Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Third this won't work for the drive to Hana, …
I don’t know which road you take to Hana, but the standard way from Lahaina to Hana is just 72 miles. Easy to do the round trip in any Tesla model Hertz is buying without recharging along the way.

But hey, what do I know, I work for an oil company...
Indeed.

Hertz just put me into a brand new Nissan Maxima for a week. Boy did I miss my EV while driving around Oahu.
Auto Enthusiast and DCAhome like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hertz just put me into a brand new Nissan Maxima for a week. Boy did I miss my EV while driving around Oahu.
But what if there was a hurricane evacuation order!?!
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Doppy
But what if there was a hurricane evacuation order!?!

Id be unlikely to run out of gas in the traffic jam on the freeway.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:27 pm

Wow, such negativity in this thread! Emerging (growth) technologies and products are where the fun is at, ya old geezers!

Hertz is making the right choice. As I understand the rental car business; the more the vehicle depreciates, the less profit there is. Tesla has such incredible demand for their vehicles that they have 6 month+ wait lists. The resulting used car market for Tesla is just ridiculous; appreciating car values is just unheard of. I grew up thinking you bought a new car, and the minute it left the lot, it lost 30%. So this is just crazy - seeing 30k mile vehicles selling above MSRP. Had Hertz went with a GM EV - then I would be more skeptical. Those EVs just do not have the same resale value as a Tesla. Teslas are like Apple computers - in that they command a premium, offer a premium experience, set the standard that other brands aspire to, have cult like followings, and have insane resale values (resale value of a 3yr old Tesla vs 3 year old GM EV. Resale value of 3 year old MacBook Pro vs 3 year old Dell)

A lot of tech workers who are skeptics of EVs said this announcement from Hertz really made the EV movement seem real - as if were in a new phase of EV adoption & market penetration.

Offerings like this will only accelerate installations of EV chargers - at hotels, conference centers, airports, etc. Some are even wondering if Hertz is going to try and become a EV gas station of sorts - selling excess capacity & access to their DC fast chargers to the public. I imagine this will also help increase the number of Tesla mechanics, Tesla service centers, and Tesla approved body repair shops around the country

DC fast chargers can take a vehicle from 5% to 80% in like 20 minutes now, so there isnt a big an issue here as people might think. I imagine Hertz will install the vehicle chargers in the cleaning bays, as each vehicle takes about 20 minutes to clean.

I respect the work people of yesteryear have done to bring us the internal combustion engine, hydrocarbon extraction, crude refinement, crude oil transportation; but this is the future - EVs. They are here to stay. I highly recommend people who have enjoyed generous returns on their investments in hydrocarbons to consider looking at stocks supporting these emerging technologies. Obviously weve all seen the success Tesla stock has had; but not as many pay attention to returns offered by companies like Albemarle, SolarEdge, EnPhase, and other core suppliers of this movement.

Oil isnt going away tomorrow, but a diversified mix of energy sources only makes America stronger, more independent.

As a result of this; I imagine Hertz will have improved margins, higher revenue and increased customer retention. The vehicles will command a premium rental price (many people will pay 10% more rental rate to drive a $60k Tesla than a $60k Buick). The vehicle resale will be higher. Customers like me are committing to the Hertz brand for our leisure purchases - actively seeking out these Teslas.

Ask any EV owner what its like going back to an ancient ICE car as a rental; its like going from a Model T back to horse and buggy. I guarantee you; Tesla owners do not want to rent ancient ICE cars.

Kudos to Hertz management and leadership for this initiative. This will payoff.

Last edited by factory81; Nov 16, 2021 at 4:09 pm
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Nice in theory but not in practice. As WSJ reports below, EV's are more expensive when you can't charge at home. Not to mention time is money and I hate spending even 10 minutes to fill my tank on the way to the airport. NO WAY I will spend 30-60 minutes charging my car multiple times on a rental.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-muc...ing_now_news_2

(sorry WSJ paywall)
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:32 am

I just noticed the JW Marriott Marco Island has free electric vehicle charging. How cool is that? I've never had a hotel offer free gasoline before.

I never even thought about that aspect.

I don't think charging will be an issue. I plug in the car, and go to bed. Of course, if we have to wait 10 minutes for a DC fast charger, we will just head to a Starbucks or use the restroom. One thing unique about EV is the gas tank is full everytime you get in it. None of us have ever lived with an ICE car that magically filled its gas tank up over night. Everyday in the vehicle, you have a full 350-360 miles of range.

I am so excited to not have to fill up with smelly gasoline - yuck. Plus, gas is expensive energy - costing like $5/gallon. Can't beat free....

Where I live, I have free solar energy. So gasoline is already free for me. But if I did pay for electric, it is 13c/kwh. A battery for an EV is anywhere from 70-90kw. So a EV costs like $11 to fill. For $11, you get 350 miles of range. Or if you use solar, you just have free gasoline. $11 in actual hydrocarbon gasoline will get me like... 28 miles in city traffic.
​​​​
Ted S likes this.

Last edited by factory81; Nov 15, 2021 at 5:44 am
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by factory81
I just noticed the JW Marriott Marco Island has free electric vehicle charging. How cool is that? I've never had a hotel offer free gasoline before.

I never even thought about that aspect.

I don't think charging will be an issue. I plug in the car, and go to bed. Of course, if we have to wait 10 minutes for a DC fast charger, we will just head to a Starbucks or use the restroom. One thing unique about EV is the gas tank is full everytime you get in it. None of us have ever lived with an ICE car that magically filled its gas tank up over night. Everyday in the vehicle, you have a full 350-360 miles of range.

​​​​
If you look around, there are quite a few hotels nowadays that offer Tesla destination chargers or general J1772 level 2 chargers. Often free. Definitely a nice perk to have a full car in the morning. We stayed at a couple of AirBnB style rentals this year. Parking in the driveway or garage with access to a regular outlet (one of them had a 240v outlet, but I didn’t have the matching adapter) was nice - all roadtrips for the week were free.

And many fast chargers have some sort of restaurant or coffee shop nearby. On roadtrips I usually combine gas stops with potty and coffee breaks. While the car refuels, I take care of my business.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Nov 15, 2021 at 11:32 pm
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice in theory but not in practice. As WSJ reports below, EV's are more expensive when you can't charge at home. Not to mention time is money and I hate spending even 10 minutes to fill my tank on the way to the airport. NO WAY I will spend 30-60 minutes charging my car multiple times on a rental.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-muc...ing_now_news_2

(sorry WSJ paywall)
If you "hate spending even 10 minutes" getting gas on the way to the airport, Hertz Telsas seem to be your obvious choice.

If you read the posts above, you'll see that the terms and conditions say that Hertz gives you the car >80% and allows you to return it as long as it has at least 10% left. So (1) you almost certainly won't need to stop on the way the airport to recharge, and (2) you basically get one "free tank of gas" with a Tesla in this case, since you get it full and can return empty.

Even if charging a Tesla costs 2x per mile as gas and you avoid free charging options, you'd have to drive 500+ miles before you hit a break even point. And with currently high gas prices, I doubt electric charging is twice as expensive.
notquiteaff and Ted S like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You miss the point. It is not worth my time to worry about whether my hotel has a charger or to worry about where I can recharge vehicle. It is not necessary when I can rent a gas-powered vehicle and stop at any convenient gas station to refill. My last rental was a 10-day trip through multiple New England states with multiple refills. Gas stations were easy to find, but I don't recall seeing chargers at any of the hotels.

I concede that Tesla may work well for shorter rentals where re-charge is not required.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don’t know which road you take to Hana, but the standard way from Lahaina to Hana is just 72 miles. Easy to do the round trip in any Tesla model Hertz is buying without recharging along the way.
Typically the one-way drive from Kaluhui takes 3 hours nonstop (but everyone stops) as the speeds are low. So if the juice usage is strictly based on mileage then yes, I need a better example. But if it runs out after a certain usage period (as other devices do, e.g. phones) then I expect to find Teslas on the side of the road.
m907 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically the one-way drive from Kaluhui takes 3 hours nonstop (but everyone stops) as the speeds are low. So if the juice usage is strictly based on mileage then yes, I need a better example. But if it runs out after a certain usage period (as other devices do, e.g. phones) then I expect to find Teslas on the side of the road.
Me thinks you need to learn more about how EVs work before arguing that they wont work for you.

A rental might be the perfect opportunity. Say, a Tesla from Hertz
rhwbullhead and DCAhome like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
If you "hate spending even 10 minutes" getting gas on the way to the airport, Hertz Telsas seem to be your obvious choice.

If you read the posts above, you'll see that the terms and conditions say that Hertz gives you the car >80% and allows you to return it as long as it has at least 10% left. So (1) you almost certainly won't need to stop on the way the airport to recharge, and (2) you basically get one "free tank of gas" with a Tesla in this case, since you get it full and can return empty.

Even if charging a Tesla costs 2x per mile as gas and you avoid free charging options, you'd have to drive 500+ miles before you hit a break even point. And with currently high gas prices, I doubt electric charging is twice as expensive.
That is definitely one interpretation of the terms, but I don't see where it specifically *says* that the renter will not pay a fee to recharge to the ~80% they say it is going out with. They say that you must return it with greater than 10%, which could just mean that they want to be sure that they don't have to tow it to the charger. And given that they had the opportunity to specifically say that there is no fee for recharging - and didn't - it's probably not safe to hang your hat on that detail until there are some real-world data points to base it on.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
My local hertz was supposed to get their vehicles 3 weeks ago but still hasn't, and when I talked to them over the weekend they said they now have no idea when they are getting them. They did have two of the chargers installed at their location.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You miss the point. It is not worth my time to worry about whether my hotel has a charger or to worry about where I can recharge vehicle. It is not necessary when I can rent a gas-powered vehicle and stop at any convenient gas station to refill. My last rental was a 10-day trip through multiple New England states with multiple refills. Gas stations were easy to find, but I don't recall seeing chargers at any of the hotels.
I don't spend much time worrying about refueling a car, I just set one as a destination on Google maps or Waze. I don't see it being any different with electric charging, which is pretty widely available right now and will be massively more so in the not too distant future.
notquiteaff and DCAhome like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I've been looking at Hertz prices lately and the Tesla is often the cheapest option. We rarely drive more than 200 miles on our short trips, so I guess we wouldn't even have to worry about the charging stuff.

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Wonder what the Hertz fee would be for not returning it with a full charge.
The terms and conditions say the car has to be returned with at least 10% charge. They guarantee at pickup the car will have at leas an 80% charge.

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
I've been looking at Hertz prices lately and the Tesla is often the cheapest option. We rarely drive more than 200 miles on our short trips, so I guess we wouldn't even have to worry about the charging stuff.
I just checked prices again and the prices seem to have gone way up. Either that or I wasn't paying attention the first time. Hertz is providing free charging until February.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 25, 2021 at 4:25 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:22 pm

Tesla Charging Fee?

If Teslas are returned with a low battery level is there a fee for charging similar to returning a car without a full gas tank?

I am also curious how Hertz handles Teslas that are returned to a HLE that does not have a charging station?
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 1, 2022 at 6:25 am Reason: moved into existing thread that has answers to these questions

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.