Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz: Return Car to Nearby Airport = Major (USD Hundreds) Surcharge?

Old May 15, 2024, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Can’t remember facing this one before, but certainly many of you will have. Because of an emergency in the family, I had to extend my Hertz (1 Club Gold, President’s Circle) rental and change return location from EWR to JFK. Called the 800 227 4653 number to get a human after a 24 minute wait, and the following transpired with “Abby” speaking with a heavy accent, possibly from SE Asia (does Hertz have a call center in the Philippines?).
After asking for my data (rental agreement, full name, date of birth) three times, I was told that returning the Newark rental to JFK was impossible, and that, if I tried to do this, I would be charged for Hertz towing the car from JFK to EWR and would be charged for any overtime on the rental.

Agent was polite, and so was I, but I insisted that this couldn’t be right, and could I please speak to a supervisor. Got the “they’re all busy, but one will call you back.” It has now been 9 hours and no one has called.

On the Hertz website there is a function to extend your rental, but not to change the return location. Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution? My car return and flight are tomorrow afternoon (16th) and I really don’t have time to return the car to EWR and find my own way to JFK.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by IAHtraveler; May 16, 2024 at 1:29 pm Reason: Update font, per OP request
Old May 15, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If you do not return the car to the return location specified in the contract, then you will be at Hertz' mercy re: additional fees. If you can possibly return the car to EWR and take an Uber or somesuch to JFK, that might be cheaper. It will definitely be more certain. If you cannot return the car to EWR, then you will be stuck with whatever Hertz charges you.
Old May 16, 2024, 5:13 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I doubt there is any rental agency that would not charge extra to return the car to a different airport than rented from. They would have charged extra if you had set the rental up that way in the beginning.
randix and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.