Wiki Posts
Search

When does the clock start?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
When does the clock start?

If I have a car rented from 11A to 11A but pick it up at 2P due to a flight delay, does my 24 hours start at 11 or 2. Also, is there a grace period for PCs?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dparkinson
If I have a car rented from 11A to 11A but pick it up at 2P due to a flight delay, does my 24 hours start at 11 or 2. Also, is there a grace period for PCs?
24 hours from when you pick up the vehicle. No PC grace period beyond the normal 30 mins.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
When using #1 Gold, your contract is often pre-printed and the actual checkout time won't show up on your contract even after a reprint (sometimes the pre-printed pickup time is hours earlier than you show up). I make a note of when I actually picked up the car and mention it upon return, and I've never been over-charged for the extra time.

One plus of this rather sloppy tracking of pick-up time is that it's relatively easy to talk your way out of extra charges if you return the car an hour late or so (but I would not count on it!)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually they record the time you leave the lot if you're using the #1 Gold service.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:01 am

is OP a PC member (super frequent renter) & didn't know the rules already?

or was OP talking about PC codes?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
is OP a PC member (super frequent renter) & didn't know the rules already?

or was OP talking about PC codes?
It is pretty easy to be Presidents Circle and not know all the rules! You just drive them like they were your own, and get well looked after by regular rental lots. You never have to worry about irregularities and now the OP realises that something out of the usual is about to happen and asks a question!

I have been at PC for years. Regularly go to the same places. Am known by them and greeted by name as I walk up at the most regular ones where there is no Gold pickup. I was not aware of the intricacies of the rules on this topic either. When I have needed to extend (very rarely) I ring up the local Hertz office and they fix it. For relatively short extensions it has never been a problem and never a charge - which fits with Joshua's response. Only whole days have been charged. I never have had a problem - which is what I would expect at PC level of renting. It is an established business relationship to a mutual satisfaction - and that is what keeps the business going round.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by Joshua
When using #1 Gold, your contract is often pre-printed and the actual checkout time won't show up on your contract even after a reprint (sometimes the pre-printed pickup time is hours earlier than you show up). I make a note of when I actually picked up the car and mention it upon return, and I've never been over-charged for the extra time.

One plus of this rather sloppy tracking of pick-up time is that it's relatively easy to talk your way out of extra charges if you return the car an hour late or so (but I would not count on it!)
Be careful of rely on this.
Looks like Hertz is expanding the print on exit "feature."
My guess is they will start rolling this out at more of the spots that now have the Gold Choice Option.
One of the nice things about the Platinum Amex is the extra grace period.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by rthib
One of the nice things about the Platinum Amex is the extra grace period.
Yes, but I'm not sure the increased rates are worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.