Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Old Oct 14, 2022, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SamirD
From the tone of the way they bill it (not even a separate billing surcharge), this seems to have been part of the agreement with Tesla for billing integration, which I'm sure was a lot of work on Tesla's side. And if Tesla did this work pro bono, they sure don't want hertz just profiting off of it.
Might also be a legal issue. Selling electricity is regulated in many (all?) states, which is why some chargers charge by time and others by kWh. Perhaps it just wasn’t worth it for Hertz to work out what they need to do to be in compliance.

And if Hertz were to start surcharging SC sessions, I might have another reason for carrying my CCS adapter with me.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Might also be a legal issue. Selling electricity is regulated in many (all?) states, which is why some chargers charge by time and others by kWh. Perhaps it just wasnít worth it for Hertz to work out what they need to do to be in compliance.

And if Hertz were to start surcharging SC sessions, I might have another reason for carrying my CCS adapter with me.
Yep, we ran into this in the hospitality industry back in the day on phone call markups. At some point, the states realized that the amount of 'profit' between the amount we paid as the hotel and the amount we charged the guest, was taxable. The problem came when trying to determine that on every single phone call for an entire month as there was no way to reliably and accurately account for it. And to prevent problems, we were required to just pay tax on the whole gross 'phone sales' which many times ate more than any 'profit' because the tax was on a much larger amount. So what ended up happening is that hotels just stopped charging extra for phone calls, and even stopped using call accounting machines that were supposed to calculate the charge--because again is it impossible to reliably and accurately account for every single call to every single guest folio. It also helped that the costs on long distance started to drop and just be bundled in with a commercial line with a 'cap' of xxx minutes. And then the cell phones came along and completely wiped out the phone. And those hotels that were lucky enough to have run cat5 for the room phone runs were able to re-purpose it for the 'next big thing'--Internet access in every room.

So I think you're absolutely right--Hertz didn't want to take on the title and responsibility of an 'energy provider'.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by pmadden
Unlike a ChargePoint station (or other 3rd party charge station) Tesla Supercharger stations have no means of paying on-site. You simply plug the charger in, and the cost is billed back to the Tesla account linked to the owner of vehicle (in this case, Hertz). Those costs are then billed back to you at the end of your rental. Fortunately (for now) Hertz doesn't mark up those costs like they do with, say, toll charges - it's just pass-through billing.
Yeah, that was kind of my train of thought there - that this would be another revenue generator like tolls and fuel.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Had another quick Tesla M3 rental at LAX. Once again received LR model, with about 8500 miles and 70% charge when I picked it up. Glove box was pin-locked (perhaps by a previous customer?), but otherwise it was not restricted. This time there was no mobile charger kit in the vehicle, but a J1772 adapter was found in the sub trunk (in what looked like 3rd party packaging, so maybe Hertz is replacing missing OEM parts with alternative adapters?)

The driver side window wasn’t tightly sealed resulting in a lot of wind noise. We noticed the same issue on the passenger side of our previous rental. Perhaps damage from previous renters repeatedly opening the doors with the emergency handles instead of buttons?

Also noticed that the two side cameras were not functional, and the passenger seat couldn’t be moved forward or backward.
SamirD and dennyzrh like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 10:44 pm

This time there was no mobile charger kit in the vehicle, but a J1772 adapter was found in the sub trunk (in what looked like 3rd party packaging, so maybe Hertz is replacing missing OEM parts with alternative adapters?)

The driver side window wasn’t tightly sealed resulting in a lot of wind noise. We noticed the same issue on the passenger side of our previous rental. Perhaps damage from previous renters repeatedly opening the doors with the emergency handles instead of buttons?

Also noticed that the two side cameras were not functional, and the passenger seat couldn’t be moved forward or backward.
Makes sense it's third party since the factory kits are harder to come by these days as they're not being given away with the car anymore, and the chinese junk manufacturers have gotten the IP to copy the adapter and sell it for 1/2 the cost of an original.

I would urge you to make sure that you go back and make sure the rental desk notes any damages or deficiencies with the car immediately since these will be billed to you and/or the next person and so on until it gets fixed. On my last rental, the tires were all under-inflated by 10psi and when a front tire blew out because of this, they wanted to pin it on me versus take responsibility. Good thing I own one of these because someone else would have lost control when that tire blew. You think the agency would have cared that this deficiency was brought up without harm, but they could care less.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by SamirD; Oct 24, 2022 at 3:37 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: AY Plat, Swiss SEN, Hertz Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Also noticed that the two side cameras were not functional, and the passenger seat couldnít be moved forward or backward.
that are things you may fix with a factory/ hard reset of the car, because most times itís only a hang up
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by dennyzrh
that are things you may fix with a factory/ hard reset of the car, because most times itís only a hang up
Good to know--so you mean the 'hold both steering wheel buttons' reset?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:41 am

Good to know--so you mean the 'hold both steering wheel buttons' reset?
- both wheel buttons for 10sec is soft reset
- Controls-> Safety-> Power off and car shuts down. After 2-5 minutes press the brakes or open a door to start the car. Thatís hard reset
- Controls-> Service-> Factory reset-> erase and reset for Factory reset
Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:14 pm

- both wheel buttons for 10sec is soft reset
- Controls-> Safety-> Power off and car shuts down. After 2-5 minutes press the brakes or open a door to start the car. That’s hard reset
- Controls-> Service-> Factory reset-> erase and reset for Factory reset
Thank you! Knew about the first two, but never messed with the third.

I wonder if doing the factory reset will get rid of the speed limiters and glove box pins...
Auto Enthusiast and dennyzrh like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:13 am

Thank you! Knew about the first two, but never messed with the third.

I wonder if doing the factory reset will get rid of the speed limiters and glove box pins...
technically it should be

When I pick up the MY, my plan is to make a quick check on the lot, that all systems works fine. This means to look that all doors and frunk/trunk open and close, cameras and sensors are working, quick look at the Car fault memory. Is there any bigger problem, I can ask for a other Tesla or probably go directly to a Tesla Service Center in distance to fix it.
Auto Enthusiast and SamirD like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:42 am

technically it should be

When I pick up the MY, my plan is to make a quick check on the lot, that all systems works fine. This means to look that all doors and frunk/trunk open and close, cameras and sensors are working, quick look at the Car fault memory. Is there any bigger problem, I can ask for a other Tesla or probably go directly to a Tesla Service Center in distance to fix it.
If you find any issues, I would make sure they note it on the inspection report so you don't get charged for those as 'damages'.
Auto Enthusiast and dennyzrh like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:01 am

After a little battle with the German hertz website, I was able to book a MY (Group E9) at LAX from 11/27 to 12/07 (10 days) for as little as 501.-USD/ 504.-Euro prepaid (Finnair Plat CDP, Rate includes LIS/CDW)

I think, 50.-USD a day with insurance is quite a nice deal for a Tesla MY and it was one of the cheapest avialable SUV for the date….. a Nissan Rouge (Q4) starts at 504.- USD
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After a little battle with the German hertz website, I was able to book a MY (Group E9) at LAX from 11/27 to 12/07 (10 days) for as little as 501.-USD/ 504.-Euro prepaid (Finnair Plat CDP, Rate includes LIS/CDW)

I think, 50.-USD a day with insurance is quite a nice deal for a Tesla MY and it was one of the cheapest avialable SUV for the date….. a Nissan Rouge (Q4) starts at 504.- USD
That is a great rate. I paid about double that price for a M3 recently via autoslash. Fortunately I needed it only for one day, and free charging at my hotel and the joy of driving the vehicle made it still worth it.

Maybe I should book my next rental on the German Hertz site? Would my US address in my Gold profile prevent me from using it?
SamirD and dennyzrh like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:31 am

Maybe I should book my next rental on the German Hertz site? Would my US address in my Gold profile prevent me from using it?
I use it with my swiss adress without any problems
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:07 am

I rented a M3 from RDU later this month. I don't currently see M3 LR available yet, but have there be any experiences with reserving the regular M3 and getting LR instead?
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.