FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   How is Hertz at PHX? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/510750-how-hertz-phx.html)

Ord747Cle Jan 4, 2006 2:34 pm

How is Hertz at PHX?

I am a PC member and was wondering what everyone thought of Hertz at the Phoenix airport. As a PC, are the upgrades pretty good? Please share your thoughts!

mbtmsu Jan 4, 2006 5:38 pm

i have flown into phx three times in the last month and was never upgraded!

Ord747Cle Jan 4, 2006 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by mbtmsu
i have flown into phx three times in the last month and was never upgraded!

Well are you President's Circle??

cohusker Jan 5, 2006 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ord747Cle
I am a PC member and was wondering what everyone thought of Hertz at the Phoenix airport. As a PC, are the upgrades pretty good? Please share your thoughts!

I'm PC and I was upgraded this past July during a 4 day weekend. I was upgraded from a mid-size to an SUV.

I hope this helps!

tk77 Jan 5, 2006 1:04 pm

Decent upgrades but not great

I have been renting from PHX weekly since September. I am a PC member and I do get upgraded. I always reserve a mid-size and they generally upgrade me to the premium, full, luxury, or the small SUV class.

I have never been upgraded to prestige at this location.

MileKing Jan 6, 2006 9:40 am

Rented from PHX back in mid-December and received a nice upgrade to an SUV. However, return service was terrible. The location was clearly understaffed for a Sunday morning return. Only one rep was processing returns so the line of cars waiting was practically into the street. On top of that, the wireless range for their handhelds was only to the canopy so for every return the guy had to go to the car to get the ID info, then walk back to the canopy to process.

ijgordon Jan 6, 2006 8:34 pm

I haven't been to PHX in over a year, but I remember that Hertz was off-airport with a shuttle ride and there were a couple of on-airport companies in the parking garage that were much more convenient (e.g., Avis, Budget?)

IceTrojan Jan 8, 2006 6:05 am

Crap and a half! Why is Hertz so much more expensive? Looking for a 1-day rental on Jan 19, and base rate is $52 for an economy! Cheapest is $25, and even Budget is only $26.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I haven't been to PHX in over a year, but I remember that Hertz was off-airport with a shuttle ride and there were a couple of on-airport companies in the parking garage that were much more convenient (e.g., Avis, Budget?)

According to the PHX website, a new rental garage will open this month.

tk77 Jan 8, 2006 11:22 am

New Rental Center

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Crap and a half! Why is Hertz so much more expensive? Looking for a 1-day rental on Jan 19, and base rate is $52 for an economy! Cheapest is $25, and even Budget is only $26.

According to the PHX website, a new rental garage will open this month.

As of Jan 19th, all rental lot will be housed in the same building. In order to get to this facility, you must board the new shuttle that is operated by the airport. This means there will no longer be individual company shuttles (Hertz, Avis, Budget...).

Festus Jan 12, 2006 2:27 pm

In my experience at other airports, this switch is usually a negative. Sometimes bigger busses but always many more passengers to compete with in scrambling onto and off the bus with luggage. But I suppose it relieves airport traffic congestion.

The Uman Jan 16, 2006 11:22 am

Very Bad at PHX. The lot is on the other side of the city, it seems, and severely understaffed at peak drop off times. Also no Gas stations in the same Time Zone for refeuling (there is one, actually after the lot on the way back to the airport, but how oftern are you going to go past the drop off center?). The gas charge just frosts me when I have to pay it.

Because of the clientele, however, upgrades should not be a problem as long as you are not competing with a golf tourny or something. Lots of SUVs if that is your bag, baby...

Volvic Jan 19, 2006 6:34 am

PHX is the Phoenix airport in Arizona, USA, right ? If so, I just pass a humble suggestion. Do not rent with Hertz in PHX but rent with Hertz in Phoenix (the city, I mean).

You save a lot and can invest the difference in an upgrade, a sure one. I got a cab, went to the Hertz center in Indian School (or something named like it) and
a) it was not crowded
b) small but reasonable number of cars from which to choose
c) my drop off was at PHX (yes, the airport) with no extra cost and I was refunded the cost of the cab as stated in the reservation :D

I hope it can help you.

alanh Jan 20, 2006 4:51 pm

There are gas stations at 24th St and Washington, 16th St and Washington, or 7th St and Buckeye Rd. Note that the 24th & Washington locations tend to be expensive as they catch much of the returning rental traffic.

Redmen34 Jan 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Volvic
PHX is the Phoenix airport in Arizona, USA, right ? If so, I just pass a humble suggestion. Do not rent with Hertz in PHX but rent with Hertz in Phoenix (the city, I mean).

You save a lot and can invest the difference in an upgrade, a sure one. I got a cab, went to the Hertz center in Indian School (or something named like it) and
a) it was not crowded
b) small but reasonable number of cars from which to choose
c) my drop off was at PHX (yes, the airport) with no extra cost and I was refunded the cost of the cab as stated in the reservation :D

I hope it can help you.

I thought that was the case too. However, I just made a reservation for a Mustang convertible or similar and the price difference was only $13 or so. I have noticed that Hertz seems to drop the base price of the airport rentals to compensate for the taxes. I have not tried this with all classes of cars, but it seems to be the case on a number of them. To me it is worth an extra few bucks for the added convenience to just pick up at the airport. Did you compare prices and not have the same luck?

uscsailor Apr 30, 2007 11:20 pm

I have rented here as a PC 4 times in the last 3 months and have only been upgraded 1 time. I asked an employee at the desk late one night and they stated that the manager has mentioned on many occasions not to upgrade the PC members but to keep the nicer cars so they can upsell other customers. I usually go back in and tell them that I wnat an upgrade as per PC agreement.