IDL required for US citizen in Europe?

Old Apr 28, 06, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Plat/LT Gold, MR Gold, Hertz President's Circle
IDL required for US citizen in Europe?

I've rented many cars in Europe in the past without an International Driver's License and never had a problem. I just made a reservation for a rental in Spain in July and noticed a "Warning Message" in bold print stating that non resident renters require an IDL. It may have always been a requirement and I just never read the fine print before.

Should I apply for an IDL or is my NJ license all that's required in Europe?
Old Apr 29, 06, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is country dependent. Officially, you need an IDL in Spain. They don't check at rental counter, so you may get away with it. The problem is what if you are stopped by a cop? I would get one if I were you.
Old May 1, 06, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Plat/LT Gold, MR Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks. I was leaning towards getting one just to be sure. Sounds like cheap insurance.
Old May 2, 06, 1:29 pm

Probably worth it just to avoid hassle if stopped. But do realize that it's not an official document - just a translation of your U.S. state-issued license.
Old May 3, 06, 6:56 am

Programs: marriott platinum
Originally Posted by SealBeach
Probably worth it just to avoid hassle if stopped. But do realize that it's not an official document - just a translation of your U.S. state-issued license.
If you have the New NJ DL with the Picture, it should not be a problem. The Translation is not a major issue, it is the picture. The Old UK DL never had a picture and would need an International to be with it. These were certified by the RAC & AA (UK's version of AAA)
Old May 3, 06, 7:59 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I rented a Hertz car last fall (October 2005), and was never asked for an IDL at the Hertz counter. I did get an IDL just in case - the $10 or so cost was worth the piece of mind.
FYI, the Hertz counter at the MAD train station (Atocha) was, without a doubt, provided me my worst rental experience! Long lines, incompetent and argumentative agents, etc. Hope you're not renting from there!