Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anybody have experience with Hertz when you dent one of their cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody have experience with Hertz when you dent one of their cars?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by uftc
Received in the mail (yesterday) paperwork and copied pages of photos of damage to an H2 I turned in 11/12. I used points for the vehicle for a week and did not get the LDW assuming my Amex would cover it.

Apparently, standard Amex coverage excludes 'full size SUVs.' I swiped the side of a parking lever-arm, dented the rear quarter-panel and took out / off the chrome [colored] gas cover, damaging the gas intake. The total charge was $876, including a $136 administrative fee, $538 for parts & labor (approx. 10 hours), and $202 for loss of use, which sounds about right for a 1 day prestige rental.

Considering a $500 personal insurance deductible, I'm sending them a check ASAP out-of-pocket. I don't think I could have made out better unless my accident / incident report had been lost.
Me neighboor has an H2 with the chrome gas cap, you would be AMAZED at what they get for that piece of garbage add on...
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, LHW Access, Hertz PC
Wink

Originally Posted by nwaaok
Me neighboor has an H2 with the chrome gas cap, you would be AMAZED at what they get for that piece of garbage add on...
I'm pretty sure the detail of the charges put it at about $150. Way too much for a piece that cracks in 1/2 after not too much pressure and doesn't even super glue back together at all!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, LHW Access, Hertz PC
Correction

Originally Posted by uftc
I don't think I could have made out better unless my accident / incident report had been lost.
Calling the Hertz indiv. assigned to the claim helps! Based on other posts on this thread, I called and asked if the $136 admin. fee could be reduced or eliminated for PC, and was told 'the best [they] could do is take off $200.' Yee-haw!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by srmorgan
One story to relate,

We tell our employees not to take CDW on business trips, we have Amex and we have liability insurance to back it up.

One guy has a rental car, loses speed on a turn, flips over, car is a mess, he is fine.

Notify Hertz and they do not respond and send adjuster for several weeks as car sits in local garage parking lot.

When the bill came our insurance company paid all but the loss of use and adminstrative charges. We pay deductible to Hertz and tell them we won't pay admin or loss of use, almost $800.00.

I finally had to pay it after lots of letters but when they sent lawyer's collection letters to the driver I caved in . The loss of use and admin charges are buried in their standard boilerplate and we did not have any way to fight it

steve
Even though loss of admin charges are in the fine print, they also have to mitigate them. If they delayed getting the car repaired, that is their fault.
If they would not have rented the car on all of the days, then they are not entitled to the money. Was there any attempt at settling for less than the full amount?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I believe that I have this with my Platinum card. I pay $19.95 per rental and Amex Insurance is primary, not secondary.

I think this might be free with the Amex OPEN card, but I am not sure.
It's not free with Amex OPEN cards.

It's called Premium Car Rental Protection. You have to enroll in it (enrollment is free), and they'll charge you a flat fee every time you rent. There are two levels--one costs $24.95 per rental and provides $100,000 coverage, the other costs $19.95 per rental for $75,000 coverage. Oddly, California residents who usually pay more for everything are charged less ($17.95 and $15.95).

Besides being primary coverage for loss or damage to the car, it also provides Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage, excess coverage for medical expenses, and excess coverage for personal property.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 6:20 am

Auto Rental CDW

Originally Posted by kzoom
Just curious what is meant by "Visa enhancement services" and what for instance a Visa Signature Card issued by Chase offers as coverage on rental cars and potential incidents ...

Many thanks,

kzoom

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_dmg_waiver_personal.html?it=c|/personal/cards/benefits/index.html|Auto%20Rental%20Collision%20Damage%20Wa iver
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
In May this year, I had someone back into my rental (a PT Cruiser) while it was in a parking lot, out in rural New Mexico (I had picked it up at ABQ). The damage was to one of the rear tail lights, and possibly to the rear quarter panel. Hertz was fantastic with making sure I was ok and arranging a car swap at SFE, even giving me a Toyota Solara conv. Eventually, they sent me the bill, about $800 I think. Since I was on biz, my corporate Visa took care of it, they sent me details, and they were able to get the admin fee (something like $150) completely waived. All in all, not a bad experience.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex Plat used to cover loss of use charges but they enhanced this away a few years ago. Earlier this year, with loud fanfare, they brought it back. Same may be true for administrative fee coverage.

