Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rate changing upon login

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Rate changing upon login

I'm trying to make a reservation for SEA in a couple weeks. I'm well familiar with the.. eccentricities... of Hertz's site, but I'm running in to something I haven't seen before.

Logged out, I'm seeing one price for the rental. The moment I log in, the price goes up by about 25%. Same CDP (and same discrepacy if I try without a CDP). Tried a VPN, incognito, etc - keeps doing the same thing.

What's the best workaround? Should I try booking over the phone? Book while logged out, then call and have them link it to my Hertz membership?
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:01 pm

Usually these type of things are caused by people having saved preferences in their profile, e.g. CDW.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missingcolours
Usually these type of things are caused by people having saved preferences in their profile, e.g. CDW.
Yeah, I've run in to that before, but can't seem to remedy it this time. There is one CDW in my profile - adding or removing it - either logged in, or logged out, and I'm still seeing the same thing.

Last edited by Presguy; Sep 5, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Old Sep 5, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's generally not CDP that's the issue, but CDW and other overages.

Log into your account and go to My Profile, then under "Vehicle Preferences" make sure that you have everything set to "Declined" under the US heading. If you have any of these enabled then when logged in it'll give you a rate containing what you've got enabled, which will generally be higher than the rate otherwise - although it will depend on which countries website you're using to book.

The other thing that can cause rate changes is a change in the country setting on the website. Whenever you login you'll be bumped to the website for the country you're from (based on your profile) which can change rate, as well as changing inclusions. For example, if I'm on the Hertz Australia site I'll get one rate. If I then login I'll be bounced over to the Hertz US site as that's the address I have in my profile, and then I'll get a different rate.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Quick followup -

I ended up making the reservation on the phone with Hertz - and got quoted a third rate. Closer to the "not logged in" price than the "logged in price". Since the difference was only $20, and I had already sunk a bunch of time into it, I booked that way.

I also see how I misread the comments above - CDP vs CDW, though that doesn't seem to have been the case here. I have essentially evertying (CDW, Fuel prepurchase, XM, etc) declined in my profile, and likewise declined all the same services when I attempted the not-logged-in reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.