Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

First President’s Circle experience - nightmare and on "Do Not Rent" list??

First President’s Circle experience - nightmare and on "Do Not Rent" list??

Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Question First President’s Circle experience - nightmare and on "Do Not Rent" list??

This is in regards to a trip booked on the Capital One Travel website - Hertz 5 day rental for an SUV from ATL airport on Sunday evening 7:30pm, Dec 31, 2023.. I have Presidents Circle status via my Capital One Venture X card. I newly created a Gold Plus Rewards account and was able to upgrade my account to Presidents Circle.

I checked into the Hertz Gold Plus desk, the agent checked my Drivers License ID and credit card, then told me to select a car from the Presidents Circle lane. I was traveling with my family so also rented two car seats. After loading all of our suitcases and installing the car seats, we proceeded to exit the parking garage.

At the exit gate, the agent there re-checked my ID and credit card then, after 20 mins, told me there was an issue with my reservation and I had to go back to the reservation desk. This meant backing up and having to drive into the parking garage.

Once I got to the Hertz Gold Plus Desk, the agent told me I could not rent a car because I am on a “Do Not Rent” list. I found this shocking, especially as I was not told there was any issue at the desk prior to getting into the car or checking my ID. Furthermore, I had just rented a car with Avis in SFO and dropped it off the same day, Sunday morning Dec 31. I escalated to the Manager on duty and she did not offer any alternatives, rather to phone the “Do Not Rent” number. The issue is that the hotline was not open Sunday evening, hence there would be no way for me to rent a car with Hertz that evening! I was even told the Do Not Runt list was not just Hertz specific, rather I would also be on the list on other companies.

I then had to unload all of our luggages and kids from the car seats and had to find an alternative. I then proceeded to other rental car desks and found a solution with SIXT. They offered me an SUV and I had no issues renting the car from them. We finally exited the car rental parking garage, almost 3 hours later, and headed to our destination - no issues on any Do Not Rent list.

Questions:
1. Why was I put on this Do Not Rent list?
2. Why was I not informed about this Do Not Rent list when checking in?
3. How do I get removed from this Do Not Rent list?
4. What will Hertz do to compensate for this disappointing Presidents Circle customer experience?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse

Questions:
1. Why was I put on this Do Not Rent list?
2. Why was I not informed about this Do Not Rent list when checking in?
3. How do I get removed from this Do Not Rent list?
4. What will Hertz do to compensate for this disappointing Presidents Circle customer experience?

Thanks in advance
1. Only Hertz can answer that question.
2. Who knows?
3. That depends on why you were put on the list.
4. That might depend on whether Hertz determines that you were improperly put on its do-not-rent list.

Have you had any accidents or moving violations in the past few years? Have you ever done a chargeback with a credit-card issuer for a charge from Hertz or one of its affiliates? Have you ever had a dispute or argument with a Hertz employee in connection with a Hertz rental? Have you ever used a Hertz CDP discount code which you were not entitled to use?

Good luck!
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hertz has been known recently for bizarre and dysfunctional actions ranging from fairly benign like not closing contracts for days after return to annoying like charging rentals to completely unrelated account to insane like reporting cars as stolen and sending police to arrest renters.
Do you have any history with hertz or is your dnr completely random?
masmadrid, strickerj, m907 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

Have you had any accidents or moving violations in the past few years? None

Have you ever done a chargeback with a credit-card issuer for a charge from Hertz or one of its affiliates? Did a charge back with Thrifty in Feb 2021 as I was given a car that was faulty (dead battery) and had to swap my car in the middle of a 4 day family emergency trip that took almost a day (had to head back to the airport after a long drive) - I paid the charge in the end and they even gave me a credit which was $50 which I never used. Thrifty was definitely in the wrong here.

Have you ever had a dispute or argument with a Hertz employee in connection with a Hertz rental? No

Have you ever used a Hertz CDP discount code which you were not entitled to use? No

--

So it might be due to the Thrifty rental - but even if it was, I should have been notified about this in advance - there was no notification at all. And anyway, was paid hence still doesn't make sense.

I've only rented a car from Hertz directly twice, last time was in 2010. I've never had any issues with any other companies and/or any moving violations of any sort in any country.

Also doesn't add up to what the Hertz manager told me which was the DNR list is nation wide rather than Hertz specific. Otherwise, why would I have been able to rent from other companies!
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

I've only rented a car from Hertz directly twice, last time was in 2010. I've never had any issues with any other companies and/or any moving violations of any sort in any country.

Also doesn't add up to what the Hertz manager told me which was the DNR list is nation wide rather than Hertz specific. Otherwise, why would I have been able to rent from other companies!
Now that you have seen how they treat some of their “best customers” (not really, in your case), and given that seem to not depend on Hertz for your rental needs, if I were you I would make a single attempt to get customer service to explain why you are on the DNR list and how you can get removed. And in the meantime I would place Hertz companies on my personal “do not do business with and discourage others whenever possible” list. They are an incredibly poorly run business anyway.
m907 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Now that you have seen how they treat some of their “best customers” (not really, in your case), and given that seem to not depend on Hertz for your rental needs, if I were you I would make a single attempt to get customer service to explain why you are on the DNR list and how you can get removed. And in the meantime I would place Hertz companies on my personal “do not do business with and discourage others whenever possible” list. They are an incredibly poorly run business anyway.
Yeah agree...shame though as I have Presidents Circle and like the guaranteed upgrade benefit but yeah this whole situation puts me off completely
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
You likely have an outstanding balance (returned a car late and never paid, have outstanding unpaid toll charges), did a charge back, drove an excess number of miles, e.g., >3,500. It's usually something like that. Call em up and ask.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
You likely have an outstanding balance
Last year they didn’t charge me for a rental. Several weeks later I received a paper bill in the (snail) mail, with a link to an obscure website to pay. That was actually my first clue that I hadn’t been charged (there was no issue with my credit card; they just never processed the charge). Presumably if I hadn’t received the paper bill or for some other reason not paid in a timely fashion they would have put me on the DNR list or sent me to collection or something.

Like I said in an earlier post, they are an incredibly poorly run business.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is no 'national do not rent' list. Avis does not talk to Hertz about their rentals, customers etc. The manager is making crap up and clearly has no clue.

Sounds like another case of Hertz garbage IT and even worse customer service, like when they were sending cops to arrest valid renters saying the car was stolen.
wrp96, strickerj and m907 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Maybe some intern made a mistake in an Excel table because your name and state matches another customer they intended to block?

An official reason is needed from Hertz to understand what happened here
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:54 am
Suspended

As it's no longer Sunday was the 'no rent' number ever called?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:24 am

Hi Mitch, I'm a journalist and am curious about this "you're banned if you do a chargeback" notion. Could you please drop me a note -- lieber @ nytimes dot com? Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

So I'm on holiday which is why I have not piroritized the calls to Hertz as I needed to get on with my trip.

Update:
- The "Do Not Rent" hotline is indeed a Hertz line, not national agency - that Hertz manager at ATL was completely wrong
- The Hertz DNR hotline +1 405 384 8342 confirmed today that I was placed on there due to the Chargeback I did with Thrifty in April 2022 - issue on their side with a faulty rental which I was contesting the charge amount as I should have been given a discount, instead resulted in a $50 credit which expired and was never used) and subsequently paid the full amount via my credit card
- Without even challenging the DNR agent, she said that she could see that Thrifty payment was indeed made but for whatever reason on another system I was still flagged as DNR which she swiftly removed me.

Still doesn't answer:
- Why Hertz places customers immediately on a DNR list due to a charge back - and not even properly removed after paying the full amount
- Why I was not notified via email and/or postal mail that I was placed on the DNR list
- Why I could still make a reservation, have my account upgraded to Presidents Circle, and even be able to checkin for my reservations - only to be halted at the last min at the exit gate

I was told to email [email protected] which I did Jan 1. I am still waiting for a response and followed up today.

Will keep everyone posted. ron-val-ron Happy to feed into your story but prefer to stay anonymous

Last edited by MitzEclipse; Jan 4, 2024 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
There is no 'national do not rent' list. Avis does not talk to Hertz about their rentals, customers etc. The manager is making crap up and clearly has no clue.
The word “national” doesn’t appear in the OP. I don’t know what the Hertz staff said exactly, but according to the OP:

I was even told the Do Not Runt list was not just Hertz specific, rather I would also be on the list on other companies.
I suspect what the manager meant (and perhaps said) that the OP is also banned by other companies (brands) owned by Hertz Global Holdings: Dollar, Thrifty, Firefly

Many people don’t know that the major rental car brands are part of three larger entities:

- Avis, Budget

- National, Alamo, Enterprise

- Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Firefly

You have a problem with one and get banned, you probably get banned by all belonging to that group. But as you said, not beyond that group, and the OP confirms that: they rented shortly before the failed Hertz rental with Avis, and the problem was due to a Thrity rental:

Glad the OP got it sorted out; it’s always good to have options, i.e., not be limited in rental choices. But I wouldn’t make Hertz my preferred rental company. Too many problems keep coming up in these threads.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
So I'm on holiday which is why I have not piroritized the calls to Hertz as I needed to get on with my trip.

Update:
- The "Do Not Rent" hotline is indeed a Hertz line, not national agency - that Hertz manager at ATL was completely wrong
- The Hertz DNR hotline +1 405 384 8342 confirmed today that I was placed on there due to the Chargeback I did with Thrifty in April 2022 - issue on their side with a faulty rental which I was contesting the charge amount as I should have been given a discount, instead resulted in a $50 credit which expired and was never used) and subsequently paid the full amount via my credit card
- Without even challenging the DNR agent, she said that she could see that Thrifty payment was indeed made but for whatever reason on another system I was still flagged as DNR which she swiftly removed me.

Still doesn't answer:
- Why Hertz places customers immediately on a DNR list due to a charge back - and not even properly removed after paying the full amount
- Why I was not notified via email and/or postal mail that I was placed on the DNR list
- Why I could still make a reservation, have my account upgraded to Presidents Circle, and even be able to checkin for my reservations - only to be halted at the last min at the exit gate

I was told to email [email protected] which I did Jan 1. I am still waiting for a response and followed up today.

Will keep everyone posted. ron-val-ron Happy to feed into your story but prefer to stay anonymous
Figured it was a non-payment issue or chargeback. Glad you got it straightened out. Hertz isn't in the business to give away car rentals for free... and if that is what ends up happening seems to me they are smart to have a list of people who haven't paid their bills. As to their IT - it's obv a mess and they didn't remove OP after he ultimately paid the bill. As to why they don't reach out - they probably don't care - these are customers they no longer want after all.

As to others who avoid Hertz... ridiculous imo. I've been using Hertz for 30 years and have had very nice experiences overall. Clearly no company is perfect and I've had my fair share of very frustrating experiences... but nothing specific to Hertz overall but rather location specific usually due to untrained employees. Has happened across the car rental world both domestic and abroad. Obv people can vote with their wallets... but strikes me as those who say they'll never stay at Marriott again or Hilton, etc. The issues aren't systemic (at any of these companies) but rather location specific. I surely would never rent or stay at a location or property where I've had significant issues and they weren't fixed. But to write off the largest car rental company in the world due to "issues within a blog" is going to quickly have one end up never renting or sleeping anywhere. Blogs pull in the complainers... those with excellent experiences don't search us out and post happy stays (as frequently as those who are livid do).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.