Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on May 22, 2020" Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Official Press Release - click here

Excerpts:
  • Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: HTZ) ("Hertz" or the "Company") ... announced it and certain of its U.S. and Canadian subsidiaries have filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
  • All customer and loyalty programs [are] expected to continue as usual
  • Hertz's principal international operating regions including Europe, Australia and New Zealand are not included in [the] U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings. In addition, Hertz's franchised locations, which are not owned by the Company, also are not included in the Chapter 11 proceedings.
  • All of Hertz's businesses globally, including its Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Firefly, Hertz Car Sales, and Donlen subsidiaries, are open and serving customers. All reservations, promotional offers, vouchers, and customer and loyalty programs, including rewards points, are expected to continue as usual.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on May 22, 2020" Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
LOL, Hertz has tech issues way before the whole pandemic and economy shutdown... they just happened to make it worse with the new website interface.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:32 pm

Resorts in Arizona have become parking lot for extra cars NOT ON RENT.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Centurion
Resorts in Arizona have become parking lot for extra cars NOT ON RENT.
It6's good that someone is using the land efficiently.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
National is owned by Enterprise RAC, they are in much better shape financially.
Are they, though? They laid off a ton of people too and since they're a privately held company it's harder to know.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:08 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Don't worry, they'll still be here where we're ready to travel again. They probably had some of the 3500+ vehicles that burned at RSW on April 7th. I noticed they didn't do the usual Florida drive out for April thru June which I always enjoyed for a nice springtime drive up the east coast to visit my friends there. Reminds me of that joke about the two business owners complaining about how bad their businesses were. One said he had a fire in his warehouse that destroyed everything, but that the insurance company covered all his losses including rebuilding which would take a long time. The other said he had a flood, and that the insurance company settled right away and it was easy to get back up and running very soon. So, the first guy asked: How do you cause a flood?
strickerj and supervillian like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rbAA
Don't worry, they'll still be here where we're ready to travel again. They probably had some of the 3500+ vehicles that burned at RSW on April 7th. I noticed they didn't do the usual Florida drive out for April thru June which I always enjoyed for a nice springtime drive up the east coast to visit my friends there. Reminds me of that joke about the two business owners complaining about how bad their businesses were. One said he had a fire in his warehouse that destroyed everything, but that the insurance company covered all his losses including rebuilding which would take a long time. The other said he had a flood, and that the insurance company settled right away and it was easy to get back up and running very soon. So, the first guy asked: How do you cause a flood?
Those 3500+ cars are self insured in the USA so I’d be hard pressed to think they were happy that incident happened. Am I wrong?
Old May 1, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
The FL driveout is being advertised on the deals section of Hertz's website. How many snowbirds and leisure travelers will actually choose to leave FL this year and head towards more Covid hotspot cities is anyone's guess.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:45 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by jim32190
Those 3500+ cars are self insured in the USA so I’d be hard pressed to think they were happy that incident happened. Am I wrong?
Not 100% sure, but I believe only public liability is self-insured. If there is financing or a lease for the fleet, I imaging that insurance would be required, especially under most business insurance packages.

Last edited by rbAA; May 1, 2020 at 9:50 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
The FL driveout is being advertised on the deals section of Hertz's website. How many snowbirds and leisure travelers will actually choose to leave FL this year and head towards more Covid hotspot cities is anyone's guess.
Don't know how I missed it, but it is there, just not as great a deal as past driveouts, $19.99 per day currently vs $4.99 in the past for FL and $29.99 for AZ vs $4.99 in the past.

I can't obviously, as if I leave Thailand now, I can't return before July 31st given the restrictions on foreigners returning.

Last edited by rbAA; May 1, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Old May 3, 2020, 3:40 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by Kitmick1
If Hertz decides to take the route of bankruptcy, it will not be a total liquidation, it will be a reorganization under the protection of a bankruptcy court with all the protections afforded any other company. If that did happen it would be extremely foolish of them to dissolve their Hertz Rewards program. The previous members of that program would be snapped up by Avis and National very quickly in order to gain valuable market share.
I certainly hope that is the case. I'd hate to lose my miles. Has Hertz been profitable enough up until now that it would be attractive to private equity investors? Or who else would want to own it that has any money?
Old May 3, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
I recently realized that since this pandemic started, I've received tons of emails from hotel chains, airlines, and other rental car companies that I'm a member of, but not one from Hertz. Not a big deal, but it seems like most of those other companies are trying to do some sort of damage control, but I haven't heard a peep from Hertz.
BLG and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Marko123
I recently realized that since this pandemic started, I've received tons of emails from hotel chains, airlines, and other rental car companies that I'm a member of, but not one from Hertz. Not a big deal, but it seems like most of those other companies are trying to do some sort of damage control, but I haven't heard a peep from Hertz.
Good point. The only email I've received was from Hertz Business Rewards reminding me that I can use my free day cert at HLE's also. That was on April 2nd.
Marko123 likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Marko123
Better, the loyalty section of hertz's website crashed after the pandemic, so I'm a PC, but it only shows gold. Must be the best way to keep customers!
Marko123 likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:09 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I get the impression that a large number of staff associated with marketing and sales promotion/development were part of the layoffs last month. Back to the OP's question, I am redeeming as much of my points as I can for the few rentals that I have planned.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
This headline caught my eye this morning.

Hertz(HTZ) – Hertz has until today to either pay $500 million dollars or obtain a waiver, according to a report in the New York Post. If it fails to do so, the report said the car rental company would likely file for bankruptcy within a matter of days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.