Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of app upgrade offers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Beware of app upgrade offers

I booked a car for $99 using cars.united.com (UA link). I’ve found some great prices booking through UA. I opened the Hertz app to double check the reservation before picking up tomorrow. A pop up asked if I wanted to upgrade to full size suv for a TOTAL of $2.97. Normally I wouldn’t have since I’m PC and it’s an ultimate choice location. However, since Covid the PC, gold and 5 star areas at this location have been virtually empty. I accepted the offer and my booking was immediately repriced to $299 lol. I called the PC line and got the Filipino call center. Csr checked with supervisor. “So sorry. These things happens sometimes. We can’t fix it.” I rebooked same car for $20 more and cancelled the $299 booking. It’s not worth any more time or aggravation. Just passing along my experience so others will think twice before accepting an app upgrade. I wish I knew how to contact someone at Hertz who was empowered to actually help.
sokolov and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:45 am

Thanks for this post! I was looking at my reservations last night and had the pop-up appear. In December I have a 3 day Intermediate (C) rental at IAH for $55 all-in and the app had a pop-up asking if I wanted to upgrade to a Premium (G) for $71 total all-in. Seemed like it was pretty sketchy as the cheapest car for my time frame now is $75/day so I passed.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by BigJC
Thanks for this post! I was looking at my reservations last night and had the pop-up appear. In December I have a 3 day Intermediate (C) rental at IAH for $55 all-in and the app had a pop-up asking if I wanted to upgrade to a Premium (G) for $71 total all-in. Seemed like it was pretty sketchy as the cheapest car for my time frame now is $75/day so I passed.
Are these for normal pay at return rentals?
If so, why not take copious screenshots, accept the upgrade offer, and prepare to win a fun argument at the counter?
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
The upgrade offer may be accurate and recalculate correctly if the original booking was done directly with Hertz. Then again it may not. My assumption is the coders didn’t bother to check the source of the original booking or the price before displaying the Pop up. I think they’ve based it on the car class booked vs the listed price of the upgraded class. At this point I wouldn’t trust it at all and I won’t click yes again. Lesson learned. Btw Austin had plenty of choices in PC and gold this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.