will likely rent two Full sizes in my name and registering multiple co-drives on both cars. Will post back from that experience.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Hertz 5*, Priority Club Gold, US
Last year I rented from Hertz for a month due to my car being in the shop and the discount code I had (plus to earn ZE1 points). All it got me was one rental credit toward my 5* this year

Bob
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
When taking advantage of a CO mistake fare, I had two rentals that overlapped from different stations (weekly from ATL, and a three day weekend in ANC) and they still counted towards rental count for five-star and for points.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
I spoke to CS once about this, and they said if i had one rental a day for 25 days i'd be PC.... Thinking of getting a friendly local office to run a weeks rental through as 7 separate rentals....
I just did this in Toronto for the last 5 weeks going through 3 rental contracts per week between Sunday night and Friday afternoon. Completed by 40th rental today
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:41 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by legionnaire
I have to do something similar very soon. We have friends visiting from out of town and will end up needing two cars. I will likely rent two Full sizes in my name and registering multiple co-drives on both cars. Will post back from that experience.
I closed out two contracts recently over the same period. Hertz.com has updated my ZE1 point balance, but I can't tell the number of rentals. I guess I need to call CS to find out. Will post in the morning.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
My understanding is that they count, you can even have multiple rentals out simultaneously and they count. You're right, it really isn't worth it other than the fact you'll get a free rental day certificate every 15 rentals once you get to 5* (the free day is good for up to a Premium (G class) and can be used on just a one day rental in New York City even, so they are pretty valuable).
Is this still the case? I found a great rate in Sweden and with the double BMI miles this could be intresting..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.