Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:35 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 42
This is going to cause massive problems with the Hertz locations in Manhattan. They don't refill gas and you get whatever level was in the car the person before you returned with.
I have received cars with near empty gas tanks.
Cars are sent out again as soon as they are returned with no time for the location to recharge.
I can see people returning electric cars with little charge left and the next person to pick up will be lucky if they can even make it to a charging station.
I predict very large penalties if you return a car with minimal charge left.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Joes is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:29 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ORD
Posts: 369
So...any idea when (and where) I'll be able to book a Tesla? The only details that were in the press release were "Tesla’s Model 3 sedans will be available to rent at Hertz locations in major U.S. markets and parts of Europe starting in early November"

edit: Found the following statement at https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/renta...a-car-rentals/
"
Tesla Model 3 rentals available for pick up starting November 7."
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by TribalistMeathead; Oct 26, 2021 at 8:33 am Reason: Added additional info
TribalistMeathead is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:35 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 237
We're all assuming "it must be 100%" because our mindset has been so set on the ways of gasoline fuel tanks. But the simplest solution is just delivering/receiving the cars at 80%. Maximizes battery longevity, allows customers to return "full" by topping off elsewhere, and reduces Hertz's own time expenditure getting the last 20% (takes longer to charge the last bit).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
glostix is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:49 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,925
I can tell that none of the posters, so far, live in a hurricane evacuation zone.
Boraxo, Auto Enthusiast and TGarza like this.
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2021, 3:16 pm
  #35  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Posts: 15,933
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
All good points. I was really bummed because this particular trip would have been an excellent use case for an EV - 20 miles from airport to hotel on Monday, 10 mile round trip from hotel to job site Tuesday - Thursday, then 5 miles to customer and 20 back to the airport on Friday. So, 85 miles? I think it cost $16 to fill up the Jeep Compass that I ended up in.
Yes but the Tesla will be a premium selection so the daily rate will be at least $99 v $50 for the compact SUV. In fact I was finding SUVs to be cheaper than economy sedans in many locations, pre-pandemic.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Boraxo is online now  
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:18 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 4,225
There could be much more to the story. https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/beh...dy-11635283895
xienon and m907 like this.
Auto Enthusiast is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:18 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 3,163
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
There could be much more to the story. https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/beh...dy-11635283895
The possibility of tax credits came to mind, but I sort-of presumed those would be restricted to individual purchases. I hadn't thought of "qualified commercial vehicles" in this context.

Then again, if you pair that with the degree to which Teslas are holding their value, we're back to my "low-risk flip gambit" point, just on steroids (since there's a large up-front credit for this). Honestly, Hertz probably just made somewhere in the ballpark of $1-1.5bn without renting a single car...and that might well be enough to go a long way towards otherwise rebuilding the rest of their fleet.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
GrayAnderson is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:35 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 3,163
Originally Posted by Joes
This is going to cause massive problems with the Hertz locations in Manhattan. They don't refill gas and you get whatever level was in the car the person before you returned with.
I have received cars with near empty gas tanks.
Cars are sent out again as soon as they are returned with no time for the location to recharge.
I can see people returning electric cars with little charge left and the next person to pick up will be lucky if they can even make it to a charging station.
I predict very large penalties if you return a car with minimal charge left.
I mean, they do that last bit with regular rentals as it is (I've seen charges at like $9/gallon).

As to cars coming in on fumes, the "culprit" here is "buy the tank", which I've done with some frequency over the years since the price there is usually competitive with (or even a bit less) than surrounding stations. The flipside is that since they won't re-credit you with any remaining fuel in the tank, the incentive for the renter is to return the car on fumes. What they need to do, in those situations, is re-credit up to 1/4 of the tank (or thereabouts) if the location tends to have rapid turnover.

Originally Posted by glostix
We're all assuming "it must be 100%" because our mindset has been so set on the ways of gasoline fuel tanks. But the simplest solution is just delivering/receiving the cars at 80%. Maximizes battery longevity, allows customers to return "full" by topping off elsewhere, and reduces Hertz's own time expenditure getting the last 20% (takes longer to charge the last bit).
The "smart" move would be to include an explicit "sliding scale" here (where returning at 80% or more results in no fee, the fee is marginal at 60-80%, and the fees get steeper the further down you are until it's up there with "Fuel and Service Charge" rates down under 20%).

One thing that will be a probable snarl is dealing with situations where "Well, I got the car 'empty'" happens, since these agencies are loath to give you a credit on the car having more fuel in it on return than pickup, and as things stand, the rule is generally "If we give it to you less-than-full, then you can return it at the same level as you got it". Honestly, the solution there is probably to say "You need to return it at 75-80% or higher. If we give it to you below that, you get a credit that's equal to X% of the fee that would be charged for the missing charge". You'll probably also need some sort of "Car will have X% charge when we give it to you" guarantee, though that'll get into a spot if the choice is between "low charge car" or "no car for an hour".

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I can tell that none of the posters, so far, live in a hurricane evacuation zone.
Oh, the aftermath of a hurricane when I was in high school is a large part of the "no-sale" for all-electric cars for me. Losing power for two weeks is something that'll make almost anybody a little bit "twitchy" on this front, since in such a situation the odds are better of a gas station being able to fuel me up with an on-site generator running the pumps than for me being able to find a live charging station.

[The "patch" to this is, of course, to have a generator running at your house...but in that case, I'd be tempted to start describing the car in question as a diesel-electric.]
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
GrayAnderson is offline  
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:07 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 4,485
Originally Posted by Duck1981
If the new CEO does what he says it's not too late to buy back in again. I also hold SIXT and the performance was better than expected due to rental prices which have obviously skyrocketed, so not sure why Hertz won't benefit as well in the mid term.
I actually meant TSLA, I accidentally sold at like $700, made a bunch of cash, nothing wrong with that, but it feels EXTRA stupid now of course lol
drvannostren is offline  
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:54 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,801
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I mean, they do that last bit with regular rentals as it is (I've seen charges at like $9/gallon).

As to cars coming in on fumes, the "culprit" here is "buy the tank", which I've done with some frequency over the years since the price there is usually competitive with (or even a bit less) than surrounding stations. The flipside is that since they won't re-credit you with any remaining fuel in the tank, the incentive for the renter is to return the car on fumes. What they need to do, in those situations, is re-credit up to 1/4 of the tank (or thereabouts) if the location tends to have rapid turnover.
The prepaid gas scheme is a ripoff because you have to pay the taxes and fees on the prepaid gas, making it more expensive.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
m907 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:47 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,925
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson

Oh, the aftermath of a hurricane when I was in high school is a large part of the "no-sale" for all-electric cars for me. Losing power for two weeks is something that'll make almost anybody a little bit "twitchy" on this front, since in such a situation the odds are better of a gas station being able to fuel me up with an on-site generator running the pumps than for me being able to find a live charging station.

[The "patch" to this is, of course, to have a generator running at your house...but in that case, I'd be tempted to start describing the car in question as a diesel-electric.]
That too, but I was thinking of people evacuating during Katrina and Ida. A normal 5-6 hour drive on the Interstate became a 12-14 hour drive in creeping, bumper to bumper traffic. An EV would be a “non-starter” in that situation. My house was without power for a month after Katrina.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:36 am
  #42  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,094
So Hertz is apparently getting into the business of renting out Teslas to Uber drivers. [Uber doesn't want to own the cars because it wants to try to avoid having the drivers classified as Uber employees, so Uber makes the deal while enabling Uber drivers to get what Uber wants out there.] Seems Hertz wants to maximize fleet utilization that way -- and maybe even (parking) lot utilization. Hertz have also partnered with Carvana to try to improve Hertz's fleet cycling/refreshing/disposal situations going forward.

Hertz's hedge fund/private equity owners seem to be really willing to push the envelope after they took control of it out of bankruptcy.

Hertz is based out of Florida. I assume they are aware of hurricanes and power outages.
Auto Enthusiast and xienon like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 27, 2021 at 6:42 am
GUWonder is offline  
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:02 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London (mostly) & Wernstein am Inn
Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 2,433
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I actually meant TSLA, I accidentally sold at like $700, made a bunch of cash, nothing wrong with that, but it feels EXTRA stupid now of course lol
...the only thing I would say is if you believe that Elon is (again) right that they'll sell 30mn cars by 2030 then $1040 is still an attractive entry point
Duck1981 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:35 am
  #44  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: St Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 2,255
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So Hertz is apparently getting into the business of renting out Teslas to Uber drivers.
Now we will be able to see the awful economics of electric cars, even after the massive subsidies already given to TSLA and HTZ. Let's see how many Uber drivers pay $334 a week + charging fees + the big bump in insurance for a $42k car that self-destructs upon impact. Maybe some of the green-worshippers on this board will wait another 15 minutes for each trip + pay a premium to ride in one instead of a used Honda Accord, but not me.
Tino is offline  
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:42 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: أمريكا
Posts: 26,793
Electric cars always bring out a lot of ideological opposition, "justified" by bizarre edge cases like renting a car during a hurricane evacuation order, which surely is a very small portion of Hertz' business.

Hybrid market share may be decreasing, but fully electric is increasing.

Hertz locations in Manhattan can work a 15 minute charge into the business process without disrupting the entire operation.

Range, battery life, charging speed are increasing, costs will decrease. The trends are well underway, this isn't a wild prediction.
notquiteaff and Kgmm77 like this.
Doppy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.