Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst-run Hertz station?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NW SE, WN, Hertz 5*
Started flying to FLL to avoid MIA. The FLL station is outstanding compared to MIA 20 miles away.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:53 am

Programs: AP-E, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Flatliner
I rent almost every week from YUL, and they're not that bad, but could bit better.

-Car is never in a PC stall
-No electronic board (got to wait at the gold counter)
-Upgrades are a hit/miss (some of the agents are pretty greedy)
YUL is finally getting a Gold board and has moved in to a new location (rental center). Service still seems sketchy although pretty good on most days. As for other Montreal locations, there is a Hertz located in the IBM building (Drummond Street) downtown where I rent from often, this location is a real joke :

- Hertz Gold sign on the end of the counter but no defined queue line and there's never any one there to greet you, so you queue up with everyone else.

- I once returned a car and proceeded to the counter where I found the only staff member leisurely chatting on the phone with a friend for about 5 mins until I got fed up and shot her a dirty look.

- I have never seen more than one staff maning the counter at this location yet there always seems to be 3-4 other employees hiding in the back.

- Cars are generally clean but it annoys me that they do not offer smoke-free cars and you end up getting a vehicle that was previously used as an ashtray.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Clt

I'm going to add CLT to the list here. I seem to have a problem there every time.

I won't even complain about the 35,000-mile Corolla they gave me...

Last week, I had an overzealous return agent. I put about 40 miles on the car, put in some gas before returning it, they try to charge me for fuel. I notice this, the agent says it wasn't full. The car gets pulled away, we have to chase it down. 2 agents are cleaning it, they say it's full.

The agent says he won't adjust it without a receipt. I tell him he already made me miss one bus, now I have to dig through my receipts? I told him to charge me whatever, and I'll deal with someone inside, who is more reasonable, who will give me a discount for this runaround you're giving me.

Inside, I find my receipt, get them to adjust it off. The return agent comes running in and tells them that he managed to squeeze a little gas in the tank. The manager motions to have him leave, and I tell him that I'm already getting a discount because of him, and I intend to write into corporate about him, and he should probably stay out of it before he gets in more trouble and/or costs Hertz even more money. He leaves.

Last I checked, the car needs to be returned full, not dripping gas out of the tank. What's funny, is that this guy was so anal about gas, the last time I was there, they tried to give me a car with 7/8 of a tank.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
IAD, for shhhure.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: SQ-S.PPS, DL-G, NW-G, BD-G, US-G, UA-GS
SJC (San Jose Apt, CA)

One particular male-diva employee gets my vote as the WORST EMPLOYEE ever.

-A
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:24 am
Suspended

I vote for DCA
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by hypervoyage
IAD, no doubt.

Last time I was there they didn't prepare the car, so I had to go to the counter. Reserved a fullsize and the person behind the counter asked me whether I would like to upgrade to a Premium for an extra payment. Being a five star member, I asked him why I had to pay for this, as my "status" would entitle me to an upgrade anyhow.

"You're not entitled to an upgrade sir, only when we have an upgrade available" was his response. "But you how can you not have the upgrade available?" I asked him, "...when you've just tried to upsell me?" He sighed, did not respond and said "Okay then, here you go..." and handed me the keys to the Premium..

You might imagine how I felt later that day after discovering he still *did* charge me for the upgrade
Above post was made 1.5 years ago and seems nothing has changed so far .. I had the same experience last Friday.. and I am a president's circle member..
IAD is worst.. I have been renting with them for about a year now..I do not have choice as my company has a contract with them .. I complained atleast 4 times to hertz corporate .. no response.. may be I am complaining too much .. 4 times a year.. !! ..
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver
LAS Blows

I vote for Las Vegas airport. It was my first...and probably last time renting from Hertz. Regardless of whether or not I had status or was a VIP, there is a baseline expectation for service, and I've never seen it so bad before at any rental company.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Folks - When you post to this thread, don't just say "I vote for ....". Tell us WHY you think that location is the worst, what experience did you have with them.

That is a whole heck of a lot more helpful than one sentence fragment.

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA, US, IB. Low man on the totem pole again.
Sfo!!!

I rent at this station approx. 6 times per year every year for the past 6 years... the problems are:

1. Name NEVER up on the board. When questioned, the usual response is shrugging of the sholders.
2. Really RUDE Gold Counter agents down in the gargage.
3. Requested car type is not available MOST of the time.
4. Cars are poorly maintained, high miles and dirty.
5. Long walk from the AirTrain to the garage.
6. Longer walk from the return to the AirTrain.
7. The AirTrain
8. Return employees insist that the gas is not full... even when it is...
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta PM,CRC, AA,CO,HHonors Diamond,Marriott Platinum,Priority Club Platinum
I vote for SJC and TUL, where the agents are rude and just do not listen to the customer.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Today' ATL experience.

They were having us return on the second level. The lower level of thier garage was EMPTy but all the cars were being shipped upstairs where there was NO space left. So we were all lined up while they tried to shove MORE cars in there. Of couse the ONLY way up to the second level was the way the cars came so the buses to take you to the airport were STUCK. I waited through THREE buses before I got on one after they FINALLY found a place to stick the car. (And quit yelling at us. The customers did NOT ask for this mess....)

Getting the car checked in was a nightmare too.....Since they were sticking us anywhere you had to tackle your own agent for this.

ATL is run by IDIOTS!!! If it wasn't for the very nice HLE near me I would abandon Hertz all together!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:46 am

Programs: Plenty
Frankfurt Airport & Sydney Airport

So much for Hertz being global. (Some/most/all?) overseas locations are apparently franchised. Many of these franchises live of Hertz's US brand position and have little interest in providing a quality experience.

Frankfurt. Just bad experiences. Car not gassed up to the tune of $ 20 at pick up. Dirty cars, including empty waterbottles rolling in the footwells. Garbage in the trunk. Returns during rush hours can be excruciating long. The winner: A urine soaked rear bench. No wonder Hertz is an also ran in Germany, both Sixt and Europcar are cheaper and better.

Sydney. No upgrades. Ever. Despite Hertz status, requests, and plenty of cars available. Some cars I rented had already 35,000 Miles plus on them. These cars tend to be dinged and dented all over. As a result, the pick up status sheet takes 3 minutes to complete since most of these dings and dents are not marked. It feels like renting from Thrifty, just for more money.

Also dubious: SJC, SEA, and yes, IAD. Shuttles in Boston may take you into the city as well given shuttle times.

Last edited by travelcomments; Feb 13, 2007 at 3:52 am
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:04 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
ORD is way up there for me.

Last time I rented there, I showed up late at night. I reserved the car around 8:00 pm for an 11:30 pickup. Several near-empty Hertz buses drive by and refuse to be flagged down; I eventually step into traffic to get one to stop. I give the driver my name and am dropped off at the gold board... only to find my name not there. And the gold customer service booth is closed, of couse. So I trudge over to the normal CS desk and get in the long line there, as they aren't doing anything to expedite gold rentals.

It seems nearly everyone ahead either does not have a car reserved AND wants complicated directions, OR has a reservation but wants to make massive changes to it. Fine, that's not Hertz's fault, but annoying nonetheless.

One clerk just leaves, and apparently not due to end of shift or anything, as the other two wonder audibly where she went. Oh, well, just abandon several customers in line. Then I finally get to the desk and explain I have a gold rental but didn't find my name on the board. The idiot at the counter treats me like I've never rented a car before (mind you, as a 5* I rent at least 10x a year). He procedes to mess up my rate, gives me no u/g, tries to push the insurance and gas options on me, messes up the return date/time (making it a two-day rental rather than one), asks inane questions he doesn't deserve answers to, like, "Is this for business or leisure?" and "Why are you renting today?" To top it all off, he then authorizes my card for 2x the already inflated estimated rental charges, "plus $50," he explains.

I figure I can just fix everything with Hertz later without dealing with this idiot any more, which I do (I get my correct rate and for one day rather than two), so I at last get the heck out of there.

Oh, and TPA is fairly bad as well. At an airport that large, why do I have to go to the counter? And they can't figure out how to apply free rental coupons, and apply them for the wrong amounts when they do (last time I was there, they applied one for $35 when the rental base rate, pre-tax, was $39/day, for example).
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:10 am

With the way this thread is going, over half of stations in North America are going to be on the bad list...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.