Update credit card w/o losing Gold desk?

Old Jan 12, 21, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Update credit card w/o losing Gold desk?

For the second time this year, I've had to update the card on my Hertz profile when the old number has been compromised.

This normally means that Gold service doesn't work on the next rental, and a trip to the desk is required. This isn't normally that big of a deal, but with low staffing and longer lines - it was a headache the last time it happened.

I've got a rental coming up next week, and, once again, I had to use a new card. It's the same issuer and account, just a fresh card number. Is there any way Hertz can enable Gold prior to the rental, without arriving into a line of people?
Old Jan 12, 21, 2:40 pm
formerly damnyourefine

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
I had to update my on file card due to it being compromised and it did not affect my upcoming reservations - still showed and received Gold service (PC member).
Old Jan 12, 21, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anteater View Post
I had to update my on file card due to it being compromised and it did not affect my upcoming reservations - still showed and received Gold service (PC member).
Hmm.. I've had to update my card several times over the years, and each time I've had to go to the desk on the following rental.

Do you recall if you only had to update the expiration date, or the number as well? Or maybe a difference if you do it online (as I did), or over the phone?
Old Jan 12, 21, 3:02 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Presguy View Post
Hmm.. I've had to update my card several times over the years, and each time I've had to go to the desk on the following rental.

Do you recall if you only had to update the expiration date, or the number as well? Or maybe a difference if you do it online (as I did), or over the phone?
I would also bet you can just get in your PC Zone car and drive to the exit and have them do it there. Iíve had them pre-auth on a different card before at the exit.
Old Jan 12, 21, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jim32190 View Post
I would also bet you can just get in your PC Zone car and drive to the exit and have them do it there. Iíve had them pre-auth on a different card before at the exit.
That's actually what prompted the frustration last time - I was on the board, got in the car, arrived at gate. Said they couldn't do it there.

Had to wave back teh cars behind me, drive back, repark, wait in line for 30 min, then leave again.
anteater likes this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 3:25 pm
formerly damnyourefine

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Originally Posted by Presguy View Post

I did it at the end of 2020, could not find out how to do it in the app so I did it on the website.

I had to remove the entire card and re-add it because the website would not let me modify the card number.

Hertz IT was never great, so maybe itís just that. You can always call the PC desk and ask for them to update your reservations or investigate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: