How to complain?

Old Jul 7, 11, 5:38 pm

Thumbs down Sour Hertz Cheerios

Hi,

On July 4 weekend me and my wife flew to Wisconsin to visit friends. The weather is beautiful there this time of year. I rented a Hertz mid-size car using their website for 6/30 thru 7/3 at a rate of $121. Upon our 10 AM arrival at the booth the agent immediately recommended a $5 per day upgrade to full-size. I agreed to the charge, it's vacation. She then offered to charge for a full tank of gas upfront, I was reluctant but again I agreed. I had to decline all other additions. My estimated bill was now $222 upon my return at 10 AM, July 3.

We drove off, maybe paying too much but what can you do?

On Monday morning, return day, I was sure to calculate an empty tank return. I accomplished this task. When we arrived back at the counter we found Budget and National agents present, but no Hertz agent and a closed window. In place of human I noticed a sign explaining a small form to fill out with my return mileage, fuel, car number, and name. As you would, I left the car in the airport parking lot outside, but for some reason I did remember the mileage was 7,159 miles. I finished writing on the form and stuffed it with the car key through the small slot in the counter.

The next morning I checked my email to find a Hertz receipt for $257.
Hmmm, well that is $35 higher than my original bill. I called Hertz and explained my heartache. The agent told me she was sorry and that her manager would call me about this refund. Two days go by and no word, so I call back. The same agent answered; I was cordial and asked to speak with the manager. She apologized about the manager's shift being over already but did remember me. She said that my contract explained I would be charged an extra day due to the holiday and that there was a sign on their counter about that as well. "That won't work for me," I said. If that had been the case from the start, my estimated bill should have read $257 and not $222. I asked for her to take my name and number and have the manager call me as soon as she could. The agent was very nice and said she sure would.

Well see what happens, but after finding this forum, I think I will go ahead and email my story to the customer relations address. Maybe they can do better than the Wisconsin manager?
Old Aug 7, 11, 1:13 pm

Thumbs down Hertz RIP OFF!!!

On July 22,2011 I had to fly into Philly, Pa from Tuscaloosa, Al due to a medical emergency with my youngest son in Dover, De. Upon arrival in Philly I rented a car from Hertz to drive to Dover. I rented the cheapest car possible, Toyota really a piece of crap. But it got me where I needed to be. The car was taken back to Hertz in Dover July 23, 2011 12:45, less than 24 hours. But knew I would pay for a full day, no problem. My contract stated 47.93 per day, expected around $100 would be the charge. Boy was I wrong!!! Hertz charged my debt card $207.10 for that piece of S**t car!!!! I called customer service to complain & they took off $100 & credited my debt card, which was still too much to pay for that car!!!
Two weeks later I rented a mid size car from BUDGET to get me and a few others back to Philly for a return flight. It was a very nice car, 2011 model Impala. I paid less for that car & my son and daughter-in-law kept it 24 hours.
WILL NEVER EVER USE HERTZ RIP OFF RENTAL AGAIN!!!! AND NEITHER WILL ANY OF MY FAMILY OR FRIENDS!!!!! HERTZ LOST A LOT OF CUSTOMERS DUE TO THEIR GREED!!!!!!!
Old Aug 7, 11, 2:19 pm

It sounds like you're comparing a Hertz flat rate corporate plan with a mileage charge for intercity one-ways to a Budget unlimited miles retail rate.

An "estimated total" is likely to be inaccurate, because it is calculated as the crow flies, whereas the final total is based on the actual odometer reading.

Ex, My family member took an Avis minivan one-way from Albany NY to lower NYS, using a corporate flat rate plan. The miles cost more than the base rate, and the final total was $20 more than the estimated total. But I calculated the original estimate would be wrong, based on Google Maps. And it was still cheaper than the lowest available unlimited miles retail price.

It also sounds like you are comparing one-way from a big market to a smaller one, to the reverse, one-way smaller to bigger. You didn't say what Hertz would have charged to do Dover to PHL, or what Budget would have charged to do PHL to Dover. Your corporate plan may have had a lower base rate, with the same mileage charge. The unlimited miles rate likely would have been different, probably lower than PHL to Dover.

When you said $100 is too much to pay for a ratty old car, please keep in mind two things: 1) Hertz likes to give away the worst car they have for one-ways. 2) Paying a high price to one-way out of an expensive high demand market does not guarantee a nice car, just getting a car. $100/day one-way out of NYC, for example, would often be considered low.
Old May 8, 12, 1:35 pm

We got a car, hadn't we started our trip its broke up, and when we called emergency service they kept saying that tow truck is on the way, but it arrived after 5 hours, I was so angry, hungry and they told me no to leave a car I couldn't even walk up to buy food with...and it was frozen and we couldn't turn up A/C...
Never gotta use it again!
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:47 pm

SFO Warning

Plain and simple. DO NOT RENT FROM HERTZ SFO
Unsatisfactory vehicle
No interest in resolving my concern
Voicemail hell
They didn't even want to know my contract number to help
You have been warned
Old Sep 30, 15, 8:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natonal EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Originally Posted by marcosresto View Post
Plain and simple. DO NOT RENT FROM HERTZ SFO
Unsatisfactory vehicle
No interest in resolving my concern
Voicemail hell
They didn't even want to know my contract number to help
You have been warned
Many people rent there every day and have perfectly fine experiences. One vague post here won't do much good Why don't you share some details, what steps you've taken to complain, etc., so then perhaps others here can offer you ideas and guidance?

Otherwise... what's the point?

-J.
Old Aug 20, 16, 1:57 pm

Very Unpleased

We rented a car from here to take our family vacation. We used Discount Cars & trucks in Ripley Tn. At first everything was good. Went to walmart got a prepaid card & rented a 2016 nissan. The car ran great, cold ac & besides needing a break light we didn't have any problems. We returned the car as agreed. Now its been almost 2 months & we still haven't received our 200$ deposit. They are saying its because we used a prepaid card but they accepted the card & took our money so why is it such a problem now to give us back our deposit. We have called & called, my husband has even spent hours on the phone with them. We have sent letters & even went back to Donna Ellis & had them call & send a letter & yet their is still a problem. We will never use them again or a prepaid card for that matter. We just want our money please!
Old Aug 20, 16, 9:31 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Price0508 View Post
We rented a car from here to take our family vacation. We used Discount Cars & trucks in Ripley Tn. At first everything was good. Went to walmart got a prepaid card & rented a 2016 nissan. The car ran great, cold ac & besides needing a break light we didn't have any problems. We returned the car as agreed. Now its been almost 2 months & we still haven't received our 200$ deposit. They are saying its because we used a prepaid card but they accepted the card & took our money so why is it such a problem now to give us back our deposit. We have called & called, my husband has even spent hours on the phone with them. We have sent letters & even went back to Donna Ellis & had them call & send a letter & yet their is still a problem. We will never use them again or a prepaid card for that matter. We just want our money please!

Is this even a Hertz franchise?
Old Aug 24, 16, 6:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
Is this even a Hertz franchise?
Apparently so: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/unitedstates/tennessee/ripley/MKLW04

Looks like it's also a dealer and repair shop. The reviews on Google are terrible...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: