Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Lawsuit filed against Hertz for wrongful charges of car theft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lawsuit filed against Hertz for wrongful charges of car theft

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
The attorney handling many of these cases was interviewed today on Michael Smerconish's morning program on POTUS channel (Sirius XM). It was posted on his YouTube as well.

Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
There was a similar older thread also related to the lawsuit for wrongful car thefts, which I went ahead and merged.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by mysterym
Crazy how many cases are popping up, almost daily as another poster mentioned. Absolutely disgusting how Hertz handles things. Hertz's apparent incompetence should NEVER have someone's freedom taken away. I can understand blatant theft but putting Presidents Circle members in jail who regularly rent and spend money with them instead of taking extraordinary steps to resolve whatever the issue is disgusting IMO.

Also, reminds me of funny business I've seen when I have returned rentals. For example: 'After hours' return, processed two days later at a location far away

which either highlighted a process flaw, some funny business with someone else using the vehicle in the interim, or incompetence. I even recall an incident long ago where I returned a vehicle by leaving it in the return line, Hertz contacted me days later asking when I was returning the vehicle, I stated I already returned it, they could not find it, I had to escalate, eventually it was found, and someone had moved it and parked it in a corner of their own lot. It was from that point forward that I always made sure to have a human check in the vehicle, even if it meant waiting a while. I can't imagine being arrested for something like this. Just reading about it makes my blood boil.
This is a huge bummer because I've been getting rates at Hertz at half of National. But any time spent dealing with administrative BS would make it much more worthwhile to just pay twice as much and go with National.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Boraxo
As Gleff has noted this seems to mostly affect people who extend rentals or who change cars as these are not always properly updated in the system.

Outside of these cases I have not heard of this happening when people get an actual receipt. So I would insist on getting the paper receipt from Hertz when you return and maybe photo it. And now maybe also take a photo of the vehicle with the hertz sign in the background.

At this point it is not clear that anything you do can provide 100% guarantee against false arrest. But having evidence on your phone and offering to LEO is a good start.
An arrest on a valid warrant signed by a judge isn't false arrest, and a police officer in the field isn't going to look at evidence/try the case. You're going to get arrested, booked, and be required to post bond (bail) to get released.

You'll have a field day later with the civil suit against Hertz, but that won't fix any of the immediate problems getting arrested on a warrant will cause.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
How does one prevent this? Does all complaints of car theft result in automatic arrest of the suspect? Could this be a tactic to have your enemy arrested?

Is Hertz required to contact you first before asking for your arrest? I think probably not.
It seems like a lot of the reports claim that Hertz made multiple attempts to contact the renter. But that could just be Hertz lying trying to cover their mistake. It also seems to happen mostly when people try to extend their rental.

This is minor, but Hertz almost always charges me toll fees in Florida even though we always use the cash lane. The credit card company has always removed it after I question it.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The last high profile case is a consequence of no-show to a court case, not a rental; albeit a court case initiated by a rental.

Generally I don't leave the lot without a rental agreement and return the vehicle during hours with staff. The rentals could be easier on me if I didn't pursue the paperwork diligently but the goal is to limit the risk. Extending rentals is problematic and confirming the extension online is a good idea.

One state or another sent me 5 bills for unpaid tolls over the past few years. None of the bills were legitimate but I pursued the issue nonetheless. Failure to pursue the issue could result in the same scenario as note.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The last high profile case is a consequence of no-show to a court case, not a rental; albeit a court case initiated by a rental.
Define “last high profile” - I see new ones all the time.

Here is one that is really weird.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-r...tomers-public/

The person who was arrested reportedly wasn’t in the state where the car theft was reported and had never rented from Hertz. Weird.

Apparently Hertz reports around 3500 vehicles stolen each year.

