Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Second, different, rental agreement received 10mins after collection

Old May 25, 2024, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards

Just collected a rental from a major airport location in the US.
Presidents circle, reserved D (pay at location not prepaid), name on board and email confirmed can choose as usual.
Chose a small SUV from PC section.
Left, all good.

Rental agreement received by email at time of leaving titled hertz gold rental agreement with the correct (booked) rate (D), dates (week + extra days), times, discount, included LDW etc, and also reflecting presidents circle and all the details of the correct car as picked from the presidents circle lot.

8 mins later, a second rental agreement received - titled hertz rental agreement arrived.
exact same details, rental record number, vehicle details and every thing else, only in this one it has in the additional products section a vehicle upgrade fee per day, which when added to the total over doubles it!

There were also two separate pre-auth charges for different amounts on my card, which combined total the exact anuthorization amount on the second email.

Is this is a known glitch, or is the later one an erroneously corrected one that for some reason has charged me for a PC lot choice, and I have to waste some time calling them to get it corrected?
Old Jun 1, 2024, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Please name the location.
Sounds like the agent at the gate incorrectly charged you for an upgrade to the vehicle you picked from the PC area.

Did you get this resolved or are you still on the rental? I'd be certain when you return the car, you're going to get charged the higher cost with upgrade fee. I would've had this taken care of asap and even drove back to the rental location to get it fixed.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
It was MSP and I didnt get it resolved.

Phone line said couldnt do anything as it was a rental in progress.
They told me the rental location could fix it and gave me the phone number for the location which Ive been trying for a week which was never answered, other than once where someone picked up and immediately hung up without saying anything!

I just returned it this morning, and the return guy said to go speak to the guy in the office to sort it out. Guy in office said I had to call main number and they would sort it out!
I know full well the full charge will hit and I have to now waste time on the phone getting it corrected.

Not impressed.
xienon likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could've fixed it at the rental counter when you returned it, especially with is being a major airport location. They just were lazy and didn't want to do anything... just like the people who don't answer the phone or hang up int he rental office. Unfortunately you're going to have to waste what is likely a huge amount of time chasing that down now to get it corrected.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Pro Tip -- always have a conversation with the gatehouse checkout agent. Something to the effect of: this car was in the President's Circle area so I am entitled to take it at my reserved rental rate.

You might also add: the gas tank is at "n" [usually full, but announce if otherwise] and the odometer reads "x."
Old Jun 3, 2024, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Pro Tip -- always have a conversation with the gatehouse checkout agent. Something to the effect of: this car was in the President's Circle area so I am entitled to take it at my reserved rental rate."
I did exactly that! I specifically said it was from the presidents circle lot - the emailed receipt I received immediately was the booked rate, to the cent, and all was good, so I left.
It was only when we got to our initial destination, that I noticed the second receipt that had been sent 8 mins later, with the upgrade added. Shady practice.

Pro tip: always take a photo of the cars location before you leave - thankfully I always do, and did, exactly this, and in this case you can clearly see the spot number and the presidents circle sign on the pillar behind on the same row. There is no ambiguity here, so if they won't fix it, I'll do a partial amex chargeback send them all the photos and screenshots and let them deal with it.

TBH, I'm more annoyed with the lazy employee who wouldn't fix it at the time of return when I know he absolutely could have. He even said 'you booked it on hertz.com, not through us, so sort it out with them' !
xienon and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like shady practice by Hertz at MSP, and makes me think this is not the first time they've overcharged somebody for taking a car from the PC area that should have no price difference.

If you don't get anywhere with Hertz, go to www.elliott.org and try the contacts he has listed for Hertz exec customer service contact and if that doesn't work, send a message to the elliott contact us/complaint link and they may be able to help since they provide assistance for things like this where companies take advantage of consumers.
xienon and leaveamessage like this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Still trying to get this resolved.
Call centre is useless - said that they have to email the location to get the upgrade refunded, and they can't do anything else until they have responded.
The agent did however, offer me a 'one time courtesy' of $300 refund which she could process......yet the erroneous upgrade charge (+ tax, as the upgrade is taxable) is over $450.... I sort of lost my rag over the phone when that was said.
But she made sure to thank me for being a Presidents Circle member - and how my loyalty was appreciated!

Something stinks here, and it's not my socks.

Anyway, come the end of the month and card payment date I'll have no option but to do a chargeback with amex if it isn't resolved, as I'm certainly not paying it on the vague promise of a refund sometime maybe.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try the executive customer care contact on Elliott.org

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/

If you don't get a response soon then submit a message on the Elliott website with information about what happened and ask for help. They are strong consumer advocates and I expect that will get results.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by leaveamessage

Anyway, come the end of the month and card payment date I'll have no option but to do a chargeback with amex if it isn't resolved, as I'm certainly not paying it on the vague promise of a refund sometime maybe.
You may end getting moved from PC status to DNR status for the chargeback, but reading all the recent messages here in this forum that may actually be a great upgrade.
xienon, Auto Enthusiast and jmw like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.