Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anybody have experience with Hertz when you dent one of their cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*

I've been renting cars for years. Mostly Hertz and Avis for business and National for personal use with family (need Emerald Aisle to chose the mini-van). Since Jan 06 I've been Hertz, almost every week. And for the first time in my life, I dented a car pulling out of a parking spot, smacking into a garage support pole. As I got out to look I was praying it was small and un-noticeable...not to be. Got a nice dent where the door met the front quarter panel, with some impressive paint transfer. (Funny that the week before my boss and I were discussing taking the LDW on our business rentals in the future, but this one was already booked) Hertz was very nice and had me fill out a vehicle accident report and said I would hear from them soon.

Has anyone had this happen? What can I expect now? (It's been two weeks and I haven't heard anything)

I got an estimate from a body shop in PHL, where it happened, just so I knew what the damage was ($1100). On the accident form I left the insurance information blank as I want to pay out of pocket. (Visa will reimburse me $500, my personal deductible).

Thanks for any info anyone might have.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
I didn't dent one, but some guy ran into while I was stopped at a light in New Mexico and totaled one. Car was destroyed from back to doors. Luckily no one was hurt. Does that count? Gave Hertz all the info, police report, insurance info, etc. Six months later they started to bill me for around $5000. They said that they didnt have the information I gave them. I sent copies and they later claimed that the police didnt have any information despite the copies of the police report I sent/ (police report was that I was hit in rear at a light and the other guy left the scene and was caught later. After months of letters back and forth didnt hear anything... 5 Years later I was in Italy, had reserved a car and when I went to pick it up car, on way to car an agent came running over and said that she was sorry but I couldnt have the car "because the computer said was on a list not to rent to because of that accident". They refused to give me the car. After many phone calls I gave up and rented from Sixt. Never used Hertz again. What was crazy was that in the time between the accident and refusal to rent to I had used Hertz many times and was one of their "elite renter" whatever they call their program...
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:28 am

It usually takes them a few months to get back to you. They'll send a form with a photo, the repair cost, an administrative fee (~$150-$200), and possibly a fee to cover the lost of rental. It's up to you to figure out how to pay, either charge to your credit card company or your insurance.

You did notify your card that there was some damage? My understanding is that you to file a claim you have to notify them within a certain amount of time, I think 24 hours.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I had an accident a couple of years ago where a lady sideswiped me. Police found her to blame, issued a ticket.

Filled out the Hertz report, and turned the whole thing over to my insurance company - and notified AmEx in case my insurance wouldn't cover the whole thing.

Aside from a couple of calls and a letter from Hertz (that I forwarded to the insurance company), it was all handled pretty easily. The insurance found Hertz to be kinda aggressive, and found that Hertz overcharged on part of it. They also told me that Hertz really tried to load up the administrative and loss-of-use fees.

The last point is important because a number of the insurance companies and credit-card companies are not covering those charges any more. And companies like Hertz are tired of being negotiated down on the actual repair costs, so they are sticking higher-than-actual administrative and loss-of-use fees on renters that have damage. I have heard reports from one or two folks that say the loss-of-use and admin fees were greater than the damage estimates. But I've also heard that Hertz is not the worst in this regard (there was a news/media report somewhere recently about lawsuits involving overcharges for loss-of-use and admin fees).

As for the LDW, I've seen amounts of $23/day in some cities in the US, compared to my contracted rental costs per day of $26. It adds up fast, and I've already paid my own insurance and have the credit card coverage. I do typically take the program in Europe when I book through AutoEurope - the cost is usually nominal.

YMMV. Good luck.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:13 am
Original Poster

thanks for the info.
I'll let you know what happens.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
I had an accident a while back which was covered by Amex (business rental etc.) Originally Hertz came after me for the total value of car, admin fees (think??) and a loss of use fees. Amex then asked for a log of vehicle utilization and fleet utilization (i think those where the terms) and then the loss of use fees disappeared. I believe they can only charge a loss of use fee if they can substantiate that the car would have been rented otherwise and then something to do with percentages but that may vary state to state etc. Do some research before you decide to pay anything and let your credit card company &/or Company or personal insurance company cover it.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wonder how Diner's Club handles the extra bogus fees in the event of an accident... Now that the Diner's Club Rewards program has been watered down so much, the main remaining value prop for carrying and using Diner's Club (at least on car rentals) is the primary insurance. If you wreck a rental car, Hertz deals with Diner's Club and not your insurance company at all.

But depending on how they handle those extra fees, that perk may be of somewhat less value.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Just got off the phone with Hertz Claims.
Damage was less than the estimate I got to protect myself.
Theres ($791) mine ($1100). They were very nice. Now it goes to OKC, and I'll see what the administration fee is and any loss of use fee. We'll see.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Update: Damage to vehicle

Just an update from the damage to the Hertz car I rented.
Visa enhancement services delt with Hertz directly, and paid 100%
Hertz, dropped the admin fee and loss of use for Visa.
My out of pocket: zero dollars. If I used my insurance I would have had the
$500 deductible.

I now take the LDW on all business rentals.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:05 pm

Tell them to go scratch on the "admin" fees. Got hit in PIT a few years ago. Amex covered the damage, and they tried to bill me for admin fees. I told them forget it and never heard back.

ChrisR
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:17 pm

I have 2 experiences with rental car damage.

One was on an organized group trip in South Africa, where the group leader (and driver) had rented a vehicle and it sideswiped a pole. He nonchalantly used solvent to remove the 2-foot long broad scratch on the white van (an indentation remained). Upon turning it in, the rental people did not notice anything amiss, and he specifically asked them to examine the vehicle to make sure it was OK. They said "everything was fine".

My own experience was when my rental car was parked on the street and was backed into by an errant homeowner backing out of his driveway; damage was substantial although the car was driveable. I got his insurance information and reported that to National. I also filed a claim with my credit card and made a report to my own carrier. A few weeks later I received a claim form from the credit card offering to pay my $500 deductible, and asking me to check a box as to whether I wanted the check sent to the car rental company or "directly to you". I selected "directly to you", received the check, deposited the check, and called my insurer a month later to find out the status of the claim. They asked me why I was calling; to not worry about anything unless they contacted me.

I have been holding the $500 in trust for about 7 years now, as I never heard anything and heeded the advice to take no further action.

America is a great country.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I rear-ended a car in Squamish BC (Canada) about 60 miles from Vancouver, and damaged the front end and radiator of my rental, rendering it inoperable.

Alamo insisted that I return the car to the airport or they would bill towing. Fortunatelly I had an AAA+ membership which provides 100 miles free towing. Sure enough a tower showed up an hour later and hauled us back to YVR, no charge! Alamo then shuttled us to our airport hotel. Called my insurance when I got home, and later learned that Alamo billed them $3000CAN for the damage (cheap IMO given the condition) which my insurer paid except for my $500 US deductible. About 4 months later, Alamo billed my card for $500 CAN ($402 US). Never billed for loss of use or damage to the other car (I'm told they have no-fault in Canada).

Anyway it then gets interesting. I had previously notified mastercard of the claim, filed the forms, got the police report (not easy) sent them everything. Kept denying the claim on the grounds that they were missing documents that had already been provided. Finally sent a "legal" letter with a court summons to the claims administrator, the insurer (Virginia Surety handles mastercard's program) and the credit card issuer indicating that they would all be sued for punitive damages for insurance bad faith and breach of contract in California. Received a check within 7 days plus 2 phone calls.

Have not had any problems since renting from anyone.

All FTers should feel free to PM me if you need the legal letters. I am certain that someone will eventually file a big class action against MC and its insurers because from what I can tell their policy is to stall, deny and not pay claims.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 19, 2007 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: AA GLD/1MM, Marriott GLD, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I rear-ended a car in Squamish BC (Canada) about 60 miles from Vancouver, and damaged the front end and radiator of my rental, rendering it inoperable.

Alamo insisted that I return the car to the airport or they would bill towing. Fortunatelly I had an AAA+ membership which provides 100 miles free towing. Sure enough a tower showed up an hour later and hauled us back to YYZ, no charge!
All the way from Squamish to Toronto for free? That is impressive.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 6:09 am

Visa Enhancement Services

Originally Posted by JLaw725
Just an update from the damage to the Hertz car I rented.
Visa enhancement services delt with Hertz directly, and paid 100%
Hertz, dropped the admin fee and loss of use for Visa.
My out of pocket: zero dollars. If I used my insurance I would have had the
$500 deductible.

I now take the LDW on all business rentals.
Just curious what is meant by "Visa enhancement services" and what for instance a Visa Signature Card issued by Chase offers as coverage on rental cars and potential incidents ...

Many thanks,

kzoom
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:24 am

A couple of years ago I had a Thrifty car banged up by a hit-and-runner. I had declined all insurance as I had use my AmEx for the rental and they DID pay all the outstanding amount....however I had to file a claim with my insurance company 1st. Thankfully my rates didn't change (then), but I am now charged with a "report" by my insurance company.

I now use AmEx rental insurance ($19.95 per rental (NO PER DAY) up to something like 30 consecutive days) and don't have to report an accident to my insurance company. MUCH better deal than paying the high rental insurance fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.