Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
At DTW this past weekend, I watched 3 carrier-loads of Teslas beeping unloaded into a parking lot that already had at least 50 Teslas in it -- so I'd guess that DTW will be coming online soon for Tesla rentals.

Last edited by noah; Jul 19, 2022 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:50 pm

so has anyone rented one and received the J1772 adapter? The Points Guy did a rental in OKC back in March and did not receive one. That would be a big problem I'd think, because superchargers aren't everywhere . Odd that he didn't mention any followup with Hertz as to what happened with it.
notquiteaff and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by phelme
so has anyone rented one and received the J1772 adapter? The Points Guy did a rental in OKC back in March and did not receive one. That would be a big problem I'd think, because superchargers aren't everywhere . Odd that he didn't mention any followup with Hertz as to what happened with it.
I did not receive a J1772 during my rental at LAX in March. Upon return, I asked an employee and was told they were available upon request. This was also at a time when Teslas had only recently begun rolling out at Hertz and the staff seemed to still be adjusting to them.

I actually just did another rental recently out of CVG (Model Y) and the adapter was in the frunk, although I had not requested it. So, I would say it likely varies by location.

From what I've seen, the locations that rent Teslas all seem to be in markets that are fairly heavily saturated with Superchargers. CVG would be an exception to that - there aren't very many in that part of Ohio. Perhaps that's why the CVG location included the adapter? Hard to say for sure...
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pmadden
I did not receive a J1772 during my rental at LAX in March. Upon return, I asked an employee and was told they were available upon request. This was also at a time when Teslas had only recently begun rolling out at Hertz and the staff seemed to still be adjusting to them.

I actually just did another rental recently out of CVG (Model Y) and the adapter was in the frunk, although I had not requested it. So, I would say it likely varies by location.

From what I've seen, the locations that rent Teslas all seem to be in markets that are fairly heavily saturated with Superchargers. CVG would be an exception to that - there aren't very many in that part of Ohio. Perhaps that's why the CVG location included the adapter? Hard to say for sure...
I use my own J1772 all the time at certain free L2 chargers. Superchargers are great for road trips, but even then I often book hotels with cheap/free L2 chargers.

I have a trip with a Tesla rental in the LAX area coming up. I picked a hotel that has a L2 chargers. So I guess I will have to make sure they actually give me a J1772 adapter or see if I have space in my carry-on for my own adapter.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle

I have a Tesla rented right now from LAX. The adapter is in the trunk in a kit underneath the floorboard (floorboard is probably not the right term, but basically just lift up the floor of the trunk)
notquiteaff and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I have a Tesla rented right now from LAX. The adapter is in the trunk in a kit underneath the floorboard (floorboard is probably not the right term, but basically just lift up the floor of the trunk)
I am curious - what else (if anything) is in that kit? I assume they are not providing the “Tesla Mobile Connector” (EVSE) that until a few months ago came with every Tesla for charging from power outlets?

Also, how many key cards did they give you? No fob, I assume?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I am curious - what else (if anything) is in that kit? I assume they are not providing the “Tesla Mobile Connector” (EVSE) that until a few months ago came with every Tesla for charging from power outlets?

Also, how many key cards did they give you? No fob, I assume?
No Fob, one keycard. I believe the kit does have the device that would allow you to plug directly into the outlet. It's in a Tesla bag and the label said it had 3 things in it, its not like Hertz bought a bunch of J1772 adapters and just tossed one in the trunk.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooseman13
No Fob, one keycard. I believe the kit does have the device that would allow you to plug directly into the outlet. It's in a Tesla bag and the label said it had 3 things in it, its not like Hertz bought a bunch of J1772 adapters and just tossed one in the trunk.
The J1772 adapters still come with new vehicles. The “charger” is no longer included.

If I end up renting Teslas more often, I might have to buy a spare key to program myself as a backup or for my copilot.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
At IAH next week, a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range is cheaper than any other category. Cheaper even than Manager's Special!
Auto Enthusiast, SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Herb687
At IAH next week, a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range is cheaper than any other category. Cheaper even than Manager's Special!
I have found this is often the case for longer rentals, particularly if you use the CDP for the AMEX Platinum card which, for some reason, seems to reduce the price on Tesla rentals drastically.

Here is one I found in LA (not LAX, but an HLE station) where it's around $150 cheaper to rent a Tesla for a month than a standard sedan.
SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I have found this is often the case for longer rentals, particularly if you use the CDP for the AMEX Platinum card which, for some reason, seems to reduce the price on Tesla rentals drastically.

Here is one I found in LA (not LAX, but an HLE station) where it's around $150 cheaper to rent a Tesla for a month than a standard sedan.
But is the Tesla cheaper than Managers Special?
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:10 am

Rented from IAH.

Saw at least 10 Model 3's on the lot. My experience was also that the 3 RWD was cheaper than the standard sedan, especially considering gas prices in the Houston area. If you go further south though, gas is <$3.50 a gallon and supercharging is $0.34/kwh.

Was given a dented blue Model 3 RWD. Felt nice not having to return it at full charge.

