President's circle and NYC

Old Jun 15, 20, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
NYC question

Hi all,
Pretty noob here with Hertz so apologies for asking the basics, I did look up some of the threads on what to get but my question has multiple parts to it, and I have no experience with Hertz.
Looking to book a car for 1 week (6/30-7/6), I'm PC (Delta DM), and have a good corporate rate ($386) for a Full-Size, pick-up in Manhattan (most convenient by far vs. LGA/JFK)
- what is my best strategy if I want to get to a large SUV or a prestige car without booking full price up front (that's out of my budget, and I want to utilize my PC and Corporate rate); I'm willing to pay extra for the upgrade on the day of but not full price
- should I consider LGA/JFK to enhance my upgrade options?
- can I switch locations within Manhattan after reservation to optimize my upgrade options?

To give an example; I booked a medium with National last week and got a Range Rover for $52/day extra; I'm trying to sort out if I should go back to them or give Hertz a try for this one given Hertz is cheaper on the corporate rate.

Thanks a ton in advance!
Old Jun 15, 20, 12:31 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

If you reserved a fullsize car, you will likely get a full-size car. If they are feeling generous they might give you a premium car or maybe a standard SUV or similar. There is no ultimate choice like there is at the major NYC airports. Upgrades are somewhat discretionary, and doubly so on a holiday week like that.

The likelihood of you getting a large SUV or something higher than a premium car on a cheap FCAR rate is extremely small. You'll definitely have better luck at one of the area airports, but even then, it really depends on how you hit it. You can always sit around for a while and wait for them to stock something decent in the PC section, or ask politely, but it's still very much a YMMV situation.

Your chances of success are definitely better at the area airports than in Manhattan. As to which airport, again, it depends on the situation. Very hard to predict.

All of the above is based on a free upgrade. If you are willing to pay an upgrade fee, your chances go up significantly. Hertz is desperate for money, so an extra $52/day extra would probably go a long way. Keep in mind though that vehicle inventory in Manhattan is typically much less than at the airport, so even then, you'll have better luck (i.e. more selection) at the area airports.
Auto Enthusiast and mayhem like this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
Thanks - definitely willing to pay that $50 bucks a day for a premium vehicle. Will think about whether or not that's worth the trip to JFK, I assume JFK will always be better than LGA.
Old Jun 16, 20, 1:43 am

Remember that Hertz is in bankruptcy so options are going to be limited and upgrades will not be doled out to the extent they used to be.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Will think about whether or not that's worth the trip to JFK, I assume JFK will always be better than LGA.
I wouldn't make that assumption. I think they'll be fairly similar (at least close enough to go whichever is more convenient)

Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Hi all,
Pretty noob here with Hertz so apologies for asking the basics, I did look up some of the threads on what to get but my question has multiple parts to it, and I have no experience with Hertz.
Looking to book a car for 1 week (6/30-7/6), I'm PC (Delta DM), and have a good corporate rate ($386) for a Full-Size, pick-up in Manhattan (most convenient by far vs. LGA/JFK)
- what is my best strategy if I want to get to a large SUV or a prestige car without booking full price up front (that's out of my budget, and I want to utilize my PC and Corporate rate); I'm willing to pay extra for the upgrade on the day of but not full price
- should I consider LGA/JFK to enhance my upgrade options?
- can I switch locations within Manhattan after reservation to optimize my upgrade options?

To give an example; I booked a medium with National last week and got a Range Rover for $52/day extra; I'm trying to sort out if I should go back to them or give Hertz a try for this one given Hertz is cheaper on the corporate rate.

Thanks a ton in advance!
With a city location the main battle is getting in and out at a reasonable pace and if they even have cars. City locations do often over book reservations and often have limited or no vehicles.
mayhem likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 16, 20 at 11:10 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 16, 20, 4:36 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Delta Gold, Hertz PC
In my experience, LGA has much better vehicle options in the PC aisle compared to JFK, which has recently (well, in February and March when I last took a flight) had awful selection.
Old Jun 23, 20, 9:53 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by crimonist View Post
In my experience, LGA has much better vehicle options in the PC aisle compared to JFK, which has recently (well, in February and March when I last took a flight) had awful selection.
Selection goes back and forth. Sometimes one has a great selection and the other doesn't and vice versa. I've found the staff at JFK to work with your more though if you had a specific request.
Old Jun 29, 20, 2:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Best strategy is to book the class you want. Chances of getting a large suv is 0.0001%. Iíve seen pickup trucks as President Club at JFK but never a SUV larger than a Murano (maybe a Rogue). So if you are expecting an Explorer or Tahoe, itís not likely happen even as PC. LGA is even worst for SUV. If you are lucky there may be a BMW 5er.
Old Jul 24, 20, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
President's circle and NYC

When looking to get the best car/value out of president's circle what is the best car class to book? Also, for those with experience in NYC are there any particular off-site locations you recommend in Manhattan that do better in the way of upgrades than other or have a much better car selection? I typically rent F car since the price difference between the classes is not normally that great until I get beyond F.
Old Jul 24, 20, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Go to the airport if you want to take advantage of PC. Otherwise, it's a total crapshoot and my UG success at Manhattan locations is lower than most other places in the US.
Old Jul 24, 20, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Older thread that may be of help: Best HLE in Manhattan for cars?

I found the location at 55th St in Midtown by Rockefeller Center to be decent in service and fleet size but I wouldn't go out of my way to use it; I frequent the location closest to me and they treat me well enough (I rent often enough to know much of the staff there). The upgrades from the non-Airport locations are generally weaker than the options at the Ultimate Choice lots at LGA, JFK, and EWR.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: