Overdue Rental, no plans to return

Old May 22, 20, 11:42 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
I can’t believe someone would think it’s okay to hang on to a car like that.
Old May 22, 20, 12:51 pm

If you keep it much longer they may be out of business!
Old May 22, 20, 1:09 pm

Even for Flyertalk, this is is a new high in entitlement.

"I've breached a contract and want to go on breaching it because it is inconvenient to return somebody else's property to them as I've agreed. I have status, though, shouldn't that make it ok?"

Yes. It makes it okay. Keep it as long as you like. The Utah State Patrol will let you know when it's over.

I am glad you enjoy Utah. You may be there for a long time.
Old May 22, 20, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 View Post
Flyer talk help!

(Bolding added)

I am currently renting a jeep wrangler. We headed to the Utah desert when this whole quarantine thing started. When I rented the jeep I said I would return about a week ago. We are having fun with no intent to return soon. The last time I rented a car the same thing happened and the person at the Hertz counter told me no big deal it’s the same cost per day or week. Just return it when I want.

So two days ago I got a call from corporate saying my car is overdue. They told me they actually sold the car And I need to return it as soon as possible. Here’s the issue I am at least a four hour round-trip drive to the closest Hertz that doesn’t have another jeep to give me.

I am president circle if that means anything. Should I just return it when I want? Are they going to hit me with any big fees? If I keep it it’ll be at least another seven days.
Wow, just wow. I am really taken aback by this post. So if there was no fun being had, would the car have been returned on time?

I am relieved that my clients do not treat me this way and ignore the contracts. And if any of the clients start to be a little difficult, I will refer to this post for perspective.
Old May 22, 20, 7:34 pm

Hertz does not own their vehicles they lease them. But they have failed to make payment on their leases so they may file bankruptcy any minute. Either way you do not have legal rights to the car. But Hertz lied as they certainly did not sell the jeep because they do not own the Jeep. Either way you have no legal right to keep the vehicle but you folks are missing major news
Old May 22, 20, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL KM, AS, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Hertz does not own their vehicles they lease them. But they have failed to make payment on their leases so they may file bankruptcy any minute. Either way you do not have legal rights to the car. But Hertz lied as they certainly did not sell the jeep because they do not own the Jeep. Either way you have no legal right to keep the vehicle but you folks are missing major news
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how would Hertz sell their cars if they didn't own them?

-J.
Old May 22, 20, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
But they have failed to make payment on their leases so they may file bankruptcy any minute.
Which they just did.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 9:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how would Hertz sell their cars if they didn't own them?

-J.
They ended the lease. Easier for renter to understand “we sold the vehicle” vs “we ended the lease” and then explaining to renter the car rental business model on why leasing is less capital intensive than buying the vehicle and renting it out.
Old May 22, 20, 9:51 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Hertz does not lease (most of) their vehicles. They own them but the overall fleet is financed through asset-backed securities (or ABSs which are like bonds). In the same way that you can sell your 2-year old Honda Accord even though you owe Honda Finance for another year worth of loan payments by paying off the loan post-sale, Hertz can dispose of its fleet as it sees fit as long as it continues to make the payments on the ABSs.

If you are interested in the background of how this all works, this is a good overview.

Last edited by AutoSlash; May 22, 20 at 9:59 pm
Old May 22, 20, 10:53 pm

I will admit this is a crazy story. But i have been told many times by Hertz offices to keep it an extra day or two they will adjust on return dont even worry about calling in, so i kind of get where the idea came from, but. Clearly that is a day or two not Weeks. Weeks you have to get the contract extended. You would want to anyway and go on a monthly rate.

Where in Utah are you EXACTLY?
Are you forgetting to look in Colorado and Nevada also and restricting this search to only the state of Utah? I know Utah very well and i also would be surprised if all of these don't have many Jeeps in stock: Salt Lake City, St George, Durango CO, Grand Junction CO, and Las Vegas. Those pretty much surround the state and are all pretty large locations and should have many Jeep Wranglers and Grand Cherokees right now. Then there's smaller locations that one would probably have one come in very soon and they could hold it for you Cortez CO, Provo UT, Telluride CO, Rock Springs WY. If you explain the situation surely they can tell you when one is coming in and hold it for you. It seems like you should be able to get to a Hertz location to do an exchange Utah is a large state but your not in Alaska, this part of the story maybe you just dont have good internet to research or know the area. We can help you.

In short yes you kept the car way past its return date and legally need to return the car. We can help you find a location if you tell us where you are, most mountain passes are open this time of year also its not winter! You can drive to a Hertz location if you are somewhere in Utah that will have a Jeep or can get one, that is not an unreasonable ask of Hertz when you kept the car this much past its return date

PLEASE let us know what you decide to do or how this ends. I am very interested. It's a weird time for Hertz I do think they will work with you.

I would get it in writing or have corporate call the local location because they are going to have NO IDEA how to handle this. No they don't have to re-price it if corporate wants the car back and OKs the return. The local agents will have no idea though if you just show up and then they might.

Your profile says Jackson WY, even that the far corner of WY is only 8 hours to Moab. A large location if Hertz denies you a new rental have a backup reservation with a new company ready (shouldn't be hard right now rental cars are pouring out of the lots)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 23, 20 at 4:45 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 22, 20, 11:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by lunchtime View Post
This will get really fun when OP finally returns his vehicle that was due back at SLC two weeks late and 300 miles away at SGU! Can't wait to see what happens when the rental is re-rated as a one way rental.
Old May 22, 20, 11:16 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
This will get really fun when OP finally returns his vehicle that was due back at SLC two weeks late and 300 miles away at SGU! Can't wait to see what happens when the rental is re-rated as a one way rental.
They have to pay their creditors somehow if they're ever going to emerge from bankruptcy.
Auto Enthusiast and wrp96 like this.
Old May 23, 20, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lunchtime View Post
I’m in Kanab, closest location was St. George. Returned it there yesterday.
Auto Enthusiast and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 23, 20 at 11:13 am Reason: shortened quote
Old May 23, 20, 10:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 View Post
I’m in Kanab, closest location was St. George. Returned it there yesterday.
If you care to comment, I am sure folks would be interested in how Hertz dealt with the return, particularly the way they may (or may not) have assessed incremental charges. I once left a car in a parking lot at the onset of a hurricane, so there can be random times a delayed return might happen and your data point might be of interest to others.
Old May 23, 20, 11:18 am

If Hertz sold the car to buyer local to SLC, how would they allow you to return elsewhere without a huge fine?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: