Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Dec 24, 2023, 10:21 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by SamirD
I quickly returned to other companies after they started charging if a return didn't come at a certain level. In my situation, the time savings from having a more powerful and quicker car gets offset by the charging headaches--and this is from someone who owns a Model 3 so I know the car inside and out. That's what I like about autoslash--you can specify a non-ev--even the rental web sites can't seem to do this on a search.
To be clear, the "Gas vehicles only" selection on our quote request form only affects the search (e.g. it prevents us from returning you rates for EVs if they are cheaper than gas vehicles). There's no "do not give me an EV" flag on a reservation. Regardless of whether you book a FCAR (fullsize gas car) through Hertz.com or through AutoSlash or through Expedia or anywhere else, if Hertz decides they want to give you a Kia EV6 on your FCAR reservation, there's not much we (or anyone else) can do about that. That ball is strictly in Hertz's court.

We appreciate your faith in us but don't want you to get your hopes falsely up too much.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by dlnewbie
I had a model Y from LAX over the weekend and used the digital key app. The one thing to remember ( or at least in this vehicle), is that if you use the key card, it will disable the usage of the app until re-paired. Once I got that out of the way, it was pretty nice, lock/unlock functionality available as well as the ability to view charging status. If using the key card it would seem that the car was giving the option for app pairing on every vehicle start. Overall a nice rental and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again particularly in a high fuel price area like Southern California. Do check before leaving and attempt to get the J1772 adapter if not in the trunk or frunk as it is supposed to be. Potentially I could have made use of some free charging but did not find the supercharger prices bad.
when you turned in the car were you able to remove the phone key? Couldn't figure out how to do that with mine, the Trash icons were all grayed out in the Locks section and was unable to remove. Tried rebooting the phone, turning off Bluetooth etc. and no luck.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by phelme
when you turned in the car were you able to remove the phone key? Couldn't figure out how to do that with mine, the Trash icons were all grayed out in the Locks section and was unable to remove. Tried rebooting the phone, turning off Bluetooth etc. and no luck.
Simply using the keycard to unlock and "start" the vehicle should be sufficient to remove the phone key pairing.
phelme, Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I've got a Hertz booking next month at PHX. Have booked the cheapest non-Manager special option which was a "(E1) Chevrolet Bolt EUV or similar" but hoping there'll be a Model 3 in one of the Gold Choice aisles (that's what I drive myself normally so am used to it!) and hopefully the QR code pairing will work as I've already got the app installed.

They seem to have repeatedly changed their EV charging fees - not sure if the old bits should be removed from the wiki now or not? (I didn't want to wade in and just delete lots of content!) Certainly when I first booked it was without being logged in (the Hertz website was only offering silly prices when logged in) and the confirmation email mentioned $35 fee. Then rebooked as logged in and it came up at $25, which fits with the above. I'm still a bit unclear on what leeway is allowed (e.g. if at 100% already), will ask at the time.

Is it just the J1772 adapter that should be supplied? In the UK most of our 7kW-22kW AC chargers are untethered and require a cable so wasn't sure if that was supplied too (however may not be required if most are tethered in the US).

EDIT - just saw this further down the T&Cs - looks like in theory they should supply the J1772 adapter + the UMC but no mention of a cable...

SamirD likes this.

Last edited by EDIflyer; Dec 29, 2023 at 6:25 am
Old Dec 29, 2023, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Simply using the keycard to unlock and "start" the vehicle should be sufficient to remove the phone key pairing.
That's what I did, brought back the QR code too.
phelme and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
If you go in the Tesla app and click on your profile in the top right, you can scroll down to Add/Remove Products and remove the vehicle.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
I've got a Hertz booking next month at PHX. Have booked the cheapest non-Manager special option which was a "(E1) Chevrolet Bolt EUV or similar" but hoping there'll be a Model 3 in one of the Gold Choice aisles (that's what I drive myself normally so am used to it!) and hopefully the QR code pairing will work as I've already got the app installed.
IFAC is not infrequently the cheapest car class these days. Just a heads-up that some locations seem to be enforcing that IFAC reservations do not qualify for Gold Choice access.

They seem to have repeatedly changed their EV charging fees - not sure if the old bits should be removed from the wiki now or not? (I didn't want to wade in and just delete lots of content!) Certainly when I first booked it was without being logged in (the Hertz website was only offering silly prices when logged in) and the confirmation email mentioned $35 fee. Then rebooked as logged in and it came up at $25, which fits with the above. I'm still a bit unclear on what leeway is allowed (e.g. if at 100% already), will ask at the time.
Anyone is welcome to change the wiki! I've considered it but I've lost track of what Hertz's current policy is (since I haven't rented an EV in a few months) and didn't want to put inaccurate info.

Is it just the J1772 adapter that should be supplied? In the UK most of our 7kW-22kW AC chargers are untethered and require a cable so wasn't sure if that was supplied too (however may not be required if most are tethered in the US).

EDIT - just saw this further down the T&Cs - looks like in theory they should supply the J1772 adapter + the UMC but no mention of a cable...
In theory, every Tesla from Hertz should come with a J1772 adapter. And in theory, renters who fail to return them should be charged for them. But they're small, dark, and lightweight, and enforcement of that is basically zero. Hertz isn't checking at return to make sure they get returned, and they aren't checking during cleaning to make sure one's in the car. It's just too small of an item to pay attention to, plus it's still a new procedure and it takes time for new processes to get baked into the collective consciousness.

Same goes for the UMC, though it's a bit bulkier and also more expensive, so you'd think Hertz would want to check for it...but I've rented multiple Teslas with them missing. (The UMC is basically worthless, though, since 120V charging is insanely slow and almost isn't even worth messing with.)

As far as cables, basically 100% of cables in North America are tethered, so the concept of carrying around your own cable is foreign here. While it's arguably a better solution (especially for things like charging on the street at sockets on light poles, etc.), it just isn't a thing here...yet. I think I read that the SAE did incorporate it into the NACS standard that was recently published so maybe we might start seeing some development along those lines in the future, but for now, every charger comes with its own cable permanently attached. (The only exceptions are if you want to plug into a standard 120V socket using the UMC, which does come with the cable/plug needed to plug into a standard 120V socket, or if you've purchased the adapter to plug into a NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 outlet to be able to charge from an electric dryer socket or RV hookup at a campground--you'll need your own cable for those, but that would be an uncommon use case for a rental car.)
Old Dec 29, 2023, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
That's what I did, brought back the QR code too.
yep, tried that multiple times with no success; the Trash icon was never selectable. the QR code for pairing would also pop-up again like when I first picked up the car when I used the supplied key card (but the phone key could still function, as well as the app's remote capabilities).

anyway, someone on the Reddit TeslaSupport subreddit said not to worry about it, as the standard procedure (if followed) is for Hertz to remove all excess keys on the turn-around. there is likely a way in the fleet software to do that.

In theory, every Tesla from Hertz should come with a J1772 adapter. And in theory, renters who fail to return them should be charged for them.

(The UMC is basically worthless, though, since 120V charging is insanely slow and almost isn't even worth messing with.)
when I travel, I always now carry two adapters, a spare Tesla to J1772 in case Hertz messes up and one going the other way for CCS-1 vehicles (used it recently on a Polestar 2 rental where Tesla Destination chargers were more plentiful).

As for a mobile connector, it depends, if one is lucky enough to be staying multiple days at a home rental that has outside AC plugs, they can be useful. I used one that came with the aforementioned Polestar 2 over 3 days and was happy to have it.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 27, 2024 at 3:50 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 29, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
IFAC is not infrequently the cheapest car class these days. Just a heads-up that some locations seem to be enforcing that IFAC reservations do not qualify for Gold Choice access.
Hmm interesting and thanks for the heads-up! - as ever the website is pretty poor but I see their blog only excluded economy & compact so I'll certainly challenge that if they try it.

Anyone is welcome to change the wiki! I've considered it but I've lost track of what Hertz's current policy is (since I haven't rented an EV in a few months) and didn't want to put inaccurate info.
Haha same - I'll aim to update after my trip.

In theory, every Tesla from Hertz should come with a J1772 adapter. And in theory, renters who fail to return them should be charged for them. But they're small, dark, and lightweight, and enforcement of that is basically zero. Hertz isn't checking at return to make sure they get returned, and they aren't checking during cleaning to make sure one's in the car. It's just too small of an item to pay attention to, plus it's still a new procedure and it takes time for new processes to get baked into the collective consciousness.

Same goes for the UMC, though it's a bit bulkier and also more expensive, so you'd think Hertz would want to check for it...but I've rented multiple Teslas with them missing. (The UMC is basically worthless, though, since 120V charging is insanely slow and almost isn't even worth messing with.)

As far as cables, basically 100% of cables in North America are tethered, so the concept of carrying around your own cable is foreign here. While it's arguably a better solution (especially for things like charging on the street at sockets on light poles, etc.), it just isn't a thing here...yet. I think I read that the SAE did incorporate it into the NACS standard that was recently published so maybe we might start seeing some development along those lines in the future, but for now, every charger comes with its own cable permanently attached. (The only exceptions are if you want to plug into a standard 120V socket using the UMC, which does come with the cable/plug needed to plug into a standard 120V socket, or if you've purchased the adapter to plug into a NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 outlet to be able to charge from an electric dryer socket or RV hookup at a campground--you'll need your own cable for those, but that would be an uncommon use case for a rental car.)
OK that makes a lot of sense - very helpful, thanks. Will have a look for them and see if present and if not flag it up (to at least be noted that they're not there).
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:29 pm

I just returned a M3LR at AUS with 88% charge and they tried to bill me 25 USD charge fee. When I asked what exactly the policy was the agent told me I had to return within 5% of the charge when I left. Somehow taking out a car with 92% and returning with 88% is not within policy...
They removed the fee after some arguing.
So 5% it is according to Hertz in AUS. Anyone else had the 5% margin at another Hertz location?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:46 am

has anyone used the new Digital Key feature on a rental that Hertz rolled out in the fall (allows the renter to use the Tesla app)? I'm picking up a Model Y tomorrow and hopefully this one will have it.

