Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware using Hertz in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Beware using Hertz in Ireland

I arranged a car for my parents at DUB for a weekend. On arrival they declined all coverage as they are covered by their credit cards. When the bill came through there was a 25 Euros admin recovery fee added on top of the total charges, this was on the rental agreement they signed at the counter but they were not notified of it. I have emailed twice and now have received an email back from Hertz saying the charge is added when the customer declines the coverage to cover Hertz' charges in case of damage.

I will be emailing Hertz again as i am still not satisfied but just wanted to warn others.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by westers
I arranged a car for my parents at DUB for a weekend. On arrival they declined all coverage as they are covered by their credit cards. When the bill came through there was a 25 Euros admin recovery fee added on top of the total charges, this was on the rental agreement they signed at the counter but they were not notified of it. I have emailed twice and now have received an email back from Hertz saying the charge is added when the customer declines the coverage to cover Hertz' charges in case of damage.

I will be emailing Hertz again as i am still not satisfied but just wanted to warn others.
Would be interested in hearing the end result of this. I rent at DUB regularly and have not encountered this before. I use my US Diners Card and decline the CDW and liability insurance.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz PC, Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm thinking that is the airport recovery fee that they charge as well here in the States when you pick up the car at the airport. Its a fee that you I don't believe you can get around (although if you don't rent that often and complain enough, i'm sure you can probably get it taken off).
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:32 am

this was on the rental agreement they signed at the counter but they were not notified of it.
They were notified in writing. They simply chose not to read what was put in front of them before signing.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
They were notified in writing. They simply chose not to read what was put in front of them before signing.
Even if they had of seen it though it was 11p.m in DUB if they could have actually managed to get a car elsewhere they would have been truly stung and driving in the early hours.
It wasn't the airport fee, as that is noted elsewhere and was included in the total approximate charges. Surely in the optional extras section online where the waivers etc. are this should be noted. The point that irks me is that i believe it is a made up charge by the agent to make up the money they are not receiving from the insurances.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Surely in the optional extras section online where the waivers etc. are this should be noted. The point that irks me is that i believe it is a made up charge by the agent to make up the money they are not receiving from the insurances.
You mean that this should be noted in the Hertz online where they present the waivers?

At least under Super-CDW there is the following note:

"If you choose to rely on your credit card for cover, we strongly recommend that you fully understand the terms and conditions of any cover provided by your credit card company before you decline any of our optional services. Please note an administration fee of EUR 25.00 will apply for the use of this cover."

I didn't bother to check the rest of the waivers.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:35 am
Original Poster

oops, never seen that, guess i will never use hertz in ireland then
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
oops, never seen that, guess i will never use hertz in ireland then
Very well hidden

But is that really a reason for dropping Hertz Ireland? We all know that Hertz is not the cheapest but 25EUR / rental is not so much.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miikka
But is that really a reason for dropping Hertz Ireland? We all know that Hertz is not the cheapest but 25EUR / rental is not so much.
They visit quite often usually for 2 days only so it adds up to quite an amount over the year.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by miikka
You mean that this should be noted in the Hertz online where they present the waivers?

At least under Super-CDW there is the following note:

"If you choose to rely on your credit card for cover, we strongly recommend that you fully understand the terms and conditions of any cover provided by your credit card company before you decline any of our optional services. Please note an administration fee of EUR 25.00 will apply for the use of this cover."

I didn't bother to check the rest of the waivers.
So you have to look up information about a waiver in order to find out what happens if you DON'T get it?

Next they'll add a "didn't rent a big enough car fee" that you only see if you look for information about fullsize and above cars. Of course, the fee will only apply if you rent a smaller car.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
FYI, MasterCard will no longer provide this coverage in Ireland (or Israel or Jamaica) as of Sept 1.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Loran
FYI, MasterCard will no longer provide this coverage in Ireland (or Israel or Jamaica) as of Sept 1.

Could you give some more details? Does that leave Diners as the only option for credit card insurance?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sapman986
Could you give some more details? Does that leave Diners as the only option for credit card insurance?
Unfortunately, I don't really have any more to give . I just got an insert on the new Master Rental rules with my last credit card statement; I think this was the main change. I'm not sure if the other credit card companies provide coverage in these countries.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:47 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Just went there twice in the past two weekends, all one-day rentals, and got the €25 charge. They said it's "just in case there's an accident." This is outrageous, and my credit card DOES cover Irish car rentals. Visa no longer covers it, but Mastercard does.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
I just noticed that all my Irish Hertz rentals this year had this 25 Euro charge. It is **not** part of the online quote, but as mentioned above, is added in when you decline CDW. How does this fee square with Hertz policy - seems like a "hidden" charge to me, given that most US customers are used to using CC CDW coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.