Downgrade? In Germany

Old Jul 24, 20, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Gold, Marriott: Gold, IHG: Spire Ambassador
Downgrade? In Germany

I booked a Premium X6 category car (Volvo XC60 or similar) and have been given a group C11 car (VW T-ROC). I Am a Gold Plus member.
I called up and was told these are equal as the T-ROC comes from Denmark so has a different category to the German cars. Does this sound right? Seems a T-ROC is a downgrade on a Volvo XC60.
Old Jul 25, 20, 5:40 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
T-ROC is not in the German fleet but I would say it fits below the Tiguan in the range, which is a JGAR "premium medium SUV," the same as an X1. If there were any in the German fleet, it'd probably be in a group below - either a nice compact, the small SUV in with the Open Crossland X (it's much better than that) or classed in the G "priced like a midsize sedan, so we'll pretend it is one" bucket. There is zero chance it's equivalent to a group X premium standard SUV.

In Denmark, the XC60 is a group X, too. A T-ROC would be a C1 (Hyundai i30 or similar) or, possibly, a group K. But C is a standard designation for a "compact." I'd be extremely happy to get one of those on a compact reservation, even if it's not a formal upgrade - but there is no way I'd accept that it's not a downgrade from a premium SUV.
Old Jul 27, 20, 5:34 am

Programs: Hertz - Presidents Circle; Delta Skymiles - platinum medallion
T-Roc is definitely a downgrade, even by Danish standards (Denmark has the most ridiculous taxes in cars in the whole Europe)
The best way out is to try swapping it at another airport in Germany for the car class you reserved.

or even better, something worthy of autobahn experience, not a boring SUV from Volvo

the sad truth is that Hertz has to drastically downsize its fleet. In Europe their business model has an option of early termination on all leases, so it is easy to implement.

For example, from the diverse fleet at Amsterdam Schiphol airport gone are the 4-series BMW’s and the Range Rovers. For some reason they kept a couple of huge and boring Volvo’s. On a bright side, their full size group now features BMW 330e hybrids with full options
Old Jul 28, 20, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I tried at a downtown location to get a swap but they had nothing. Called the airport and they said also they had nothing.
Will speak to them on my return today about some compensation.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 8:57 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Downgraded from Mercedes V Class to Peugeot Traveller.

We reserved a Premium Van in Germany. All of the advertising on the Hertz website was for a Mercedes V Class (or similar).
The Mercedes V Class is a 45,000 to 65,000 Euro vehicle, depending on how it is equipped, and is really a luxury van.

So we arrived to pickup our vehicle and they substituted a Peugeot Traveller. They claimed it is a similar class and is also "Premium".
This Peugeot van is very plastic heavy on the interior and everything I can find online indicates that it is a 30,000 to 40,000 Euro vehicle, depending on how it is equipped.

I paid for a 3 week rental with a Premium Van and got this plastic cheap substitute that is definitely NOT a Mercedes quality premium van.
Very ticked off about the situation and considering disputing the final bill.
I don't care what they classify as "similar class". Vehicles that are 20%+ difference in price are not a similar class.
Old Jul 30, 20, 10:13 am

"Very ticked off about the situation and considering disputing the final bill."
My experience is that as soon as you've driven away with the alternative vehicle your negotiating power to dispute the charge is almost nil. Also be aware that the Mercedes comes in lots of trim levels, from luxurious to very basic and "plasticky". I know because I ended up with a basic and plastiky one recently - it was pretty unpleasant.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rcspeirs View Post
"Very ticked off about the situation and considering disputing the final bill."
My experience is that as soon as you've driven away with the alternative vehicle your negotiating power to dispute the charge is almost nil. Also be aware that the Mercedes comes in lots of trim levels, from luxurious to very basic and "plasticky". I know because I ended up with a basic and plastiky one recently - it was pretty unpleasant.
There are many ways to increase your "negotiating power" after the fact.
Old Jul 30, 20, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom View Post
There are many ways to increase your "negotiating power" after the fact.
Any particular suggestions?
Old Jul 30, 20, 3:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom View Post
We reserved a Premium Van in Germany. All of the advertising on the Hertz website was for a Mercedes V Class (or similar).
The Mercedes V Class is a 45,000 to 65,000 Euro vehicle, depending on how it is equipped, and is really a luxury van.

So we arrived to pickup our vehicle and they substituted a Peugeot Traveller. They claimed it is a similar class and is also "Premium".
This Peugeot van is very plastic heavy on the interior and everything I can find online indicates that it is a 30,000 to 40,000 Euro vehicle, depending on how it is equipped.

I paid for a 3 week rental with a Premium Van and got this plastic cheap substitute that is definitely NOT a Mercedes quality premium van.
Very ticked off about the situation and considering disputing the final bill.
I don't care what they classify as "similar class". Vehicles that are 20%+ difference in price are not a similar class.
What class does your key say? That is the best way to determine what class you actually received. If it's not on the key, it's definitely on the paperwork. I'm sure you are aware, you are not guaranteed the listed model. You may get a vehicle of similar size and model...so a large minivan, which you got. V-class and Traveller seat 8 individuals and the Vito can seat 9.

If you were expecting the Mercedes Van to be luxury as a rental, I believe you would be disappointed if they gave you the Mercedes van as well.

Also, a Mercedes V is a Full-size van, not a premium van. Oddly, the premium van is a Mercedes Vito.

Also, price doesn't have anything to do with how a vehicle is classed. But to continue down that route...
The Mercedes V (Fullsize Van) starts at 37.032,27 € and tops out at 93.453,08 €
The Mercedes Vito (Premium Van) starts at 22.028,40 € (cargo van) and tops out at 65.007,56 €
The Peugeot Traveller starts at £36,930.00 (40800.26 €) and tops out at £49,950.0 (55184.76 €)

Next time, reserve the Fullsize and maybe you'll end up with the V-class.

Anyway, who cares what vehicle you received? A vehicle should in no way affect your vacation.

And, as stated above, if the class of the van matches (or is higher than) the class you reserved, you have no legitimacy behind a complaint.

Enjoy your holiday!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: