need advice on this scenario

Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
need advice on this scenario

daughter and two friends are taking trip west at end of July. starting in Denver, driving to a handful of cities/towns, ending up in Seattle a week later. Spending a few days there, leaving the car with Hertz and then flying out.

I'd like to use Hertz points for this 10-day one way ( Denver/Seattle) rental.

Agent just quoted me something like 7500 points .Fine . Said as long as I was there to pick up car in Denver and she was 21, she could drive the car. I asked " Don't I have to be in the car while she is
driving?"

"No."

I'm not buying it. I think Hertz just dropped the min age from 25 to 21. But this sounds too rosy for me to believe.

If it is true, I'd probably want a GM to sign off on it in Denver to confirm just to cover myself, but I'm still not buying it.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
The agent is correct; Hertz's minimum age is 18, not 25. There also is an underage driver fee that can be waived with certain CDPs (such as AAA).

The minimum age of 25 only applies for Prestige Collection (Cadillacs/BMWs/Infiniti/etc), Dream Collection (more expensive than previous), and Adrenaline Collection (fast cars such as the Camaro SS or Mustang 5.0).

As long as your daughter is listed on the rental, there should be no issue. Also, if your daughter was prohibited from driving the car (for whatever reason)-- why would it matter if you were sitting in the car with her or not?

Source: am 22, have rented a ton from Hertz
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
Thanks. OK,

"As long as your daughter is listed on the rental, there should be no issue. Also, if your daughter was prohibited from driving the car (for whatever reason)-- why would it matter if you were sitting in the car with her or not?"

I think because the rental is under my name and using my points . But if that's no big deal....OK
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Enginerd
Thanks. OK,

"As long as your daughter is listed on the rental, there should be no issue. Also, if your daughter was prohibited from driving the car (for whatever reason)-- why would it matter if you were sitting in the car with her or not?"

I think because the rental is under my name and using my points . But if that's no big deal....OK
I agree - as long as she is added as additional operator (which as a PC you should be able to add for free) then she is legally allowed to drive the car, with or without you inside.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by easyride
I agree - as long as she is added as additional operator (which as a PC you should be able to add for free) then she is legally allowed to drive the car, with or without you inside.
To list an additional renter Hertz will want the additional person present at the start of the rental, with their drivers license. I couldn't tell from OP if that was the plan all along?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by easyride
OP would get hit with the underage driver fee though.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

update

confirmed all this was OK with manager at local airport Hertz, where reservation will originate. was told all I would need would be to have my daughter with me with her DL . Additional fee of $14/day would be assessed.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Enginerd
confirmed all this was OK with manager at local airport Hertz, where reservation will originate. was told all I would need would be to have my daughter with me with her DL . Additional fee of $14/day would be assessed.
If both of you are AAA members, the additional fee would be waived. You just need to use the AAA CDP when making the booking, which you're able to do even for points bookings.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.