Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old May 16, 2022, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Apologies I missed the previous question about where I charged. Here's my screenshot of EV charging fees from Hertz.

Here's the breakdown on my charging, hopefully this is helpful to some folks;

Rental pickup 3/23 and car was charged at 99%. I rented the long range model 3.

The first charge was in San Juan Capistrano on the evening of the 25th - I think the battery was down to about 30% after extensive driving/range the prior day and a half. I went to a supercharger down the road from my hotel and it was very busy since it was the only charger in the area! I had to wait about 10-15 minutes for a space to open up. I plugged in, and noticed it was charging slower than I expected. The display in the Tesla said it would take about 90 minutes to fully charge. I left the car for about 25 minutes to get some food, and when I came back it was around 50% charged. There were a lot of people waiting still so I unplugged and went back to the hotel.

The following morning (26th) I drove about 75 miles towards San Diego for the day. Later that afternoon, I headed back to San Juan Capistrano and stopped mid-way to charge in San Marcos because I was down to about 10%. This was the only time during the trip I was surprised the battery level dropped so quickly, although I did idle for a while throughout the day and traffic was slow. The supercharger in San Marcos was nearly empty and it charged very fast. I think it went from around 10% to 70% in maybe 20-25 minutes. I went into a nearby Panera to eat while it charged.

The 3rd charge was on the 28th. I had driven from Orange County all the way up to Glendale and back. I stopped in Tustin on the way back to San Juan Capistrano with around 10% left and charged it back to around 60%. I would have charged for longer but had dinner plans to get to.

The 4th and final charge was the following morning on the 29th, it was at around 50% but I had time to kill and wanted to have enough range for my last few days. I charged it back up to around 85%

I returned the car at LAX mid-afternoon on the 31st with around 35% charge left. At pickup I was told I didn't have to bring it back fully charged, which was nice. I was expecting Hertz to bill me for the charge to get it back to full, but they never did.

I also learned a few tricks during my rental (I had never driven a Tesla before so these were not obvious to me);
  • Charging is fastest when the battery level is below 20% and charging above 80% is very slow
  • Some very high volume superchargers will not charge your vehicle past a certain percentage to increase vehicle throughput - when I charged at the San Juan Capistrano location I got a message on screen saying it would not charge past 70% due to high demand
  • In California at least, there are peak and off-peak charging hours, based on the demand for electricity on the grid and capacity at supercharger stations. The best charging rates were often at night (past 7 or 8 PM)
  • Use the Tesla's navigation system to navigate to superchargers - the car will automatically start running a battery optimization process which takes about 10-15 minutes once you set the GPS to bring you to a supercharger. This helps boost charging speeds. If you just pull up to a supercharger without this battery optimization, it will take longer to charge
Old May 16, 2022, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Awesome - extremely helpful for those of us who donít own electric vehicles
Auto Enthusiast, SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pmadden
I think the battery was down to about 30% after extensive driving/range the prior day and a half. I went to a supercharger down the road from my hotel and it was very busy since it was the only charger in the area! I had to wait about 10-15 minutes for a space to open up. I plugged in, and noticed it was charging slower than I expected. The display in the Tesla said it would take about 90 minutes to fully charge.

I also learned a few tricks during my rental (I had never driven a Tesla before so these were not obvious to me);
  • Charging is fastest when the battery level is below 20% and charging above 80% is very slow
That’s very important. You can set the max charge in the car itself or the Tesla app (don’t think you will have app access with a rental at this time, though). I have mine generally set to 80% for daily driving. It’s not only helpful with charging speed, but also helps reduce “stress” on the battery. In generally, “full charge” is not what I want. Tonight I am going on a 1000 mile road trip and I just changed my charging limit to 95%. It gives me near full range (more than enough to get to the first SC) and also gives me some buffer for regenerative breaking and protects the battery.

At Superchargers I will generally charge to 80% unless I know I need more to reach my destination or next chargers.

The free app “A Better Route Planner” (ABRP) lets you plan road trips on your phone or tablet. It’s quite powerful (not just for Teslas).

The San Juan Capistrano charger appears to be a 150kW V2 SC, and the San Marcos SC is a newer (faster) V3 250 kW charger. Might also explain why it seemed slow(er) at the San Juan Capistrano charger.

Another tip: V2 chargers use pairing where two charging units share the 150kW if both are in use. They are labeled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, … In general, if you have a choice (lots of open spots), you will want to avoid using 1B if 1A is already in use. As it will be slower than if you picked 2B (with empty 2A). This doesn’t apply to V3 SCs; there is no pairing/sharing.
SamirD, JordanWalker and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 18, 2022 at 12:46 pm
Old May 18, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: AC 50K, National Exec, Hertz Pres. Circle, HH Gold, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Bravo, that's probably the first really useful post in a few months as it sheds light on where you can fill the tank and how much it costs.

So let me ask, why so many stops? Were you topping off the battery, parked at a destination, or making a necessary fuel stop? Also I see a lot of early morning charges. Was this overnight parking at a hotel? If any of these were pure recharge stops, how long did you have to wait?

I think you have a lot of practical data here that would be useful for those of us who are wondering about the frequency and duration of recharging rentals (which for many of us normally require only a 5 min gas stop on the way to the airport)
I had two-round trips between LA and San Diego so I wanted to keep the battery topped since one-way would eat 80% of the battery (I had the standard range Model 3). For the days in San Diego, I was time-constrained on the trip and didn't want to risk a charging stop in the middle of the day. Also the rates from 7 pm to 7 am are cheaper by a few cents/min. My hotel in San Diego was only a 2 min drive to the Supercharger which made things easy. Those $5-$8 charges were only 15-20 mins.
Auto Enthusiast, SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Where did you find that screenshot? I can't find the charging breakdown anywhere on the Hertz website in my account
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mcdonoughdr
Where did you find that screenshot? I can't find the charging breakdown anywhere on the Hertz website in my account
When logged into your account (website only, not app) go to your receipts and you should see a separate blue button for "View EV Charging Costs" - in my case, I think it took 2-3 business days after the rental ended before I saw that button appear.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: BA KL
Originally Posted by Joes
If Teslas are returned with a low battery level is there a fee for charging similar to returning a car without a full gas tank?

I am also curious how Hertz handles Teslas that are returned to a HLE that does not have a charging station?
I recently had a reservation in the Netherlands - I booked a compact elite (DDAE) electric car, but was upgraded to a Tesla. (a change from my reservations in the UK with Sixt where I've been downgraded twice recently)

It was a mixed experience overall - very pleasant pick up, and obviously the car was lovely to drive (we have a Renault Zoe at home, so this was something of a step up). I thought Hertz might give you a charge card to use, but no. Luckily I already had a Shell card from the UK which worked well in several locations.

On the downside, I returned the car 92% charged but was still levied a fee - the actual 8% was only Ä0.66 but then there was a Ä12 service fee for this. I felt this was a bit opaque especially as I'd emailed Hertz during my 8 day rental and asked specifically how full I needed to return to avoid a charge (no reply). It felt to me as if Hertz rental documentation hadn't kept pace with the fact they now have EVs.

On the plus side, I used Tesla supercharging stations twice on my trip - they started working as soon as I plugged them in and nothing has ever been billed to me (rental was over 2 months ago). I don't know if this is a designed perk or an oversight.
SamirD, strickerj and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Sheepfan
On the downside, I returned the car 92% charged but was still levied a fee - the actual 8% was only Ä0.66 but then there was a Ä12 service fee for this. I felt this was a bit opaque especially as I'd emailed Hertz during my 8 day rental and asked specifically how full I needed to return to avoid a charge (no reply). It felt to me as if Hertz rental documentation hadn't kept pace with the fact they now have EVs.
That either shows that Hertz doesnít understand charging, or itís an intentional scam. Itís likely pretty difficult to return it with 100% (youíd have to find a charger fairly close to the airport) and also not desirable for Hertz as it isnít good for the health of the battery pack.

Was the vehicle charged to 100% when you picked it up?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That either shows that Hertz doesn’t understand charging, or it’s an intentional scam. It’s likely pretty difficult to return it with 100% (you’d have to find a charger fairly close to the airport) and also not desirable for Hertz as it isn’t good for the health of the battery pack.

Was the vehicle charged to 100% when you picked it up?
Yes charged to 100% on collection. I would like to believe it's teething problems rather than a scam, but who knows. Mind you, the Netherlands has more charging locations than any other European country, so you'd think it's a place where they would have considered this issue.

With petrol vehicles I've never been charged for fuel on my return, as long as the dial was pretty close to full.

To put the cherry on the cake, I got my first ever speeding ticket on this trip (in 20+ years of driving) for doing 56 mph in a 50 zone!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Sheepfan
Yes charged to 100% on collection. I would like to believe it's teething problems rather than a scam, but who knows. Mind you, the Netherlands has more charging locations than any other European country, so you'd think it's a place where they would have considered this issue.

With petrol vehicles I've never been charged for fuel on my return, as long as the dial was pretty close to full.

To put the cherry on the cake, I got my first ever speeding ticket on this trip (in 20+ years of driving) for doing 56 mph in a 50 zone!
I'm guessing 90 kmh in an 80 zone, and 10 is where they draw the line? That's way more stringent than the U.S. or Canada for sure. (I'm told in Ontario you're generally safe up to 25 kmh over, at least on the expressways, though personally I've never risked it.)

As for the car, I'm assuming a Model 3, not an S? Here this would be considered a compact, so I'm not sure how it's an upgrade from "compact elite electric" - is there an example given for that class? (I know in Europe the categories tend to run smaller, but I'm not familiar enough with the exact models.)
SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:17 am

The example given was a VW ID3 for my rental (DDAE), and I was given a Model 3 LR AWD (PDAC category).
SamirD and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-hert...en-new-cities/

Initially, Hertz made its Model 3 and Model Y vehicles available in Atlanta, GA, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Los Angeles, CA, Miami, FL, Orlando, FL, San Francisco, CA, and Washington D.C. Now, sixteen new cities are being added to the company’s locations that have Teslas available for rent:
  • Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • Atlanta, Georgia,
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • Burbank, California
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Co. Mountains, Colorado
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Fort Lauderdale, Florida
  • Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Miami, Florida
  • Newark, New Jersey
  • New York City, New York
  • Orlando, Florida
  • Phoenix, Arizona
  • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Sacramento, California
  • San Diego, California
  • San Francisco, California
  • San Jose, California
  • Washington D.C.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:12 am

What is "Co. Mountains, Colorado"?
notquiteaff, SamirD and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m907
What is "Co. Mountains, Colorado"?

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/renta...a-car-rentals/
SamirD, strickerj and m907 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
EGE is the airport code for Vail/Eagle. Not sure why they called it "Co. Mountains".

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 16, 2022 at 12:57 pm Reason: removed quote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.