Hertz Rates for mid-summer?

Old May 30, 20, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite,
Hertz Rates for mid-summer?

Has anyone noticed Hertz's rates for later in the summer are outrageously high? I understand it would be peak travel season under normal circumstances, but I am seeing $300 for a 3 day weekend rental in MCO in July. Went over to the National website, and got the same dates/times for $170, one car class higher.

Does not seem to me like they are even trying to capture business right now, even though travel is nowhere near normal at the current moment.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 30, 20, 2:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
What type of vehicle are you looking at? Are you using any CDP?
I'm seeing $29/day for a mid-size for July 17-20. With taxes the whole rental comes to $122.
Old May 30, 20, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I'm seeing relatively high rates even starting in early June. PIT -> PIT (both airport and HLE) were somewhere around $40-50/day starting June 1. Probably less telling, but I was also looking at PIT -> PHF and rates were somewhere around $110/day (slightly more reasonable for one way, I guess, but after weeks of $60 one way rates, still a bit jarring)

Using USAA CDP for both.
Old May 30, 20, 5:28 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Hertz pricing has just gone up period. Before COVID I could get weekend rates for like $15/day +tx and fee from airports; both in late summer and in through fall. Jan and Feb too; but once COVID shut down the travel industry, prices have gone up. If anything, I would have expected them to stay low for the sake of getting customers through the door but I guess that's not the case.
Old May 31, 20, 4:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by EntropyTheory View Post
I'm seeing relatively high rates even starting in early June. PIT -> PIT (both airport and HLE) were somewhere around $40-50/day starting June 1.
I'm getting a quote of $29/day for next Friday to Monday (June 5-8) for PIT/PIT, for a total of $135.37, using my company's CDP. Seems about normal to me.
Old May 31, 20, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been seeing very high rates for mid to late summer also. Looking at PBI in July and its 75/day, and LAX is crazy high later in Aug or early Sept.
Old May 31, 20, 9:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I've been seeing very high rates for mid to late summer also. Looking at PBI in July and its 75/day, and LAX is crazy high later in Aug or early Sept.
What were they for the comparable dates (day-of-week adjusted, of course) last year when you looked the exact same number of days out?
Old Jun 1, 20, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Last year I got the time period for less than 25% of the current price with similar ~3mo advance booking.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: