Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre Pricing at OGG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Had similar issue last year at another location. Kept original reservation and just returned a day late. Just made sure i check to see what the per day rate was (it is on contact.)
Didn't have to change anything and got the extra day at the cheap rat.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by KevinMD
I have done a lot of weekly rentals so I will throw in my 2 cents. If you ask at the desk to add the 14th day, it will likely reprice the whole rental. The best bet would be to just pick up the original reservation and attempt to extend it a day. You can do it online and it will show you the amount for the 14th day.
When do you attempt to extend it? Immediately after pick-up, or in middle of the reservation (keep checking daily), or wait until near the end?

Originally Posted by rthib
Had similar issue last year at another location. Kept original reservation and just returned a day late. Just made sure i check to see what the per day rate was (it is on contact.)
Didn't have to change anything and got the extra day at the cheap rat.
Did you notify them you were keeping it a day longer (isn't that required by contract to avoid incurring more fees)?
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
When do you attempt to extend it? Immediately after pick-up, or in middle of the reservation (keep checking daily), or wait until near the end?
I would log on to the website when I had a chance and see what it says. If you can extend it then, than it is one less thing to worry about it.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems that the OP has made bookings which take away any risk, doubt or uncertainty. There have been threads before where someone has returned at a time other than booked and had unexpected charges. Why take such risk when a risk free option is booked
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It seems that the OP has made bookings which take away any risk, doubt or uncertainty. There have been threads before where someone has returned at a time other than booked and had unexpected charges. Why take such risk when a risk free option is booked
Correct. And any other combination of bookings now are actually much more than my two one week rentals. Returning mid trip is not terrible. We will plan to explore that day.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Did you notify them you were keeping it a day longer (isn't that required by contract to avoid incurring more fees)?
When I called in the past it would tell me that if I were keeping for a day, there was no need since it included that fee already in the contract.
Now it mentions you can do it online at www.hertz.com/rentalextension so they may have changed?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Fall Rental Pricing on Maui (OGG)

Wondering if folks looking for a car in Maui in the fall have had any luck in reasonable pricing.

I’m looking for a 5 day rental in Maui - around 10-15 November. It’s pricing a midsize at $1200+ (Weekly rate). Is that about the norm now?

I know of the shortage, etc., though I thought I had seen that most places were expecting to have better availability/pricing in the fall. I also thought, though maybe I’m wrong, that this was still mostly off-season (as much as there is one) in Hawaii until closer to Thanksgiving - though maybe with everything different this year, so are the travel seasons.

Any thoughts on to the possibility of the rate coming down. I do wonder if this is a wise use of points though - looks like 2200 points would get me 3 days and ~$700 off the rate.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:25 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Prices are still very high now, and LIH is booked solid, but we've seen some variability in HNL, OGG, and KOA/ITO. We expect prices to soften in the coming months. We'd recommend booking the best pay-later deal you can right now just to hedge your bets, and then track it with us for lower rates. We think rates will start coming down after Labor Day, if not a bit sooner.
FlyinHawaiian, Ordpc and TXJeepGuy like this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 29, 2021 at 9:55 am
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
If you are going on the trip regardless, you should definitely book a pay-later rate now and track for future drops. While I think I agree that prices may be more likely to fall than rise, we have seen so much crazy stuff with the rental car market over the last 6 months that I wouldn't want to risk capacity evaporating and being stuck with nothing.

Finally, if you have a corporate discount plan you should check with that. I had very little luck with corporate rates this summer but was able to secure a rental at OGG in November for $180/week, which is way below current "market".
Old Jun 30, 2021, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
If you are going on the trip regardless, you should definitely book a pay-later rate now and track for future drops. While I think I agree that prices may be more likely to fall than rise, we have seen so much crazy stuff with the rental car market over the last 6 months that I wouldn't want to risk capacity evaporating and being stuck with nothing.

Finally, if you have a corporate discount plan you should check with that. I had very little luck with corporate rates this summer but was able to secure a rental at OGG in November for $180/week, which is way below current "market".
Wow - I'd take $180 a week (or $500 a week at this point, honestly) if I could get it. No corporate rate I can access - I typically am able to use AAA rates/codes, but there's nothing out there right now.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Wow - I'd take $180 a week (or $500 a week at this point, honestly) if I could get it. No corporate rate I can access - I typically am able to use AAA rates/codes, but there's nothing out there right now.
check National. I booked a week at OGG for $480 just yesterday.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCtoLA
check National. I booked a week at OGG for $480 just yesterday.

And Hertz still somehow wins. They have cars. Just checked National (with my Infinite rate through Chase CSR, and then in case, without), and National claims they don't have any cars. In fact, checked multiple dates in Oct/Nov, and can't find a rental for any of them. I figured by November at least there would be some cars available!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 9:40 pm

I’d echo the advice of booking a pay later rate and monitoring. We’re in Maui just now - when we first started looking for rental cars back in April, there was nothing available with anyone. Then Avis dropped in availability (full size on corp rates at $157 for 3 days). And then Hertz came to the party a couple of weeks back - ended up being able to book a full size one way (picked up at the Hyatt, dropping at OGG) for $133 for 3 days. Got allocated a nice Cadillac XT5 with 11,500 miles on the clock, one of the lower mileage cars I’ve had from Hertz this year.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
I’d echo the advice of booking a pay later rate and monitoring. We’re in Maui just now - when we first started looking for rental cars back in April, there was nothing available with anyone. Then Avis dropped in availability (full size on corp rates at $157 for 3 days). And then Hertz came to the party a couple of weeks back - ended up being able to book a full size one way (picked up at the Hyatt, dropping at OGG) for $133 for 3 days. Got allocated a nice Cadillac XT5 with 11,500 miles on the clock, one of the lower mileage cars I’ve had from Hertz this year.
Appreciate the report.

Actually had thought of taking a shuttle to the hotel (Lahaina) and just getting a car at the Hyatt and dropping at OGG, but price was still >$1000 with the drop fee, at least when I looked last. When adding the inconvenience factor (evening arrival, with 2 kids), the minimal savings don't make sense.

I'm gonna keep checking, but also a little concerned about why National/Avis showing no availability, but Hertz is. A bit worried about National/Avis being over-cautious to ensure they have a car for everyone with a reservation, and Hertz doing the opposite, and not having a car when I show up!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:22 pm

Has anyone used their corporate(for personal travel) CDP in HI (ogg)? I'm booking it and it is a significant discount and I worry about the rate being honored when I get there. It would quickly put the trip out of my budget if it was not honored

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 22, 2021 at 2:36 pm Reason: Moved from other thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.