Honestly though, Hertz is doing a major disservice to the experience by giving a key card in that stupid chunky ... thick plastic case. You can't remotely unlock or lock the vehicle, and the setting to have the car lock when you walk away also doesn't work with the key card. You can also only unlock the car on the driver's side, and it requires you walking right up to the card and tapping it. I didn't think it would be such a PITA, but it became a major PITA, especially considering you can't run the AC before getting in the car. With the black interiors Hertz Teslas have combined with the panoramic sunroof, these cars become roasting hot inside in the Texas heat. The key card also liked not registering easily given the thick case, and it sometimes took a few taps to get the car to unlock or start if you took too long to get into drive. The key card itself also becomes a giant piece of plastic that's about phone-sized instead of just a key or a card you can slip into your wallet.

They need to figure a better solution than the key card. Part of the experience of using a Tesla is having some level of QoL by being able to access the car without using a key, or doing things like turning it on to precondition or set the AC/heat. Even a Malibu rental has remote-start functionality, and you can lock or unlock it from far away or just by touching the car without taking the key out.

For other information, Hertz bills you on return for supercharging done, but also, I don't know if this is a recent change, but the IAH location charged me for tax for the whole rental despite having done a pre-paid rental. I tried asking 4 people including 2 on-site, and no one could explain to me how or why I was being charged for tax at return (which is after they initially tried to charge me for an extra day for picking up 1 minute before the posted pickup time). I filed a chargeback with my bank.

Thoroughly unimpressed with the Hertz experience, though the Tesla itself was great, apart from the dents.

Other less ranty notes:
  • My Model 3 had 6000+ miles already and a few dents. Don't be surprised getting into a trashed one with 30K+ miles in a few months.
  • No premium connectivity available in the Model 3 I was in
  • Louisiana Street HLE in Houston also has Teslas, including the RWD/LR Model 3 and Model Y's
  • There was a J1772 adaptor under the floorboard in the trunk, in case you can't find yours
  • Supercharging in Houston can get expensive with surge pricing (0.44/kwh iirc)
  • The RWD Model 3 has more like 170 miles of range max in Texas heat and highway speeds
  • You get a keycard in a fat hard plastic case, no app access, no fob.
  • Returned my Model 3 with ~20% SOC without any charges.
notquiteaff, SamirD and strickerj like this.

Last edited by chumbucket; Aug 8, 2022 at 1:12 am Reason: Clarity about returning with <100% SOC
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chumbucket
Rented from IAH.
  • My Model 3 had 6000+ miles already and a few dents. Don't be surprised getting into a trashed one with 30K+ miles in a few months.
I was thinking this also. During my first Tesla rental at LAX in March, the vehicle I received only had around 2,500 miles on it but was in surprisingly bad shape already (big scratch across screen, dent on rear bumper, leather on steering wheel roughed up).

Time will tell, but I don't think Tesla builds their cards with rental-use durability in mind.

Re: keycard being in a thick clear plastic case - this was the same for me. I didn't mind it much though and didn't encounter any issues with using it. If anything, the clunky plastic case was helpful in not losing the thing - if they had just handed me the keycard on it's own I'm sure I would have temporarily misplaced it during my week-long rental.
Auto Enthusiast, SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re: keycard being in a thick clear plastic case - this was the same for me. I didn't mind it much though and didn't encounter any issues with using it. If anything, the clunky plastic case was helpful in not losing the thing - if they had just handed me the keycard on it's own I'm sure I would have temporarily misplaced it during my week-long rental.
I keep my personal Tesla’s key card in my wallet, in a zippered slot with my drivers license. Rarely use it. And yes, it’s annoying to have to use the card to open/operate the car.

Tesla really need to add some sort of fleet feature to their app/servers that allows fleet managers and rental agencies to provision drivers so they can operate the vehicles without the physical card.

As a workaround for the big plastic case, I wonder if frequent renters could just buy their own key card and then provision it for the rental vehicle, or if Hertz was somehow able to disable that feature (it also raises a safety concern as the card would remain active after the end of the rental). For a road trip I would want to have more than one key anyway. Might try this with my October rental.
SamirD and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Aug 8, 2022 at 9:06 am
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Also, does anyone know if the Teslas from Hertz include the mobile EVSE (charger in common parlance) for slow-charging from 110/220v outlets?
In the rentals I have done--yes. But I think these cars were bought when it was still included with the car for free. I think it may not be there in any of the more recent fleet purchases, so check to see that it is there and confirm that it is not supposed to be there if it isn't because the companies are supposed to check upon turn-in, but you know what happens if they don't and it's not there--it's on your bill.

Tesla really need to add some sort of fleet feature to their app/servers that allows fleet managers and rental agencies to provision drivers so they can operate the vehicles without the physical card.
I think it really depends on the location. At HSV I got the same car I got 2 months ago and noticed most of my changed settings were there along with a 'Becky's phone' key under the keys, which I think a customer set up. I don't want to set up my phone as a key, but it does seem like it is possible.

But besides the key, the other two huge issues I have with this particular location is that the cars are speed limited to 90mph and can't be changed and that without premium connectivity you can't see traffic in the nav, which is one of the features of the car imo. Sucks having to pull out my phone to check the traffic to make sure the route is the fastest when there's a huge screen that would just show it and do it for me. Oh, also having acceleration stuck on chill mode sucks too if you own one of these cars and know how to drive it. Speaking of which, who here has rented a Model S? I'm dying to drive one.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 23, 2022 at 7:05 am Reason: consecutive posts merged

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.