Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Experience with taking a rented car into Canada

Experience with taking a rented car into Canada

Old Jun 2, 22, 4:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero View Post
Hell, I've driven a rental car into Mexico and there wasn't a problem. You're good.
You're playing with fire by driving into Mexico. You must purchase Mexican insurance. Mexico Insurance | Hertz
Not all Hertz vehicles are allowed to be driven into Mexico and only those paying with credit cards are allowed to do so.
Rental Terms (hertz.com)
Auto Enthusiast and kxc262 like this.
Old Jun 2, 22, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by CalItalian View Post
You're playing with fire by driving into Mexico. You must purchase Mexican insurance. Mexico Insurance | Hertz
Not all Hertz vehicles are allowed to be driven into Mexico and only those paying with credit cards are allowed to do so.
Rental Terms (hertz.com)
#1. It wasn't with Hertz.
#2. I always use a credit when renting with Hertz for the Collision coverage, rending that point moot.

Thanks for the info tho.
Old Jun 3, 22, 4:24 am

#1. It wasn't with Hertz.
#2. I always use a credit when renting with Hertz for the Collision coverage, rending that point moot.

Thanks for the info tho.
Collision coverage doesn't cut it so no it doesn't render the point moot. You must have Mexican insurance. Doesn't matter who you rented from. Many car rental firms don't allow you to take a vehicle into Mexico. Clearly you are uninformed.
Old Jun 3, 22, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Collision coverage doesn't cut it so no it doesn't render the point moot. You must have Mexican insurance. Doesn't matter who you rented from. Many car rental firms don't allow you to take a vehicle into Mexico. Clearly you are uninformed.
Reread my original post. Nowhere did it state that I never purchased Mexican Car Insurance. All it says is that I've driven rental cars to Mexico with no problem. That's all. You filled it in with your own thoughts and context. I am not the one uninformed sir, you just need to read better.
Old Jun 3, 22, 11:28 am

Reread my original post. Nowhere did it state that I never purchased Mexican Car Insurance. All it says is that I've driven rental cars to Mexico with no problem. That's all. You filled it in with your own thoughts and context. I am not the one uninformed sir, you just need to read better.
Regardless what company you used, or whether you had insurance or not, lets stay on topic.

And regardless whatever this user eichiflero said before that might confuse you, for all of you interested in taking a hertz car rented in the US to Canada or Mexico, please note that Hertz does not allow their vehicles to enter Mexico in most situations. Only a few locations on the border can give you a car to drive to Mexico, which needs special explicit permission from Hertz and you have to purchase mandatory insurance from Hertz. For vehicles taking to Canada, you can do so without notifying Hertz. All coverage from hertz are still valid while the car is in Canada.
Old Jun 4, 22, 12:33 pm

Wrong. You gave BAD advice based on your incomplete postings. I cleared up what you posted each time. Next time, be more clear or don't post at all.

Last edited by CalItalian; Jun 4, 22 at 12:39 pm
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:30 pm

Wrong. You gave BAD advice based on your incomplete postings. I cleared up what you posted each time. Next time, be more clear or don't post at all.
Old Jun 6, 22, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Please, let's keep on topic.
Thanks!

Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 10, 22, 10:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
No issues taking vehicle from US to Canada/vv. Don't really need to tell Hertz anything. The times I did was met with no response from Hertz rep. No need to tell CBP/CBSA anything either unless they ask about the vehicle. As a NEXUS trusted traveler, both agencies know my home state. The only time I've been ask if the vehicle plate is from a state not matching my home state.

Gas in US is cheaper than Canada so aim to fill up on the US side of the border.

However you definitely should get a print out of the rental agreement instead of the email copy regardless if you are pulled over by law enforcement even if not crossing international borders.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Search this Thread