I'm wondering though how to bring up the QR code screen if it's not showing (because we all know rental turn-around isn't always 100% ), can't seem to find any info on that.

EDIT: here is some info from a Tesla forum, if the car isn't prepped properly before you get it and the QR code isn't showing. it's quite the process to reset it. probably better to check in the lot before driving off so someone there can do it. One would think by now they'd have access to the Tesla software for fleet use at each location.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/7951966/
I got a Model 3 SR as a rental this week from a local Hertz and it had the QR code popping up. I downloaded the Tesla app, signed into my Tesla account and was able to register the car. It failed the first couple times to register the car, but once I was signed into the app I force quit it in the iPhone task manager and relaunched it and it worked. My only complaint is that the Tesla app is quite slow. But I have an older iPhone so that's probably more of a "me" problem. It works fine to unlock and start the car and its better than carrying around the huge fob/card/key that Hertz gives you.

The Model 3 I was given had the J1772 charging adapter in the center storage area. The branch employee did say that they have had several stolen in the past.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:58 pm

I reserved the manager's special out of PDX today. Upon arrival, I could pick anything out of Gold. They had three EV's... two Bolt EUV and one Niro. One Bolt was at 100% charge and one was about 3/4. Asked how the recharging worked. Was told you have to recharge it to within 5% of the SOC received, or you pay a $25 fee. If you return it below 10%, it's a $35 fee. I have a home charger and was planning to charge right before returning, so I took the one that wasn't "full" so I could charge extra to be sure I was fine. The rep said I could charge it at the Tesla supercharger station down the street (which I don't think is accurate since it's not a Magic Dock). Interestingly, I looked my rental record and it shows that the charge was 0% at pickup.

Then I found this in the glovebox showing if returned at 70% or above, there is no charge.

The Bolt is a good car for commuting. Easy to park, pretty simple to operate but not very quick (I have a Model 3).
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by ExManager; Jan 5, 2024 at 7:01 pm Reason: Added Photo
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:48 pm

Will be in MCO at the end of the month for some sun. Got a 9 day Model 3 LR for 400$ CDN which is fine by me. See how it goes and will report back as per
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:27 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
To be clear, the "Gas vehicles only" selection on our quote request form only affects the search (e.g. it prevents us from returning you rates for EVs if they are cheaper than gas vehicles). There's no "do not give me an EV" flag on a reservation. Regardless of whether you book a FCAR (fullsize gas car) through Hertz.com or through AutoSlash or through Expedia or anywhere else, if Hertz decides they want to give you a Kia EV6 on your FCAR reservation, there's not much we (or anyone else) can do about that. That ball is strictly in Hertz's court.

We appreciate your faith in us but don't want you to get your hopes falsely up too much.
Thank you so much for the first hand clarification.

When I rented a Bolt (well, I swapped the half disassembled and reassembled Tesla they first gave me), it was brand new and came with the charger. Because it's native j1772, I didn't need an adapter.

Initially, the Teslas I rented also came with the charger (and I even used it once) as well as the j1772 adapter. The most recent rental had neither and after a day they were able to dig up one, but I had been using ours in the meantime. Be sure to note on the rental record if you don't have a charger or adapter because they apparently are charging customers for these even when they aren't replacing them in the cars. It's a bit of a racket.

(The UMC is basically worthless, though, since 120V charging is insanely slow and almost isn't even worth messing with.)
I wouldn't call the UMC worthless--they're nearly $300 on ebay since the newer cars don't come with them anymore. Same for that J1772 adapter--$50. And these can be billed to you if Hertz wants to stick to the letter of their agreement, so I'd be sure anything missing is duly noted.

Originally Posted by ExManager
The Bolt is a good car for commuting. Easy to park, pretty simple to operate but not very quick (I have a Model 3).
It will burnout the front tires if you put it in sport mode. I didn't realize it when I first set it up that way and took off from a red light. The one real drawback on the Bolt is the inability to go much faster than 90mph--this is needed in some traffic situations. I also don't like the rear brake lights mounted in the bumper--why the FMVSS would allow this is beyond me because anyone high up and close won't see the brake lights turn on since they're so low. And the Bolt isn't the only EV that's done this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 27, 2024 at 3:51 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SamirD
I also don't like the rear brake lights mounted in the bumper--why the FMVSS would allow this is beyond me because anyone high up and close won't see the brake lights turn on since they're so low. And the Bolt isn't the only EV that's done this.
Actually, just about every Kia/Hyundai, gas or electric is this way now and it is so stupid. I agree that it is more unsafe having the lights so low. When you are behind one, that isn't where you eyes shift naturally to look for brake lights!!
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.