Issue with Hertz Manhattan Branch

Old May 24, 20, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Issue with Hertz Manhattan Branch

Had a rental today in local Manhattan Hertz office. Only one person at a time allowed in so there was a line of over 30 people waiting along the sidewalk all with reservations.
More than a two hour wait to pick up a car!
Only one person working in the entire garage to get the cars and take in rentals. The staff behind the counter were very nice but completely overwhelmed.

No people available to clean the cars or sanitize them so the cars were going out exactly the same way they came in.

I don't know if this is because Hertz declared bankruptcy or because it was the middle of Memorial Day weekend, but if Hertz is going to run their operations like this then they deserve to go out of business
Old May 24, 20, 11:37 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Idk about you but I wouldn’t expect the morale of the employees to be very high at this moment either - their motivation to deliver excellent customer service is probably next to none given all you’ve described above.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 3:48 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I edited the title to clarify this thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joes View Post
Had a rental today in local Manhattan Hertz office. Only one person at a time allowed in so there was a line of over 30 people waiting along the sidewalk all with reservations.
More than a two hour wait to pick up a car!
Only one person working in the entire garage to get the cars and take in rentals.......
Unfortunately, this is not unusual in Manhattan locations around holiday weekends. I have experienced something similar, i.e. one agent only, multiple times during the past few years. 30 is a bit extreme but 5-10 waiting is not unusual. The only difference was no restriction on number of renters in office.
Auto Enthusiast and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old May 25, 20, 9:34 pm

NYC or a NYC airport, the worst service you will ever see(in the best of times) Not just hertz its all car rentals and hotels. I know its a weird time for this suggestion but i know alot of people who take the trains to Jersey or Connecticut depending on where you are headed and go rent a car in the burbs where its more "normal" granted i know it stinks to take mass transit.

Yeah the whole "sanitation" and emails we get from every company on Covid-19 is mostly for show. I just rented from Hertz not a single car had that tape or looked any different. i used my own entire tube of wipes all over the car. They clearly didn't cause way too much came off on the wipes.

Sorry your experience but i think we will see more of this as Hertz is going to be cutting costs everywhere possible and be much smaller I think part of your issue was no one wants to take mass transit or fly, so renting a car was super attractive for the holiday. Maybe rent it the night before next time and stay out where your headed an extra night? I dont see that getting any better this summer
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old May 26, 20, 9:16 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I've had similar experiences at Avis, National and Hertz locations in Manhattan so I wouldn't blame this so much on Hertz (and their bankruptcy) as much as par for the course in NYC. It's a combination of garage locations, understaffed and high demand from lots of people without cars + many tourists.
Old May 27, 20, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by noah View Post
I've had similar experiences at Avis, National and Hertz locations in Manhattan so I wouldn't blame this so much on Hertz (and their bankruptcy) as much as par for the course in NYC. It's a combination of garage locations, understaffed and high demand from lots of people without cars + many tourists.
Why anyone would want to live on top of other people and have to rent a car just to run errands is beyond me...but I guess people do it.
Old May 27, 20, 8:22 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Why many people in Manhattan don't own cars:

Monthly parking in Manhattan can easily be over $500 a month.
Street parking in NYC is rarely free and subject to alternate side parking rules for street cleaning.
There are no marked spaces for parallel parking so cars are subject to considerable front and rear end bumper dings from cars squeezing into tiny spaces.
Auto insurance coverage can be more expensive than other areas.
etc.

Why many people in Manhattan rent cars to run errands:

People like to choose their own items, rather than relying on others.
Delivery can be difficult to obtain slots.
Delivery fees can be costly.
Some do not live in buildings with doorman who can safely receive and store deliveries.
It's not safe or feasible to use mass transit to get to/from stores and very costly to use rideshare/taxis.
Limiting stores to places one can walk to is a pain.
Limiting purchases to items one can easily transport back home is a pain.
People have friends and family that can't be easily reached via mass transit/rideshare that can be visited in the conjunction of running errands.
Some people do shopping for said friends and family members who can't shop for themselves.
etc.

As to why people choose to live in Manhattan, that is a personal choice that considers career, family, and lifestyle. To paraphrase The Song of Bernadette (a favorite movie of mine), for those who love Manhattan life, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible.

Back to discussion that is on-topic for this thread (and not meta-discussion), I've only had to deal with a Hertz staffing meltdown in Manhattan a few times; maybe four or five times over the past eight years or so. I use 403 Lafayette as it's the closest to me and I hope they remain open and staffed. It's fortunate that there's also Budget, Avis, and National in the same area so perhaps the rental demand is spread out a bit.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 27, 20 at 8:28 am
Old Jun 1, 20, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Why many people in Manhattan don't own cars:

Monthly parking in Manhattan can easily be over $500 a month.
Street parking in NYC is rarely free and subject to alternate side parking rules for street cleaning.
There are no marked spaces for parallel parking so cars are subject to considerable front and rear end bumper dings from cars squeezing into tiny spaces.
Auto insurance coverage can be more expensive than other areas.
etc.

Why many people in Manhattan rent cars to run errands:

People like to choose their own items, rather than relying on others.
Delivery can be difficult to obtain slots.
Delivery fees can be costly.
Some do not live in buildings with doorman who can safely receive and store deliveries.
It's not safe or feasible to use mass transit to get to/from stores and very costly to use rideshare/taxis.
Limiting stores to places one can walk to is a pain.
Limiting purchases to items one can easily transport back home is a pain.
People have friends and family that can't be easily reached via mass transit/rideshare that can be visited in the conjunction of running errands.
Some people do shopping for said friends and family members who can't shop for themselves.
etc.

As to why people choose to live in Manhattan, that is a personal choice that considers career, family, and lifestyle. To paraphrase The Song of Bernadette (a favorite movie of mine), for those who love Manhattan life, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible.

Back to discussion that is on-topic for this thread (and not meta-discussion), I've only had to deal with a Hertz staffing meltdown in Manhattan a few times; maybe four or five times over the past eight years or so. I use 403 Lafayette as it's the closest to me and I hope they remain open and staffed. It's fortunate that there's also Budget, Avis, and National in the same area so perhaps the rental demand is spread out a bit.
Well said on why we don't own cars but rent cars.

Also for discussion, Memorial Day opens up the summer season where NYCers rent cars to get to their second homes and because Summer Fridays are a thing. Every rental agency is booked over the weekend and almost every ZipCar is also booked. This lasts until Labor Day. Most of the rental agencies pack in the cars for the summer season to meet demand.
Old Jun 3, 20, 3:17 pm

Especially this summer for the people stuck in Manhattan alot will want to get away on weekends to anywhere. Rental car demand will remain high or higher than usual I'd say. If I had a shore house share or friends or family and I use to take the train a rental car is a much better alternative to mass transit in a covid world. Can clean the car down pretty well once before you go anywhere and not around so many people as on the train and Penn or grand Central stations.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: