Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What are the likely real taxes on an award rental at DEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trying to decide whether to use my points on a 2-week car rental out of DEN next week. DEN rates are pretty high -- especially after you pay all the usual nasty taxes/fees for picking up at a major airport. So using points makes some sense, if I don't get hit with high taxes on the rental. For 2 weeks, Hertz says my taxes will be $140 total. For years, I know that the real award taxes are generally significantly less. Does anyone have a ballpark number for what I'm likely to actually be charged? BTW, I assume there's no way to call someone to get the real number? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
Trying to decide whether to use my points on a 2-week car rental out of DEN next week. DEN rates are pretty high -- especially after you pay all the usual nasty taxes/fees for picking up at a major airport. So using points makes some sense, if I don't get hit with high taxes on the rental. For 2 weeks, Hertz says my taxes will be $140 total. For years, I know that the real award taxes are generally significantly less. Does anyone have a ballpark number for what I'm likely to actually be charged? BTW, I assume there's no way to call someone to get the real number? Thanks.
So no guesses at all? What have folks typically been paying in taxes/fees on airport award rentals lately? I'm trying to decide whether to use my points or play the code discount game. I'd normally just use the codes and save all my points for weird (and expensive) one-way rentals, but I bought a bunch of points from Daily Getaways last year and I don't feel particularly comfortable right now having a high point balance in the Hertz program.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Go to an HLE in Denver. Likely to pay very little at all.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:09 am

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...over-in-denver
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
So no guesses at all? What have folks typically been paying in taxes/fees on airport award rentals lately? I'm trying to decide whether to use my points or play the code discount game. I'd normally just use the codes and save all my points for weird (and expensive) one-way rentals, but I bought a bunch of points from Daily Getaways last year and I don't feel particularly comfortable right now having a high point balance in the Hertz program.
I think that AutoSlash post that someone else posted is going to be more useful but I paid $10.05 for a two-day rental a few weeks ago at a local airport location in AZ that is more of a HLE.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I think that AutoSlash post that someone else posted is going to be more useful but I paid $10.05 for a two-day rental a few weeks ago at a local airport location in AZ that is more of a HLE.
Thanks for the information. It often feels like the car rental companies themselves and gov't are working together to discourage car rental. I've played around with the codes and I've gotten a paid rental down to about what I think the Hertz award rental would "cost" using the points purchased through Daily Getaways. So given the uncertainty of the actual Hertz award costs, and the lack of particularly good value for this rental, I think I'll save my points for another time. I will say that I'm somewhat reluctant to hold Hertz points given the turmoil at their company and their willingness to change award levels with no advance notice. I also hate that they charge a cancellation fee for award reservations, which is pretty outrageous given common practices in the industry. I won't be buying any more Hertz points.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the information. It often feels like the car rental companies themselves and gov't are working together to discourage car rental. I've played around with the codes and I've gotten a paid rental down to about what I think the Hertz award rental would "cost" using the points purchased through Daily Getaways. So given the uncertainty of the actual Hertz award costs, and the lack of particularly good value for this rental, I think I'll save my points for another time. I will say that I'm somewhat reluctant to hold Hertz points given the turmoil at their company and their willingness to change award levels with no advance notice. I also hate that they charge a cancellation fee for award reservations, which is pretty outrageous given common practices in the industry. I won't be buying any more Hertz points.
Yeah, I'm feeling the same way as someone who purchased points via the Daily Getaway deals as well. I liked using the points for weekly rentals on the GT-H and Stingray but Hertz no longer has both of those cars. They don't have any interesting Adrenaline Collections cars either... even when they did a few months ago they didn't make the cars available on points.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I just returned a one week award rental to and from DEN. Total was $31.01. Your real issue will be the cars that are available.
Auto Enthusiast and iahphx like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by OsoJoe
I just returned a one week award rental to and from DEN. Total was $31.01. Your real issue will be the cars that are available.
I've got a Luxury award coming up at the end of the month there - what do you mean by that?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I've got a Luxury award coming up at the end of the month there - what do you mean by that?
Hertz has sold off many of their best cars so you're likely to get something that isn't terribly luxurious or has high mileage.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by m907
Hertz has sold off many of their best cars so you're likely to get something that isn't terribly luxurious or has high mileage.
Eh, we can deal. It's an award so it's not like it cost me any more points to do Luxury. Worst comes to worst, I can probably negotiate into a decent sized SUV.

On that note, the cash cost from Economy through luxury was less than 5% difference, so maybe that's Hertz acknowledging that their cars are crap
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.