Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to protect yourself from future arrest when returning car

Old May 18, 2024, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

You know Hertz will just asks you to leave the key and go.
So, with the Hertz's history of accusing customers stealing car, what can you do to protect yourself when returning your rental?

1. Well, sure someone will say don't rent from Hertz from the start.
2. Take video?

What else one can do?
Old May 18, 2024, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
A video will not protect you from arrest. A cop pulling you over or showing up at your doorstep will not be interested in any evidence that you returned the car. If there is an arrest warrant or stolen car report, they will just follow standard procedure. Then again, is any police organization still accepting stolen car reports from Hertz?
Old May 18, 2024, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

SO, I want to document my experience as it goes...
It all started with the Hertz employee telling me "Leave the key in the car and go." I obliged thinking someone will check in the car in the next few minutes.
While relaxing in the IAH UA club, I suddenly thought "where is the Hertz receipt email? I have not received it yet." The thought of my rental car was skipped during the returning check in process has me worry. I certainly don't want to go to jail.
Right before boarding my flight home. which was about 2.5 hours after I dropped off the car. I called the local station hoping to talk to someone. As expected from the google review, no one answered the phone and voicemail is full.
I quickly filled out the online customer care form to ask for help. By doing this, I hope I can tell them I contact them as soon as I think my rental was not closed out.
When I got home, I followed some FTer suggestion and tweet [MENTION=368386]her[/MENTION]tz for assistance. Reply was quick from them telling me to wait 24 to 48 hours for the local team to inspect and closed out the rental. I was like "huh?" I replied with "Should be rental be closed out when I returned the car, not days later?"
Now the waiting game begin...

I guess my luck with Hertz had run out. I finally is the guy they skipped at the return.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 20, 2024 at 5:00 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 20, 2024, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Called Corporate Monday morning with about 20 minutes wait time. As suspected, car was not checked in at return and rental not being closed out .
Requested will be sent to local office to close out the contract with 24-48 hrs response time .

Hertz should give renter options at return to wait for a agent check in or leave the key and go and take your chance.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:35 am

How does a video prevent a felony car stop when the car comes up as stolen on the plate reader of the cop car?
At an HLE Monday returning the car, was told to leave the rental slip and keys on driver the driver's seat as the two Hertz employees one was cleaning the car and returned in front of me and the other was checking out a customer.
Nope don't need guns drawn on me on my next rental, just getting rid of points now.
Old May 24, 2024, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
If no one is at the return area checking in cars that you can have check it in, you can always note fuel and milage and stop by the counter and have them close it out. Not ideal as it takes time, but it is an option.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: UAL
Im wondering, in such a situation (i.e. nobody to check you in, asked to leave keys in car) would it be prudent to take the keys with you and then , on the shuttle to the airport, say oh, silly me! I took the keys and leave the keys with the bus driver?
Old Jun 15, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: AA: PP, MM/LTG | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LT Ti | HH Diamond | IHG PLT | Avis PC | National Executive
Originally Posted by JBinVT
I’m wondering, in such a situation (i.e. nobody to check you in, asked to leave keys in car) would it be prudent to take the keys with you and then , on the shuttle to the airport, say “oh, silly me! I took the keys” and leave the keys with the bus driver?
(Assuming you mean Hertz' shuttle driver) Seems risky. A shuttle driver may or may not be a Hertz counter agent who can check in the vehicle and close out the rental. You're investing an awful lot of trust in such a case.
Old Jun 15, 2024, 1:54 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Why are people even still renting from Hertz?

I had to rent from them as no other agency had cars available on a trip last year (I guess that kind of says something). After return, they improperly charged me and it took them weeks to sort it out. The local office who caused the problem refused to answer the phone, and the worthless outsourced call center in Manila is staffed with people that probably can't even tie their own shoes, let alone fix billing problems. I would have disputed it with my credit card company, but the last time I did that 10 years ago they put me on the do not rent list.

Lesson learned again, don't rent from this scammy fraud of a company.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.