What could a random $37.80 charge be?

Old Jun 22, 22, 10:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 60
What could a random $37.80 charge be?

I looked at my bank account this morning and noticed Hertz had taken $37.80 from my bank account, a week and a half after handing back my rental car. No emails or anything from them to explain this charge.

It does not make any sense. I returned the car on time with a full tank of fuel. Would assume if they found any damage the charge would be more than that. Contacted support on Twitter but all they could do was create a ticket on their end to check.

Really not happy with Hertz. They shouldn't be allowed to take money without providing a reason.

Also not happy they gave me a bog standard Toyoto Corolla at the start of my rental instead of a Toyota Prius Hybrid that I booked. I wonder how much extra in fuel that cost me over my trip. I didn't complain about that one as I didn't notice until a week into my trip that I wasn't actually driving a hybrid (never driven one before).
Xenor is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 12:23 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,026
My guess...

Originally Posted by Xenor View Post
I looked at my bank account this morning and noticed Hertz had taken $37.80 from my bank account, a week and a half after handing back my rental car. No emails or anything from them to explain this charge.

It does not make any sense. I returned the car on time with a full tank of fuel. ).
Probably a refueling charge, my guess. If that's what it was in fact for and you disagree...

To address a fuel assessment upon return: [email protected]?subject=Fuel Receipt Attached for RA XXXXXXXXX&body=Please attach your fuel receipt images and send.
randix is online now  
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:32 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by randix View Post
Probably a refueling charge, my guess. If that's what it was in fact for and you disagree...

To address a fuel assessment upon return: [email protected]?subject=Fuel Receipt Attached for RA XXXXXXXXX&body=Please attach your fuel receipt images and send.
Let's hope not as that would be fraud. I literally filled up at the petrol station around the corner from the drop off. Luckily I still have my receipt. If it turns out to be that I'd be tempted to speak with my bank before disputing it with Hertz.

Should have expected some kind of issue at drop off when they downgraded my car at pickup.
Xenor is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 6:09 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 42,187
Assuming that you have a gold plus account, if you log in and check the receipt, if there is something extra charged, it should be on the receipt
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 6:27 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 98,473
Could it be expressway tolls or parking tickets? An hourly charge for a slightly late return?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:10 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 642
Originally Posted by Xenor View Post
Let's hope not as that would be fraud. I literally filled up at the petrol station around the corner from the drop off. Luckily I still have my receipt. If it turns out to be that I'd be tempted to speak with my bank before disputing it with Hertz.

Should have expected some kind of issue at drop off when they downgraded my car at pickup.
Wouldn't necessarily be fraud...
1. Potentially you didn't completely fill it up. Just because the pump stops, doesn't mean it's full.
2. Potentially the returning agent miss typed the fuel gauge in the return item
3. Potentially the airport used the vehicle to transport customers to and from Hertz location and airport dropoff and didn't top off. Next customer complained that tank wasn't full and they back-charged you, the previous renter.

This is why I always take a photo of the gas gauge and mileage upon return with a recognizable feature of the return area. Then there is easy confirmation the tank was full at return. Just because you got gas at the petrol station next to the return location does not mean that you filled it up, nor is it proof that you filled it up (unless e.g. you put in 24 gallons and the tank holds 24 gallons).

Charges could be a bunch of things though...
1. Fuel charge
2. EZ Pass Rental Fee that they missed
3. Late Return (maybe you returned at your "scheduled" time, but picked the car up an hour early)
4. One-way drop fee
5. Mileage fee - over allocated miles
6. Cleaning fee
7. Could be another rental you did
8. Another vehicle was inadvertently rented under your name/account

Best of luck with figuring out what it was. Please let us know once you do.

Last edited by 91StealthES; Jun 23, 22 at 6:38 am Reason: added #7 and #8
91StealthES is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:43 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by 91StealthES View Post
Wouldn't necessarily be fraud...
1. Potentially you didn't completely fill it up. Just because the pump stops, doesn't mean it's full.
2. Potentially the returning agent miss typed the fuel gauge in the return item
3. Potentially the airport used the vehicle to transport customers to and from Hertz location and airport dropoff and didn't top off. Next customer complained that tank wasn't full and they back-charged you, the previous renter.

This is why I always take a photo of the gas gauge and mileage upon return with a recognizable feature of the return area. Then there is easy confirmation the tank was full at return. Just because you got gas at the petrol station next to the return location does not mean that you filled it up, nor is it proof that you filled it up (unless e.g. you put in 24 gallons and the tank holds 24 gallons).

Charges could be a bunch of things though...
1. Fuel charge
2. EZ Pass Rental Fee that they missed
3. Late Return (maybe you returned at your "scheduled" time, but picked the car up an hour early)
4. One-way drop fee
5. Mileage fee - over allocated miles
6. Cleaning fee
7. Could be another rental you did
8. Another vehicle was inadvertently rented under your name/account

Best of luck with figuring out what it was. Please let us know once you do.
Thanks. If not fraud then definitely a scam. When I dropped the car off the person put the keys in and looked at the mileage and fuel gauge.

I mean, technically the car was not full, the only way to completely fill the tank would be to top it up with a jerry can after driving to the Hertz drop off but it is reasonable to assume that filling it up at a petrol station around the corner until the pump stops would be sufficient. That's what they told me to do at pick up anyway.

