Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: AA, BA, Hertz
I'm renting out of LAX this week and found myself in a Tesla Model 3 for the first time ever (after returning a shoddy Mustang 10 minutes after driving it off the lot, but that's another story). All I can say is I am completely blown away by the car and now consider myself seriously in the market for one as my next daily driver. There's a comfortable heft about the car that's hard to describe. Incredible torque (if that's your thing) and a different kind of comfort/finesse that I've not experienced before. Free charging sweetened the overall deal I guess. I've driven almost 500 miles in seven days, and have recharged three times (probably could have got away with two in hindsight).

Yes the charging thing is a change from what I'm used to with traditional gas, but I'd regard this as something different, rather than something that's an issue. With some planning I imagine this is going to become second nature after a few months of ownership, once you'd got over the early nerves about dropping below 30% and mildly panicking about being stranded on the highway. Also granted, this was a leisure rental and I've had no grand plan all week, so my itinerary was flexible enough for me to factor in the requirement to manage the battery level. Use the car's system to find your nearest Supercharger, drive there, pull up, plug in, grab a coffee, go to the bathroom and return to the car. Bingo.

I had one charging issue where a whole bank of SuperChargers were dead for some reason at Palm Springs, so had to wait for one of the remaining ones to become available. Other than that, no issues with locating and charging up.

The Tesla makes my Audi seem antiquated. I'm reminded of the first time I used a SatNav - pretty cynical at first, but once you've got it in your hands and actually used it, the whole thing clicks. If Tesla's grand plan was for this Hertz deal to help with future sales in some way, the seven-day test drive has worked in my case.

A great partnership for both parties and driving the Tesla has probably been the highlight of my CA trip this year.

A footnote, I did experience the "phantom braking" that's been reported recently. Using the adaptive cruise control on the freeway, the car randomly executed a hard braking manoeuvre for no reason at all. Thankfully nothing was close behind me and I floored the accelerator which pulled it out of the stop. From what I read, this phenomenon has been widely reported and I guess will be fixed at some point (let's hope).
ryandc99, SamirD and joepa26 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I can see how appealing a new Tesla would be after receiving a beat up Honda Accord from Avis on my last local rental. But still no idea where I would re0charge it as we don't have a home plug.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I am booking a rental to be picked up in FRA and noticed that a Tesla Model 3 LR is an option that is actually very competitively priced with ICE vehicles.

Does anyone know how the charging at SC networks is billed? (I own a Tesla, so I know that it's just plug & charge - the charger recognizes the vehicle and the billing happens in the background). The Hertz site includes this:

Any idea what "Fair use of Network Charging Stations" means? Almost sounds like "as long as you don't drive 5000 km in two days, your electrons are free", but is that what they mean?
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Any idea what "Fair use of Network Charging Stations" means? Almost sounds like "as long as you don't drive 5000 km in two days, your electrons are free", but is that what they mean?
What happens when you click the little question mark button next to that item?
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 24, 2022 at 4:02 am Reason: removed image from quote
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: AC 50K, National Exec, Hertz Pres. Circle, HH Gold, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Supercharger costs are added to your final bill. The website allows you to see specific charging costs as well as the superchargers used.
Auto Enthusiast, SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
What happens when you click the little question mark button next to that item?
You know, that's an excellent question. I did click on it and it showed me something about refueling for gasoline vehicles. I missed that the popup had a scrollbar, though. And it has this info for EVs:

The inclusion of supercharging is great. The requirement to return it with the same level of charge of face a penalty sucks a bit.

To make it more confusing, though, the "included" section looks very different when I try to make a reservation on my iPad (Safari, not Hertz app):

Originally Posted by ThatBri
Supercharger costs are added to your final bill. The website allows you to see specific charging costs as well as the superchargers used.
That seems to be contrary to what the website says (see my update). Was your experience in Germany, or perhaps in the US?

Also, does anyone know if the Teslas from Hertz include the mobile EVSE (charger in common parlance) for slow-charging from 110/220v outlets?
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 24, 2022 at 3:01 pm Reason: three consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: AC 50K, National Exec, Hertz Pres. Circle, HH Gold, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
My experience was in the US, not sure what it is like for other countries. Attached is from the Hertz website with my costs.

Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:58 am

My experience was in the US, not sure what it is like for other countries. Attached is from the Hertz website with my costs.
Did you really save any money?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 28, 2022 at 4:12 am Reason: removed image from quote
Old May 2, 2022, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Did you really save any money?
I did the math and factoring my company discount and fuel costs at the time ($6.5-$7 per gallon) the Model 3 was $40 more compared to a regular midsize rental for a 5 day trip. I'd say it's worth since the Model 3 was a guaranteed model.
SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Here's a data point for me on whether or not the Tesla saved any money.

I rented a Model 3 Long Range from Hertz LAX in late March, when gas prices were averaging $6.50/gallon and realistically it was tough to find any station under $6.25/gallon. I rented the car for 8 days and drove 600 miles - mostly in heavy local traffic. Assuming I rented a normal 4 door sedan like I normally do, I would estimate I would have averaged about 25 MPG, so I would have consumed 24 gallons of fuel at a cost of at least $150. The total bill I got from Hertz for supercharger fees came out to $53.50 - so I saved roughly $100 in fuel costs over 8 days. I also had a CDP which lowered the Tesla's rental cost a fair amount, but it still cost me $175 more than a full-size sedan.

So at the end of the day, my total cost came out to about $75 more but it was entirely worth it in my mind. It was my first time driving a Tesla and it was an absolute blast once I figured out all the controls.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did you charge the Tesla in LA?
SamirD likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Where did you charge the Tesla in LA?
Not the OP, but from the Superchargers app (3rd party):

The numbers (2, 3, ..) mean there are multiple SC locations in that area. Each super charger location has many (8-24?) individual chargers.

There are (obviously?) many more non-Tesla branded chargers. The L2 chargers would all work (assuming Hertz Teslas come with the J1772 adapter that comes with every car), for CHADeMO an adapter would be needed. CCS isn’t really an option yet as the Tesla adapter isn’t available in the US.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Has anyone traveling on a corporate CDP seen a negotiated rate for a Tesla? If so, what industry is your company in? Seems like an easy way to satisfy ESG, but I wasn’t sure if Teslas are too new to be in corporate deals. I’ve only seen xx% off the standard rate using CDPs for them so far.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Has anyone traveling on a corporate CDP seen a negotiated rate for a Tesla? If so, what industry is your company in? Seems like an easy way to satisfy ESG, but I wasnít sure if Teslas are too new to be in corporate deals. Iíve only seen xx% off the standard rate using CDPs for them so far.
I am in the public sector and my cdp gets teslas at fixed $60/day
SamirD and Ordpc like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bravo, that's probably the first really useful post in a few months as it sheds light on where you can fill the tank and how much it costs.

So let me ask, why so many stops? Were you topping off the battery, parked at a destination, or making a necessary fuel stop? Also I see a lot of early morning charges. Was this overnight parking at a hotel? If any of these were pure recharge stops, how long did you have to wait?

I think you have a lot of practical data here that would be useful for those of us who are wondering about the frequency and duration of recharging rentals (which for many of us normally require only a 5 min gas stop on the way to the airport)
SamirD and m907 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.