My wife isn’t a frequent renter (when we travel together, the rentals are in my name), but a recent solo trip had her pick up a Hertz car I booked for her. She had seen these stories several times on the news, and upon return she declined to leave the contract with the agent so it could be checked in later (never understood why they want the contract back, it’s my copy) and insisted on a printed receipt.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
An arrest on a valid warrant signed by a judge isn't false arrest, and a police officer in the field isn't going to look at evidence/try the case. You're going to get arrested, booked, and be required to post bond (bail) to get released.
A human employed by Hertz presumably filed a police report that resulted in the valid warrant. It would be nice if every such judge and DA, mislead by Hertz, would hold the employee responsible for filing a false police report.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

You'll have a field day later with the civil suit against Hertz, but that won't fix any of the immediate problems getting arrested on a warrant will cause.
Unless, of course, the arrest is based on information they know is false. As it appears to have been with Hertz repeatedly.

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
It seems like a lot of the reports claim that Hertz made multiple attempts to contact the renter. But that could just be Hertz lying trying to cover their mistake. It also seems to happen mostly when people try to extend their rental.
Hertz appears to be outright lying constantly.

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Not really. The guy out of Arizona who was arrested by CBP thugs had filed paperwork to have his attorney appear for him. I'm shocked prosecutors are taking these to grand juries - that should be misconduct.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Looks like the problem continues. Story below is from this past Thursday.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ve-re...ycsrp_catchall

We're moving Hertz to our "do not do business with" list.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by N1120A
Unless, of course, the arrest is based on information they know is false. As it appears to have been with Hertz repeatedly..
There's no way for an officer in the field to know that. All the proof in the world you have in your hands doesn't invalidate a warrant, which is essentially a judge's order to arrest someone, and let the judge weight the evidence.
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
There's no way for an officer in the field to know that. All the proof in the world you have in your hands doesn't invalidate a warrant, which is essentially a judge's order to arrest someone, and let the judge weight the evidence.
Exactly. The critical problem here is that judges are issuing arrest warrants for individuals, presumably based solely on the testimony or affidavits of sworn law enforcement, who in turn rely on fabricated stolen vehicle reports filed by Hertz.

The easy solution is for law enforcement to refuse to seek arrest warrants based on any info they receive from Hertz. Or for a nationwide injunction precluding Hertz from filing any stolen vehicle reports until they have demonstrated their system is fixed. Unfortunately it does not appear that any attorneys have sought this remedy, instead focusing either on defending individuals who were arrests or filing lucrative class actions. Neither will stop the false arrests from continuing.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Is there a way to check that there is no fake arrest warrant out there? Regardless, we should publicize this more and write to them on social media and tell them we'll never rent from them again unless they change their practices.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:12 am

As one of the best ways to deviate from the truth is to only let one party talk and silence the other party, to show more facts on this topic it’s crucially necessary to see what Hertz says:

“Hertz cares deeply about our customers, and we successfully provide rental vehicles for tens of millions of travelers each year. Unfortunately, in the legal matters being discussed, the attorneys have a track record of making baseless claims that blatantly misrepresent the facts. The vast majority of these cases involve renters who were many weeks or even months overdue returning vehicles and who stopped communicating with us well beyond the scheduled due date. Situations where vehicles are reported to the authorities are very rare and happen only after exhaustive attempts to reach the customer. “

So just as expected-most of the cases were customers keeping their cars for as long as they wanted and not allowing hertz to authorize new amount and to make things even worse for themselves, ghosting hertz too. No wonder why you were reported to the police. Why not?

Also, Hertz on average filed 3365 vehicle stolen reports a year - considering their fleet size is only 300k in the US as of now, that’s more than 1 in 100 got stolen every year. If you run a company and do nothing with this ridiculous number, for example, not contacting the law enforcement to get your cars back, you should be fired immediately.

Among 3365 cases every year, and that’s from 2014, which is 8 whole years from now and that resulted in nearly 27k total reports, only 230 were considered as ‘false’, and the majority of these ‘false reports’ was because of customers kept the car well after the due date and ghosted hertz.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hertz has consistently lied to the public and in court filings. Why would anyone believe them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.