Hertz selling 1/3 of its EV fleet

Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by m907
And? What's your point? The Yankees are the most popular team in baseball, but that doesn't mean everyone wants to become or will eventually become Yankees fans.
​​​​​​
Did you not read what I've posted previously in this thread?

If you don't want an EV, don't get an EV. I've never tried to convince anyone that they should get one if they didn't want one.
Taikucing likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Did you not read what I've posted previously in this thread?

If you don't want an EV, don't get an EV. I've never tried to convince anyone that they should get one if they didn't want one.
You stated that a Tesla was the best-selling car as some sort of counterpoint.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by m907
You stated that a Tesla was the best-selling car as some sort of counterpoint.
The Model Y was the best selling car in the world in 2023. That is not an opinion.
Taikucing likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 6:37 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Let's stay on topic of Hertz and them selling part of their EV fleet and not attacking each other on their personal viewpoints of EVs.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:33 pm

At BWI this week, Hertz had one of the Ford "Mustang" Mach Es which is allegedly sold out in the upgrade section. It was still there unclaimed when I returned the next night.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:39 am

We were talking earlier about the time to recharge between rentals.

I just saw some information on DC charger installations designed for businesses with EV fleets. You can get 50kW DC chargers which would greater decrease the time to charge without the cost of a 250kW+ installation. My Level 2 charger at home charges at around 11kW so 50kW would be significantly faster.

The information I saw was talking about Kempower charging equipment. https://kempower.com/america/charging-solutions/
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. What do they do in the ICE world? Do larger stations have gas refueling on-site?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Interesting. What do they do in the ICE world? Do larger stations have gas refueling on-site?
Refueling a gasoline rental car before returning doesn't take very long and is not a significant inconvenience for the renter. EVs take longer, especially if it was at a high state-of-charge when picked up due to the charging curve.

What works well for a ICE rental vehicle doesn't necessarily work well for an EV rental. To have a successful EV rental business, you need to drop some of the conventions used with ICE rentals and develop a process that better fits EVs.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Refueling a gasoline rental car before returning doesn't take very long and is not a significant inconvenience for the renter. EVs take longer, especially if it was at a high state-of-charge when picked up due to the charging curve.

What works well for a ICE rental vehicle doesn't necessarily work well for an EV rental. To have a successful EV rental business, you need to drop some of the conventions used with ICE rentals and develop a process that better fits EVs.
I totally agree - I was just curious about how the ICE rental world worked.

The ability to recharge on-site and to not have to deal with gasoline seems like another reason rental car companies would prefer EVs to me.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by josephstern
Large CONRACs typically have facility-operated on-site fueling. Sometimes they're collocated with the QTA (detailing) area and others they're a consolidated "gas station" that each company has codes/cards/badges/etc. for.

Major and even mid-sized non-CONRAC airport operations also often have their own fuel pumps operated by the rental agency itself. Some larger non-airport offices do, too (one city location I'm familiar with has an above-ground tank with an old-school mechanical fuel pump attached to it right next to their rental office).

Neighborhood branches, like ones the size of a typical Enterprise branch, generally don't have on-site fueling, and this is where you'll often encounter cars that don't come with a full tank. At one point, I believe Enterprise's corporate policy was to rent cars out with whatever they came back with as long as it was at least a 1/4 tank; below that, the staff had company fuel cards for a nearby gas station (Chevron, in the case I was familiar with) and they would take the cars over to the gas station for refueling. I think Hertz's standards are a little stricter, as most of my HLE rentals do come with a full tank, while it seems uncommon to get an Enterprise rental with a full tank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.