Looking at the others potential items in your list a cleaning fee could be likely. I didn't see anything that said I need to have the car cleaned before returning it, and it was dirty as I had done a big road trip.

I don't have a gold account and have received no receipt.

I guess we'll wait and see. I will update the thread. If I hear nothing by Monday I'll have a chat with my bank as a company can't just charge my card a random amount and not tell me why.
Xenor is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:13 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 6,675
If it's the gas thing, it's becoming increasingly more common. Just had it happen to me with Budget, and there's also a thread about it re Avis. It is infuriating. We fill up within a mile or two, give a few more squirts after it pops out, and still we got dinged. I didn't pay it. I tried contacting Budget, could not, so did a chargeback on my Amex. Now I'm told I'm probably on the "do no rent" list. Since I have always had problems with Budget, I don't care, but we can't just alienate every company - we'll have no where to turn.

I just wish there was a solution.
strickerj and Uriah Heep like this.
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:18 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 642
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
If it's the gas thing, it's becoming increasingly more common. Just had it happen to me with Budget, and there's also a thread about it re Avis. It is infuriating. We fill up within a mile or two, give a few more squirts after it pops out, and still we got dinged. I didn't pay it. I tried contacting Budget, could not, so did a chargeback on my Amex. Now I'm told I'm probably on the "do no rent" list. Since I have always had problems with Budget, I don't care, but we can't just alienate every company - we'll have no where to turn.

I just wish there was a solution.
The solution is to take a photo in the return lane showing both the vehicle mileage and fuel gauge. The photo has a time stamp. As mentioned above, I also try to get something in the photo proving I am in the return lane at the location.

If you are charged a fuel refill, you can simply talk with the vendor and provide the photo for evidence.
91StealthES is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:23 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 6,675
Originally Posted by 91StealthES View Post
The solution is to take a photo in the return lane showing both the vehicle mileage and fuel gauge. The photo has a time stamp. As mentioned above, I also try to get something in the photo proving I am in the return lane at the location.

If you are charged a fuel refill, you can simply talk with the vendor and provide the photo for evidence.
No, we are talking about being charged TWO/THREE TENTHS of a gallon or so, PLUS a $20 or so refueling fee. Some companies are using some sort of "sensor" that I don't understand which supposedly measures down to fractions. If it says there's a fraction of a gallon still to go before their definition of "full", you get charged.
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:10 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: clue is in the nym
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold,
Posts: 526
As this is the US it's probably a 'tip' for the handling agent
southlondonphil is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:13 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 642
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
No, we are talking about being charged TWO/THREE TENTHS of a gallon or so, PLUS a $20 or so refueling fee. Some companies are using some sort of "sensor" that I don't understand which supposedly measures down to fractions. If it says there's a fraction of a gallon still to go before their definition of "full", you get charged.
Never heard of that, but not disputing you either. That is unscrupulous if it is happening. But again, your fuel receipt and a photo showing full tank will allow you to dispute these charges easily.

I've never been charged for fuel (US or Europe) unless I didn't return the vehicle full, which I have done. And my PC status has been earned via actual rentals over the past ~10-years (with the exception of COVID Shutdown); so lots of rental returns. Below are some photographic proof of how I returned some of my recent rentals/loaners.


Return at local branch.

Return at Airport

And for good measure, a loaner return to my local Merc dealer where I do the same thing.
Xenor likes this.
91StealthES is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:13 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 60
In future I will take such a photo rather than just keeping the receipt from the gas station, but at the end of the day do I really want to be doing business with a company that attempts to rob me? Absolutely not. I shouldn't have to go out of my way to prove I filled up the tank if the business is honest. I mean they could just as easily say I returned the car with no wheels because I can't prove I didn't.

This is a company that has full access to my bank account. The least I would expect is an email to say why they have withdrawn money a week and a half after I dropped off the car.
strickerj likes this.
Xenor is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 6,675
Originally Posted by 91StealthES View Post
Never heard of that, but not disputing you either. That is unscrupulous if it is happening. But again, your fuel receipt and a photo showing full tank will allow you to dispute these charges easily.

I've never been charged for fuel (US or Europe) unless I didn't return the vehicle full, which I have done. And my PC status has been earned via actual rentals over the past ~10-years (with the exception of COVID Shutdown); so lots of rental returns. Below are some photographic proof of how I returned some of my recent rentals/loaners.


Return at local branch.

Return at Airport

And for good measure, a loaner return to my local Merc dealer where I do the same thing.
I had no problem "disputing" it at all - told Amex what happened, they took it off. They did not even have to see the receipt (which happened to be on a different credit card from the rental agreement). However, and this is the big however, I've heard (no personal experience) but doing ONE chargeback can get you on the company's "do not rent" list.
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:09 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SNA
Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Posts: 430
Hertz is notorious for adding unauthorized charges. My recent rental in AZ there was some $40 charge. At return they said it was for satellite radio that I did not ask for. They refunded the charge and claimed "the system" added it. Also, the rental agreement showed full tank of gas when it was only 3/4. Fortunately I had pictures so did not overpay. These days I am watching the agreement very closely, and taking pictures of everything.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
PilgrimsProgress is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread