Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz claims I didn't fill gas tank - adds fuel charge to bill

Old Jan 23, 06, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Amtrak Select Plus, National Exec Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver

I rented last week from LAN - a franchise location. I rent there about once a month.

Normally, I do at most 20 miles of driving, and depending on the car, the fuel gauge may not move at all. But either way, I stop for gas a couple miles from the airport and top off.

I did this last week, and of course the gauge said full when I returned it. A few days later, the charge hits my credit card, and it's about $10 more than it's supposed to be.

So I call Hertz. The first thing I get told is - oh, this is a franchise location - we can't see their billing info, I have to get someone from that location on the line for you.

Ok, so I tell the person at LAN the situation, that I DID fill the gas. She basically responds, well, our records show the car needed gas, there's nothing I can do about it. We go back and forth, and she won't budge. She says I can take it up with Hertz customer relations.

So, I call Hertz back, tell them the situation. The CSR says, ok, I will talk to the rep at LAN and tell them you're PC and that we'd like the charge removed as a courtesy. She puts me on hold, comes back, and says that LAN has agreed to credit the charges. She then tells me that if I have any further issues I need to follow up with LAN.

There are a couple of things that are irritating me here:

1) The "it's a franchise" argument doesn't fly with me. Hertz's name is on the place, I expect Hertz to be able to rectify the situation. Period.

2) If the fuel gauge says F (it was actually a bit fuller than the "F") then what's the deal here? They go and see how much they can squeeze into the tank and then charge me for it?

3) Although she said she would credit the charge, it's been 3 days and I haven't seen anything. How long should I allow, and if it doesn't come through, should I call corporate or the franchise. Seeing that the franchise was less than helpful, I really don't want to call them again.

I'm amazed that they would give a PC such a hard time over less than $10. Evidently, they aren't subscribing to the philosophy of "the customer is always right."
Old Jan 23, 06, 9:23 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
The "customer is always right" is for suckers and con artists to use and abuse businesses. So, I certainly don't know why folks would think that is correct.

This is the situation where a gas receipt from a nearby gas station just before you return your vehicle would come in handy.

If you said you refuel, just send them a copy of your gas receipt.

And, also whatever happen to your rental return receipt?
Old Jan 24, 06, 3:23 am

I always look at my return receipt so if there are any problems I can handle it before I leave the lot.
Old Jan 24, 06, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Amtrak Select Plus, National Exec Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by safetymom
I always look at my return receipt so if there are any problems I can handle it before I leave the lot.
As do I. This is a location where you record the fuel level, bring the paperwork inside and they print up a receipt for you. They added the fuel charge later.
Old Jan 24, 06, 5:24 am

Sorry to hear that you did all the right things and then got hit with a fuel charge.
Old Jan 24, 06, 5:58 am

I always get a receipt for my petrol I put in a rental car and keep it.

If they try any stunts, I can use that as evidence that I put petrol in, and using the average miles/gallon (or L/100km) for the car show that it is roughly correct.

I've never had a similar issue though.
Old Jan 24, 06, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
The "customer is always right" is for suckers and con artists to use and abuse businesses. So, I certainly don't know why folks would think that is correct.
It is? I fail to see how anyone is trying to use and abuse Hertz here. It sounds like the Hertz location is trying to scam the customer. A PC customer who probably hasn't called about gas charges before is now calling about a charge on a rental where he drove 20 miles. If the Hertz agent is really willing to think and apply logic to this situation, it should be extremely easy to conclude that this is not a con artist. No con artist in the world would invest the time/effort of calling Hertz to steal one gallon of gas. The agent should have credited the customer immediately - end of story.

And I agree about the franchise location excuse: that's lame. If there's a big yellow sign outside that says "Hertz" on it, then Hertz owns the problem resolution - period. The customer should never know or care whether the location is franchise or not. If there's a system problem, fix it. If there's a process problem at the location, then Hertz needs to remind them that the sign outside their building won't say "Hertz" much longer if they don't fix it. Don't put it back on the customer. This in general is a major pet peeve of mine, although thankfully it hasn't been a problem for me with Hertz in particular.
Old Jan 24, 06, 9:46 am

I have to wonder sometimes if they aren't told to add fuel charges if there is any question about the mileage driven. It just seems that it happens too often to be random.

I agree that if it says Hertz outside, on the contract, on their shirts, etc. it is a problem that corporate Hertz needs to handle. Making customers track down the correct person is a good reason to move to another company.

Hertz has always been good to me but if they start doing this I think many people will think twice before renting with Hertz.
Old Jan 24, 06, 10:59 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I haven't had this happen to me, but a couple times at PIT I have gotten a car that someone drove about 20-30 miles after filling the tank, which is similar though shouldn't equal even $10 worth. The needle in the gauge still points at the F mark, but when I filled the tank myself later, the needle pointed somewhat above the F mark. The first time I actually noted it in my comment card, and Hertz sent me a couple of the $10 off coupons. (I actually used one the other day, finally, but she said it wouldn't let her put in both despite the fact that it says you can use two on one rental.) The second time I simply did the same thing, filled up about 20 miles away from the airport on my way back there.

I suggested in the comment card that they top off the tanks rather than just accepting the gauge reading, but that would mean either charging people for probably less than a gallon of gas or eating the difference, so I won't hold my breath. Still, it's worth noticing. I haven't seen a car yet recently that didn't point a little above the full mark when it's really full (and I don't mean topped off, just filled until the nozzle clicks). So if it's only pointing right at that mark, it could have 1/2 to 1 gallon already gone.
Old Jan 24, 06, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by LPCJr
I rented last week from LAN - a franchise location. I rent there about once a month.

Normally, I do at most 20 miles of driving, and depending on the car, the fuel gauge may not move at all. But either way, I stop for gas a couple miles from the airport and top off.

I did this last week, and of course the gauge said full when I returned it. A few days later, the charge hits my credit card, and it's about $10 more than it's supposed to be.

So I call Hertz. The first thing I get told is - oh, this is a franchise location - we can't see their billing info, I have to get someone from that location on the line for you.

Ok, so I tell the person at LAN the situation, that I DID fill the gas. She basically responds, well, our records show the car needed gas, there's nothing I can do about it. We go back and forth, and she won't budge. She says I can take it up with Hertz customer relations.

So, I call Hertz back, tell them the situation. The CSR says, ok, I will talk to the rep at LAN and tell them you're PC and that we'd like the charge removed as a courtesy. She puts me on hold, comes back, and says that LAN has agreed to credit the charges. She then tells me that if I have any further issues I need to follow up with LAN.

There are a couple of things that are irritating me here:

1) The "it's a franchise" argument doesn't fly with me. Hertz's name is on the place, I expect Hertz to be able to rectify the situation. Period.

2) If the fuel gauge says F (it was actually a bit fuller than the "F") then what's the deal here? They go and see how much they can squeeze into the tank and then charge me for it?

3) Although she said she would credit the charge, it's been 3 days and I haven't seen anything. How long should I allow, and if it doesn't come through, should I call corporate or the franchise. Seeing that the franchise was less than helpful, I really don't want to call them again.

I'm amazed that they would give a PC such a hard time over less than $10. Evidently, they aren't subscribing to the philosophy of "the customer is always right."
I agree the "it's a franchise location" comment isn't appropriate for how the situation should be resolved, but I can understand its relevance if there's a paperwork examination issue.

I'm surprised you were given a hard time, but it sounds like Hertz national CS got it straightened out. Hertz generally gives benefit of the doubt to customers (as they should given their pricing and their dependence on repeat business customer business).

I would wait at least a billing cycle for the credit to appear.
Old Jan 24, 06, 2:53 pm

Programs: LH, UA
I had a discussion with a Hertz CSR a couple of weeks ago at a downtown location in SFO. He asked me if I replaced gas, when I replied "it's full" he educated me on the subtle difference between "full" and "replaced". (I did replace gas though, so no further troubles.) Seems that they do make a difference...
Old Jan 24, 06, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by starbucks_MUC
I had a discussion with a Hertz CSR a couple of weeks ago at a downtown location in SFO. He asked me if I replaced gas, when I replied "it's full" he educated me on the subtle difference between "full" and "replaced". (I did replace gas though, so no further troubles.) Seems that they do make a difference...
Yes, it makes a difference to smart Hertz return people. If they ask if you replaced the gas and you say "it's full" it's almost a dead give away that you DIDN'T replace the gas, in which case they're likely to calculate how much gas you've used based on the miles driven.

As a funny aside, I once returned a car "full" without replacing the gas after only driving about 20 miles (and planning to just pay the Hertz charge to top it off), and the return girl (and I use the word deliberately because I'd guess she was about 17) said, "You did replace the gas, didn't you?" When I hesitated, she said more loudly, "DIDN'T YOU?" At which point I was still a bit confused, and she said to me, "Just say yes." So I said, "Yes." And she said, "Good. Thank you." And that was the end of it.
Old Jan 24, 06, 3:42 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LPCJr

Hertz will transact the credit at close of business they day you contact them ,it's then out of their hands as it enters the banking system. Here in the UK credit card / banks say to allow upto 7 full working days at least.

Hope this is some help.

Phil
Old Jan 24, 06, 6:49 pm

It would be a much better policy if the car rental companies worked out a system to share an onsite gas station at a reasonable price or the airport designs included a convenient gas station at or near the centralized car rental location. A 5-15 cents premium for that convenience would be easily absorbed by the customers.

But the car rental agencies wants to gouge the customers on the gas service with exhorbitant prices and that motivates many to get away without replacing and so leads to these kinds of problems.

The only industry worse than a car rental agency in regular customer gouging is the bank/credit card industry.
Old Jan 24, 06, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=venk]It would be a much better policy if the car rental companies worked out a system to share an onsite gas station at a reasonable price or the airport designs included a convenient gas station at or near the centralized car rental location. A 5-15 cents premium for that convenience would be easily absorbed by the customers.[QUOTE]

You would think they would do this. Yet at Cleveland's consolidated rental facility there is NOTHING anywhere near the place. If you don't get off a few highway exits early to fill up then it's a long, lonely drive past the rental center before a gas station finally appears.

On the other hand, DFW did this: there's a station right near the consolidated facility entrance.

Search this Thread