Basically, most of the time, loss of use can be bargained away unless the rental fleet as a whole for the company at that site is quite busy. Administrative fees must be justified in specific detail on demand, which also tends to make them go away often as well.

The lower end the rental company, the more the hassle. Hertz is definitely among the easier companies, possibly the easiest company, to work with in this regard.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:58 pm

One piece of advice that applies to any car accident, but especially to rental cars. If you are carrying a cell phone with a camera these days(and most people are), take pictures of the scene and the damage to both cars before leaving. If you think about what is on a typical accident report(diagrams, etc), a picture is literally worth a 1000 words, and it may help support your case if there is any ambiguity to who was at fault or how much damage was done, etc. Trust me, at the least, your insurance company will be very happy to have the documentation.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Thumbs down Dent with hertz really HURTS

A friend of mine got caught a few months ago in Sydney, rented a TOYOTA TARAGO and paid on Citibank Gold Visa, but someone in a car park scraped the car, on return to the depot (Sydney Airport), they charged him $4,300, where the rental was about $320 for 4 days, but they charged him the full excess of $4,000. After much prompting and threats to take them to Fair Trading they finally sent him an emial "We have now received the quote which I have attached. Hertz will be refunding the difference between the excess and repair cost in 2-3 working days". The repair quite was $360.58. he was lucky they didnt charge for "loss of revenue". So the moral of the storey is always pay on a cc that reduces the excess or just pay the excess. My friend always was a believe in not reducing the excess down, as he knows the rental car companies just apply it to their profit. they don't actually pay it to the insurance company.
Originally Posted by JLaw725
I've been renting cars for years. Mostly Hertz and Avis for business and National for personal use with family (need Emerald Aisle to chose the mini-van). Since Jan 06 I've been Hertz, almost every week. And for the first time in my life, I dented a car pulling out of a parking spot, smacking into a garage support pole. As I got out to look I was praying it was small and un-noticeable...not to be. Got a nice dent where the door met the front quarter panel, with some impressive paint transfer. (Funny that the week before my boss and I were discussing taking the LDW on our business rentals in the future, but this one was already booked) Hertz was very nice and had me fill out a vehicle accident report and said I would hear from them soon.

Has anyone had this happen? What can I expect now? (It's been two weeks and I haven't heard anything)

I got an estimate from a body shop in PHL, where it happened, just so I knew what the damage was ($1100). On the accident form I left the insurance information blank as I want to pay out of pocket. (Visa will reimburse me $500, my personal deductible).

Thanks for any info anyone might have.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 7:55 am

our Hertz Ford Focus in Spain (2005) was hit-and-run (while parked) in Cordoba, not major but probably several hundred dollars of damage. We had taken out the LDW or its equivalent for $92.

Returned the car in Sevilla, told them what happened, and never heard another word about it.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Interesting thread! Just yesterday on a business trip with my Hertz Impala parked in a 4P Norwalk CT parking lot, I came out in the morning to see a big dent in the right rear bumper. Went back in, brought out the hotel manager who took pics, and wrote up a report. When I returned the car to Hertz in Stamford CT, they were very good about letting me know my company's policy covers damage .(So that's why we pay $70 via corporate travel, when if booked via Hertz website for the same car/day it's $28 ) He also went on to tell me the majority of car renters who have damage never tell them about it. Which I thought was odd, Hertz looks at the car after you return it, don't they?? And they have all your information listed. I filled out the one page form and left my biz card, but the manager said, they probably wouldn't even have to contact me. Hope that's the case, but I do have all the copies of information.
Bobolat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.