Wiki Posts
Search

Pay Later No Show Cancellation Fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P
Pay Later No Show Cancellation Fee

Hi all, if I reserve a car at the "pay later" rate and has a no show, will I be charged cancellation fees? The rental location is Hawaii and Seattle. Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by kgkg
Hi all, if I reserve a car at the "pay later" rate and has a no show, will I be charged cancellation fees? The rental location is Hawaii and Seattle. Thanks!
No. None of the rental companies, as far as I'm aware, charge a fee on a pay later reservation. You should cancel as a courtesy if you won't be using it, but you won't be charged.
kgkg and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:00 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The answer is usually no, but there are two exceptions:

1. Some pay later rates require you to enter your credit card at the time of booking, even though they don't charge you up-front. This is pay later but with a credit card guarantee. If you have to give your credit card, then read the terms and conditions carefully. A number of the small deep-discount brands do this, however, there are ways around it.

2. If you enter your loyalty number with the rental company (Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald Club, etc.) then the credit card company often has your credit card number on file. It is possible for them to charge you for a no-show. It's very rare but we've seen it happen--especially in the NYC area with larger vehicles (think Fullsize SUVs and Minivans) and especially over holidays when demand is high.

If you don't have to give your credit card at the time of booking, and you don't enter your loyalty member number, then there is simply no way to charge you, so you needn't worry. Hope this helps!
kgkg, Ordpc, bbbb and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! I am booking on Hertz website. It not only asks for my Hertz Gold number, but also asks for my credit number.

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The answer is usually no, but there are two exceptions:

1. Some pay later rates require you to enter your credit card at the time of booking, even though they don't charge you up-front. This is pay later but with a credit card guarantee. If you have to give your credit card, then read the terms and conditions carefully. A number of the small deep-discount brands do this, however, there are ways around it.

2. If you enter your loyalty number with the rental company (Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald Club, etc.) then the credit card company often has your credit card number on file. It is possible for them to charge you for a no-show. It's very rare but we've seen it happen--especially in the NYC area with larger vehicles (think Fullsize SUVs and Minivans) and especially over holidays when demand is high.

If you don't have to give your credit card at the time of booking, and you don't enter your loyalty member number, then there is simply no way to charge you, so you needn't worry. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thank you! I am booking on Hertz website. It not only asks for my Hertz Gold number, but also asks for my credit number.
As with all travel, you should always read the terms & conditions to assure yourself that there is no penalty or other oddity to your booking.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
As with all travel, you should always read the terms & conditions to assure yourself that there is no penalty or other oddity to your booking.
All it says on the confirmation email is that "Cancellation or no-show reservation penalties may apply", and nothing else was mentioned with regards to cancellation fees. I do not know what the actual amount of cancellation fee is.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Wow, I've never heard of that. You would think they would be glad to be able to rent out cars in high demand periods for expensive last minute reservations. Do the terms and conditions give them the authority to do that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.