Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
It is not uncommon to see an EV as the cheapest (or only) car offered by Hertz, so there will be questions. This Wikipost is currently focused on rentals in the US.

Hertz policies for recharging:
https://hertz.ltschat.com/terms-conditions/?rentaldate=2024-03-02 (change the date as you see fit)

Return the EV with the same level of battery charge as at the time of pick-up to avoid a fee. If You return the EV with less battery charge than the charge level as at the time of pick-up, You will be charged an EV Battery Recharge fee of $35.00 (non-member) / ($25.00 member).

Furthermore: "Battery charging limit on an EV should be set at 80% maximum."

Tips:
-The second clause basically allows you to pick up a car at 100% and return it at 80%. Hertz does not honor this language. Ignore the 80% bit in the terms. Or be ready to fight about it.
-The $25 "member" rate is discretionary and not hard coded; make sure to ask for it specifically or get it adjusted after the return.
-The % at pick-up is often wrong; you will want to verify it at the gate a couple of times.
-Some on here report a 5% leeway, but this is not in the terms anywhere.
-Hyundai Ioniq or the Kia equivalent will charge 4x as fast via CCS as a Chevrolet.
-The refuel fee is taxable so it will end up being about ~25% more than you might suspect. At 60 cents a kwh (Electrify America) and a $35 refuel fee ($25 + tax), the break even is 58 kwh. If you can pick up a 77 kwh battery Hyundai and run it down to 19 kwh, you should NOT recharge it.

EV types bookable with/carried by Hertz (including internal car classification group code and travel agency ACRISS code) (This list is incomplete.)
Tesla Model 3 - Group E7 - JCAE
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Group E8 - JCAC
Tesla Model Y - Group E9 - RFAC
Polestar 2 - Group C4 - JDAE
Kira Niro EV or Chevy Bolt EUV - Group E1 - IFAC
Kia EV6 - Group L8 - SGAC
Subaru Solterra - Group L7 - SGAE
Volvo C40 - Group C3 - JFAC
Manager's EV Special - Group C6 - XXAE (location's choice of EV)
Manager's Special - Group A6 - XXAR (location's choice of any car, can include EV)
Also carried: Chevy Bolt EV (not reservable but often used as Manager's EV Special?)

Print Wikipost

Renting an Electric Vehicle / EV / Tesla from Hertz

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Doppy
Electric cars always bring out a lot of ideological opposition, "justified" by bizarre edge cases like renting a car during a hurricane evacuation order, which surely is a very small portion of Hertz' business.

Hybrid market share may be decreasing, but fully electric is increasing.

Hertz locations in Manhattan can work a 15 minute charge into the business process without disrupting the entire operation.

Range, battery life, charging speed are increasing, costs will decrease. The trends are well underway, this isn't a wild prediction.
I strongly dislike electric cars.
1) Their life cycle is terrible for the environment.
2) The people who drive them don't understand point #1.
3) Like most car purchases and marketing, driving an electric car is much more about image (perceived wealthy greenness in this case) than anything else.
4) They are inconvenient to use.

Granted these oversized RC go karts can be fun to drive. I will do my best to avoid them at Hertz. I do agree though, for better or worse, the government and private industry is investing trillions in this crap, so I know I will eventually lose. Hertz is making an investment that all signs point to being inevitably good.

The real answer is fuel cells...but simple minded people who decide where to send the big bucks can't understand why they are better.
strickerj, m907 and PanAmSam like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll take all the Teslas if other people take all of the minivans and oversize SUVs that they always try to stick me with.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by m907
The prepaid gas scheme is a ripoff because you have to pay the taxes and fees on the prepaid gas, making it more expensive.
It depends on one's expected circumstances "on return" (as well as how bad the fees and taxes are vis-a-vis the "local" gas prices around the return location vs the gas prices in the area...there's often a bit of a "near-airport" premium, and the gas station across the street from LA Union Station was the only one that I saw crack $5/gallon for regular during one of the prior gas crunches).

Also, I did a "test booking" at a Hertz and saw no difference on the taxes/fees with vs without the FPO.

Originally Posted by Tino
Now we will be able to see the awful economics of electric cars, even after the massive subsidies already given to TSLA and HTZ. Let's see how many Uber drivers pay $334 a week + charging fees + the big bump in insurance for a $42k car that self-destructs upon impact. Maybe some of the green-worshippers on this board will wait another 15 minutes for each trip + pay a premium to ride in one instead of a used Honda Accord, but not me.
I mean, my best guess is that Hertz would likely cut a [relatively] passable deal to drive the business in exchange for longer-term rentals [since guaranteed utilization would do wonders for their bottom line here]. But even $200-250/week isn't likely to work on this front [since that's analogous to $800-1000/month on a lease] unless Uber somehow makes up the difference. And that seems more likely than not to trigger a loss of business, while trying to compel compliance seems likely to just drive their already-diminished driver pool down further.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 15, 2021 at 5:40 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Tino
Now we will be able to see the awful economics of electric cars, even after the massive subsidies already given to TSLA and HTZ. Let's see how many Uber drivers pay $334 a week + charging fees + the big bump in insurance for a $42k car that self-destructs upon impact. Maybe some of the green-worshippers on this board will wait another 15 minutes for each trip + pay a premium to ride in one instead of a used Honda Accord, but not me.
Not to mention being out of service for extended periods while waiting to recharge, missing opportunities because you can't drive as far as the rider requests, etc.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
It depends on one's expected circumstances "on return" (as well as how bad the fees and taxes are vis-a-vis the "local" gas prices around the return location vs the gas prices in the area...there's often a bit of a "near-airport" premium, and the gas station across the street from LA Union Station was the only one that I saw crack $5/gallon for regular during one of the prior gas crunches).

Also, I did a "test booking" at a Hertz and saw no difference on the taxes/fees with vs without the FPO.
The taxes and fees are charged on top of the subtotal amount including prepaid fuel, so you're paying 15-25% extra on the prepaid gas.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 15, 2021 at 5:41 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
I completely forgot about Tesla. That would be kind of cool.
Having Tesla is one thing. But able to find a charger during your trip would be another.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 29, 2021 at 3:43 pm Reason: let's have only one thread discussing Hertz' Tesla program, please
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung
Having Tesla is one thing. But able to find a charger during your trip would be another.
Wonder what the Hertz fee would be for not returning it with a full charge.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Wonder what the Hertz fee would be for not returning it with a full charge.
Will Hertz give you a full charged car anyway? Or better - if you can ever charge completely full on a electric car (Note - it is in theory possible, but not in practice).
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Was just at my local HLE. They've already gotten two chargers installed and are expected to start getting their fleet next week. They also mentioned they were going to be available for uber drivers too. I think most of this may be known by now but it's cool to see it actually happening.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I mean, my best guess is that Hertz would likely cut a [relatively] passable deal to drive the business in exchange for longer-term rentals [since guaranteed utilization would do wonders for their bottom line here]. But even $200-250/week isn't likely to work on this front [since that's analogous to $800-1000/month on a lease] unless Uber somehow makes up the difference. And that seems more likely than not to trigger a loss of business, while trying to compel compliance seems likely to just drive their already-diminished driver pool down further.
The rental for Uber driver use can work to bring in drivers who don't have their own cars, but that is going to be very much market/location-specific and at the end of the day it will be all about what those drivers think they can get out of renting the car at the Uber discount pricing for those hours/days/dates when Hertz would rather get the cars to be used and out rather than sitting idle.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by BThumme
Was just at my local HLE. They've already gotten two chargers installed and are expected to start getting their fleet next week. They also mentioned they were going to be available for uber drivers too. I think most of this may be known by now but it's cool to see it actually happening.
I was checking the supercharger site in NYC and noted the garage with the HLE in it near me is listed; I'm not sure if that was there before the announcement (I don't recall seeing a charger, though). For NYC, all rideshare operators are supposed to be livery drivers and drive vehicles with the commercial plates so at least that won't be an issue (I hope).
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:34 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I usually have barely enough time to top off the gas tank on my way to the airport, who the hell is going to have 30+ min to recharge an electric vehicle? And what are you supposed to do while your waiting. Never going to see these in the 5*/PC section of UC anyway so it’s a non-starter for most of us.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:51 am

These conditions show up when making a (non-EV) booking:

TESLA

These Electric Vehicle Rental Terms (“Rental Terms”) are between The Hertz Corporation (“Hertz” or “us”) and You and apply to a rental of an electric vehicle (“EV”) from Hertz. An EV is defined as a vehicle that exclusively uses battery power rather than gasoline or diesel fuel. These Electric Vehicle Rental Terms are in addition to the Terms and Conditions of the Rental Agreement applicable to your rental.

CHARGE LEVEL AT PICK-UP AND RETURN – Hertz will endeavor to provide the EV at time of vehicle pick-up with a battery charge of 80%. You are required to return the EV with a minimum charge of 10%. You are responsible to maintain a sufficient charge on the EV during your rental. You will be responsible for the cost of any tow if the EV is not drivable due to a low battery. You are not authorized to call a private tow on Hertz’ behalf. All tows of the EV must be by flatbed and must be arranged through Hertz Emergency Roadside Assistance.

RANGE – Range is the estimated distance an EV can travel on a single charge. The EV information provided with your reservation that describes a range is not guaranteed. The battery life of the EV is impacted by a number of factors including weather, driving and road conditions. It is your responsibility to ensure the EV has sufficient remaining battery life to return the EV to Hertz or reach an EV charging station.

CHARGING DURING RENTAL – Subject to Tesla’s terms and conditions, Tesla EV’s are able to access Tesla Superchargers to recharge the EV. If You use a Tesla Supercharger to recharge the EV during your rental, that cost will be billed back to Hertz and added to your rental charges. These charges may not appear on the final invoice and may be added later due to processing time. Battery charging limit on a Tesla should be set at 90% maximum. You may recharge the EV at other public or private charging locations at your own cost. You may also have to register and incur a fee at certain of these locations. You are responsible for any registration (including accepting terms and conditions and privacy policy) and any fees. If You do not move the EV promptly from the charging stall when it is finished charging You may incur an Idle fee for the time the EV remains in a charging stall after it is finished charging. You are responsible for and will indemnify Hertz for any Idle or similar fee incurred when the EV is on rent to You.

DAMAGE TO CHARGING STATIONS – You are responsible for any damage to the EV, the charging station equipment or the charging location when charging the EV during your rental. You will indemnify Hertz for any charges, fines, or penalties You incur for any damage or loss to the EV, the charging station or location during your rental.

EQUIPMENT – The EV will be provided to You with certain equipment for which You are responsible. You are responsible to notify Hertz if any of the following equipment is not with the EV at the time of pick up. Otherwise, You will be charged for any missing equipment at return. Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) does not apply to damage or loss of the equipment provided with the EV. Key card or fob – You are responsible to return the Key card or Key fob upon your rental return. If the Key card or fob is damaged or lost, You will be charged to replace the Key Card or fob and a service fee. The Key card or Key fob must only be used to charge the EV You have rented. Sharing the Key card or Key fob, using additional Key cards or Key fobs to charge the EV, or charging other vehicles is prohibited. Any misuse of the Key card or Key fob in breach of these Rental Terms will result in additional usage charges.

Tesla Charging Kit – The Tesla Charging Kit consists of 1 Mobile Connector; 1 Storage Bag; and 1 NEMA 5-15 Adapter. You are responsible to return all contents of the Charging Kit upon your rental return. If the Charging Kit, or any part of the contents are damaged or lost, You will be charged for a complete Charging Kit, as these items are not available to be replaced individually, and a service fee.

J1772 Adapter – You are responsible to return the J1772 Adapter on your rental return. If this Adapter is damaged or lost, You will be charged to replace the Adapter and a service fee.

DASH CAM AND PERSONAL DATA – The EV may be equipped with a Dash Cam which may record incidents involving the EV during your rental and privacy is not guaranteed. You are responsible at return to delete all personal data input by You or collected by the EV during your rental.
Auto Enthusiast, BThumme and m907 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
These conditions show up when making a (non-EV) booking:
Interesting. So you won't have to return it full, but charging while on the road is almost as expensive as gas.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hertz's terms seem great - you'll get a car with >80% and just need to return it with >10% - even easier than returning a gas car.

It's really not that hard in most places to find a charger on the road or a hotel that provides free charging with parking. You can get 200 miles of range in 15 minutes.

Even on a long road trip, stopping every ~3 hours for coffee and a bathroom break is pretty reasonable.

Lastly, with Hertz locations getting Tesla chargers installed, there's no reason to fear that "cars will be out of service for days to recharge." It will take 15-45 minutes to charge a car, depending on the charge it comes in with. Very few locations turn cars around in under an hour; and there's no reason they can't charge in parallel with cleaning the inside of the cars.

Originally Posted by m907
Interesting. So you won't have to return it full, but charging while on the road is almost as expensive as gas.
But you get it from Hertz >80% and return it >10% so the first 250+ miles are free. Even if it costs twice as much as gas to fill up, you'd have to drive 500 miles for it to make a difference. And if you plan your trip right, there are plenty of free charging options.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by Doppy; Nov 1, 2021 at 1:16 pm
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Will these US Tesla rentals be “unlimited miles included” or will Hertz try to stick them with say a 200-250 mile daily limit and a per mile surcharge beyond the “included miles”?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.