Gold Counter vs. Gold Canopy?

Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Gold Counter vs. Gold Canopy?

I recently reserved a car for a weekend rental at DFW, where like the rest of Texas the daily rates are low but the surcharges are a killer (though thanks to the $20 coupon, Hertz ends up eating them).

Originally I didn't have my flight info, so I made the reservation without including it. Hertz sent me the automated email reminding me to add it to the reservation. I did this earlier today now that I've booked the ticket.

Nothing else on the reservation was changed. However, I noticed that my service has changed from "Gold Canopy" to "Gold Counter". Anybody know why this happened? My only other experience with "Gold Counter" is at locations where they don't have a gold canopy. My assumption is that since my service is now counter, my name will NOT be on the board and I'll have to go inside and stand in line.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
If DFW has Gold Canopy service, I don't see why your name won't be on the board, even if your rental contract says Gold Counter unless your flight is very late at night or very early in the morning, when they probably lock up the cars for security.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:58 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
My experience with Gold Counter hasn't been too bad. It's usually a dedicated position and when I go up to it the service folks immediately turn to get me out of the way. (Much to the chagrin of the people in line.)

As to why, if there is "canopy" service and you get called to the counter that usually means that something needs to be updated. (DL or CC expiry coming up?)

Not to be a pain...but are you certain that you booked the correct airport? Does DFW have a Hertz counter in a private aviation area?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by noah
I recently reserved a car for a weekend rental at DFW, where like the rest of Texas the daily rates are low but the surcharges are a killer (though thanks to the $20 coupon, Hertz ends up eating them).

Originally I didn't have my flight info, so I made the reservation without including it. Hertz sent me the automated email reminding me to add it to the reservation. I did this earlier today now that I've booked the ticket.

Nothing else on the reservation was changed. However, I noticed that my service has changed from "Gold Canopy" to "Gold Counter". Anybody know why this happened? My only other experience with "Gold Counter" is at locations where they don't have a gold canopy. My assumption is that since my service is now counter, my name will NOT be on the board and I'll have to go inside and stand in line.
I had the same thing happen today, also at DFW. I think there was a glitch with their site. I just pulled up my reservation with the confirmation number and it now has been changed to Gold Canopy.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
My upcoming Hertz DFW reservation also says "Gold Canopy" -- but not sure what that means exactly?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by elbidercni
My upcoming Hertz DFW reservation also says "Gold Canopy" -- but not sure what that means exactly?
"Gold Canopy" refers to the parking slots where they keep the cars. When you arrive at the rental area (by bus or walking), there will be a large board with names and parking stalls on it. Find your name, proceed to the indicated stall, and your vehicle will be there waiting for you, keys in the ignition and rental contract hanging from the rearview mirror.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
"Gold Canopy" refers to the parking slots where they keep the cars...
I guess that I never paid attention to what they called it. I've always just heard the agents refer to "Gold Service."
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
PIT is a sort of hybrid. It's called "Gold Counter", but it should be called "Gold Booth" as the "counter" is a booth out in the garage rather than a position at the regular counter. And they have a (small) name board out there as well. It's just that rather than having paperwork and keys in the car, you have to get the paperwork and keys from the agent in the booth. (For my rentals, the paperwork has been ready when I arrived.) Then get in your car and go. There is no gatekeeper at PIT; once you get your keys you just drive out.

It does have the main drawback of Gold Counter vs Canopy in that you might have to wait for a few people in front of you making adjustments or their first Gold rental or whatever.

I gather PIT is not the only station set up like this, but I haven't seen others except for SFO (which has a huge "Canopy" section).
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
PIT is a sort of hybrid. It's called "Gold Counter", but it should be called "Gold Booth" as the "counter" is a booth out in the garage rather than a position at the regular counter. And they have a (small) name board out there as well. It's just that rather than having paperwork and keys in the car, you have to get the paperwork and keys from the agent in the booth. (For my rentals, the paperwork has been ready when I arrived.) Then get in your car and go. There is no gatekeeper at PIT; once you get your keys you just drive out.

It does have the main drawback of Gold Counter vs Canopy in that you might have to wait for a few people in front of you making adjustments or their first Gold rental or whatever.

I gather PIT is not the only station set up like this, but I haven't seen others except for SFO (which has a huge "Canopy" section).
ALB is also set up like this (albeit a much smaller fleet of cars). In the evening, when there are fewer flights coming in, they close the booth and you have to stop at the counter inside the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.