Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

My preferred flight arrives several hours before my desired Hertz pickup time

Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

The Hertz online reservation process normally requests my incoming flight information. I realize this data is helpful if my flight is delayed, and Hertz can then monitor my arrival, and delay my car pickup time accordingly.

But suppose my optimum flight (for price, airline, and schedule) arrives several hours before my desired Hertz pickup time. Suppose I need my car at 12 noon, and I want to return the car at 12 noon the next day. I only want to pay for a 1-day rental, and I don't want to pickup the car immediately after flight arrival.

For example, my American Airlines flight arrives at STL at 9 AM, and I prefer to sit in the AA Admirals Club for a few hours within 9-noon, before picking up my Hertz car.

If I enter the 9 AM flight arrival in my Hertz reservation, will Hertz monitor the flight and cancel my Hertz reservation an hour after the actual flight arrival, about 10 AM, while I'm sitting in the Admirals Club?

I see that the Hertz reservation options include "I don't have my arrival information at this time". Would this "don't have" selection be the recommended input for this situation, or can anyone report actual results of entering the scheduled flight arrival time for this situation?

Also, I see another possible option: "I am not arriving by Airplane or Train". As a strict interpretation for STL, I would be arriving by Hertz shuttle bus about 3 hours after my flight arrival.

Thank you very much.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by paul_from_losangeles; Jul 10, 2023 at 3:29 pm Reason: including another option
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
I don't think you should worry about your flight arriving early and Hertz canceling your reservation, etc.

You will be fine hanging out in the lounge for three hours and then pick up your car at the reserved time.

You will be fine.
Auto Enthusiast and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
If concerned, just find a random flight that does arrive around that time frame and put that in - or just leave the "not arriving by plane" box checked. Unless you are in a small market arriving at the end of the day (meaning they have to sit around until you arrive, in theory), nobody is looking at that. I'm sure at STL airport you'll be okay.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just select 'I am not arriving by flight' and don't worry about it. You do not need to specify what flight you are arriving on. It just helps the location to know what flight you plan to come in on. Don't overthink it
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:04 am

I agree with everybody else. Providing your arrival information is, if at all, useful in small locations where they might stay open for a little while if your flight is delayed at the end of the day.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Yllanes
I agree with everybody else. Providing your arrival information is, if at all, useful in small locations where they might stay open for a little while if your flight is delayed at the end of the day.
I dont recall what airport it was, but a few years ago a reservation didnt show Gold Canopy service until I added my flight info. I think I got a notification (or maybe the website displayed it) that alerted me to that.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:40 am

Interesting, do you recall whether you had selected "I'm not arriving by flight/train" or "I don't have my arrival information at this time"? I rent very often from a local airport and always pick the former option with no problems.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Interesting, do you recall whether you had selected "I'm not arriving by flight/train" or "I don't have my arrival information at this time"? I rent very often from a local airport and always pick the former option with no problems.
I dont, but pretty sure it was an Autoslash/Priceline booking and I just didnt enter the flight info.
Yllanes likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.