Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Penalty for late return of a monthly rental (one extra day)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

If a rental is returned 1 day late without notice, do they charge extra penalties in addition to the extra day charge? It’s a monthly long rental and can’t be extended online
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:06 am

Normally I’d say no, but a month is often the longest you can rent a vehicle for without going into a completely different rental category (long term bespoke rental agreements). So I am always very careful not to keep rentals for longer than a month. If you do keep it for a month and a day, I’d be very interested in what they actually charge you!
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did Hertz say when you called to ask? This is the definitive answer.

Hertz, as part of its Chapter 11 proceedings, is selling off significant parts of its inventory and your vehicle may have been sold effective the day after its scheduled return. If so, it's a big deal. If not, it's not a big deal.

In some countries, states & provinces, this is a big deal. In others it isn't.

But, the one thing you don't want to do is leave it to chance. It only takes that one employee who is not you best friend....
TXJeepGuy and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:12 am

Hertz YYZ toyed with a ~30 CAD late fee for a little while earlier this year and it was dropped as quietly as it was introduced a few weeks later.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Nothing happens, i have brought them back after 50 days - all they do is wait 4-5 days and call you, make sure everything is OK. Ask for you to return the car, threaten to come get it. I informed them it is guarded by men with automatic weapons (at the place I work) and they said just bring it back when you can. This is a very normal occurrence for me. They don't bat an eye when i return and I have never been charged any type of "Fee" either in the US, Canada or Europe (I don't drive in Asia or Mexico)

The extend feature in the app has worked for me 1 out of 6 times so far. I pretty much just pick the car rental times for 30 days and not worry about it.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Nothing happens, i have brought them back after 50 days - all they do is wait 4-5 days and call you, make sure everything is OK. Ask for you to return the car, threaten to come get it. I informed them it is guarded by men with automatic weapons (at the place I work) and they said just bring it back when you can. This is a very normal occurrence for me. They don't bat an eye when i return and I have never been charged any type of "Fee" either in the US, Canada or Europe (I don't drive in Asia or Mexico)

The extend feature in the app has worked for me 1 out of 6 times so far. I pretty much just pick the car rental times for 30 days and not worry about it.
Programs checks out
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by spanishflea
Normally I’d say no, but a month is often the longest you can rent a vehicle for without going into a completely different rental category (long term bespoke rental agreements). So I am always very careful not to keep rentals for longer than a month. If you do keep it for a month and a day, I’d be very interested in what they actually charge you!
Two months, not one month. I know. I am currently on a two month rental.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spanishflea
ive actually kept cars for 31 days often, I think it doesn’t go into multi month contract unless it’s 2 months or longer. Even that it can still be converted back to normal rentals I think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.