Other Hertz victims who read this forum?

Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Other Hertz victims who read this forum?

Hey all. Reader for many many years, I appreciate how much you guys have taught me (and the money you saved me.)

I am just curious if any other forum members are a part of/have been affected by the Hertz false arrest debacle. I can't post too many details as my cases are still in the works, but I was an extraordinarily loyal and highest tier gold member before Hertz's lazy stupidity ended our relationship with a bogus felony arrest.

I'm trying my best to be neutral-ish as I write this--just wondered if anyone can relate.
not2017, TGarza, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
No, but you have my sympathy. And while I typically am a huge supporter of the police, I think they have to take some blame in the situations I've read about--dragging people out of their car and cuffing them without even trying to see if the person is actually committing grand theft auto seems over-the-top. Not to mention the guy who sat in jail for seven months before they finally figured out he was a legitimate renter--...H?!
lsquare, not2017, TGarza and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
No, but you have my sympathy. And while I typically am a huge supporter of the police, I think they have to take some blame in the situations I've read about--dragging people out of their car and cuffing them without even trying to see if the person is actually committing grand theft auto seems over-the-top. Not to mention the guy who sat in jail for seven months before they finally figured out he was a legitimate renter--...H?!
Thank you. Hopefully, Hertz will do the right thing for all involved, eventually. I was just particularly curious about forum members here because I havent seen any data on if Hertz arrests Gold Members less or more frequently.

Re: the police playing a part, I think a lot of that is wider in scope than just the Hertz thing; and (as a diehard supporter of the blue line) just speaks to the realities (good & bad) of policing in America right now. Of course youre right though about stand-out ridiculousness like the people whove sat locked up for months.

Apologies if this has been discussed at length previously here; Im not intentionally trolling
DJ_Iceman, strickerj and AlEtRONt like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by imcode4
Thank you. Hopefully, Hertz will do the right thing for all involved, eventually. I was just particularly curious about forum members here because I havent seen any data on if Hertz arrests Gold Members less or more frequently.

Re: the police playing a part, I think a lot of that is wider in scope than just the Hertz thing; and (as a diehard supporter of the blue line) just speaks to the realities (good & bad) of policing in America right now. Of course youre right though about stand-out ridiculousness like the people whove sat locked up for months.

Apologies if this has been discussed at length previously here; Im not intentionally trolling
Lawsuit filed against Hertz for wrongful charges of car theft
PotomacApproach and imcode4 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
I am so sorry that this has happened to you. Keep in mind that even after all charges are dropped, you'll still get asked about it at various ports of entry for the rest of your life. I'm telling you that so you can understand how hard you must press them when it comes time for litigation.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy
There's a presumption b/c Hz files a sworn statement to the police as part of the process. People are arrested all the time, ahead of a trial - the due process. Its not a perfect system of course. The problem is that nobody (police/courts/Hz) seems to be learning that their reports are BS - and Hz doesn't seem to be suffering consequences as a result. I do think some state AGs going after them for filing false reports and entering a consent decree would be the way to go.
This is spot on. I have seen many people talking about how renters are probably fully guilty of theft, because in order to be arrested, a judge must validate a warrant.

What I dont see mentioned in the various discussions is the acknowledgment that in many localities, such as mine, a vehicle can tenuously be reported stolen and the presumption of guiltand all consequences subsequentfalls upon whoever happens to be behind the wheel when police make contact. In a lot of cases, its simple as Hertz saying our car is stolen to local law enforcement. No warrant application, no investigation; just one more entry in the database and if it pops, youre screwed. I dont know how we fix thatcorporately or legislatively. 🤷‍♂️

Hertz not allowing bottom tier location employees to make those reports would be a start, I think.

There are a lot of great replies in here so far, thank you all.
not2017, TGarza, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And what happens if I, an individual, make a sworn statement that causes you to get arrested and jailed, and it turns out I lied or made a mistake? Presumably I get in legal trouble (criminal and maybe civil), and I should. I assume police only accept a sworn statement from an individual on behalf of Hertz. That individual employee should personally face the legal consequences.
Agreed 1000%.

Im not a lawyer but its my understanding that Hertz has been able to weasel out of a lot of these cases by discharging them in bankruptcy court. I believe a judge has now called ........ on that and ruled that these cases can be filed in state courts where victims can have juries etc.

What I find laughable about Hertz defending themselves is they pretend like theyre not recovering from disastrous, desperate, pathetic bankruptcy. We already know theyre bunch of incompetent crooks who arent capable of running their own business.
notquiteaff, not2017 and TGarza like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
A number of posts that didn't address the OP's question of "Are there ant other FT members who have been a victim of the false stolen vehicle reports?" have been moved to the thread that contains the general discussion of the issue: Lawsuit filed against Hertz for wrongful charges of car theft

FlyinHawaiian, Acting Moderator
Hertz Gold Plus Forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.