Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Extending Status? (Confirmed Extension to Jan 31, 2022 Announced on May 4)

Old May 4, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Per email received from Hertz on May 4, 2020:

Were automatically extending your loyalty status until January 31, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Hertz Extending Status? (Confirmed Extension to Jan 31, 2022 Announced on May 4)

Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Five Star
I can tell you early last month in Orlando the 5Star choice lane was very poor not any difference than Gold Choice. I was solicited in advance and accepted a Comp upgrade to the new Chevy Blazer but it was nowhere to be found. The back and forth with the station mgt to confirm I was on this list (which I was) and then to find out how to modify my reservation. I often find Hertz is giving away snow in the winter at least for 5Star members.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by m907
Availability of a BMW, Mercedes, or convertible is a silly metric, and whether they're actually "premium" is debatable.
I think it's a fine metric. And based on my experience as a Hertz PC, BMWs, Mercedes, and convertibles are rarely available to PCs without an extra upgrade fee. I've had three (sort of) German vehicles in the past 12 months (one actual Dingolfing-built 530i and two Mexican Benz A220s). The A220 is certainly a much better vehicle than the Hyundai Whatever, Kia Crapmobile, Malibu, Impala, or Chrysler 300 that PCs normally get in the US.

I have no idea where jim32190 is renting but his experience is totally out of line with what I've experienced as a PC renting in the US.

I'll take a Ford Explorer Limited with a sunroof, heated/cooled seats, and adaptive cruise control over a barebones BMW X3 or Mercedes GLC300 any day.
Can't comment since I avoid SUVs. I had a BMW X2 as a service loaner not too long ago and it did nothing for me. Certainly would never buy one. But that's true of pretty much all SUVs. What's so bad about the X3 specifically?

Last edited by Herb687; Apr 29, 2020 at 10:40 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
I think it's a fine metric. And based on my experience as a Hertz PC, BMWs, Mercedes, and convertibles are rarely available to PCs without an extra upgrade fee. I've had three (sort of) German vehicles in the past 12 months (one actual Dingolfing-built 530i and two Mexican Benz A220s). The A220 is certainly a much better vehicle than the Hyundai Whatever, Kia Crapmobile, Malibu, Impala, or Chrysler 300 that PCs normally get in the US.

I have no idea where jim32190 is renting but his experience is totally out of line with what I've experienced as a PC renting in the US.

Can't comment since I avoid SUVs. I had a BMW X2 as a service loaner not too long ago and it did nothing for me. Certainly would never buy one. But that's true of pretty much all SUVs. What's so bad about the X3 specifically?
Brand loyalty is dumb, especially in the rental car business. German brand ≠ better.

I don't have anything against the X3 except maybe the general pretentiousness of BMW. But with no amenities in a barebones rental model, and very few renters who will drive it how it's meant to be driven, it makes little sense over a loaded Explorer.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Sedan/coupe preference over SUV so maybe thats why Im biased in this view but Ive had at least a Prestige Series P4 class or higher sedan, at each of SEA, ORD, PHX, and LAS over the past 6 months and 15ish rentals. Only maybe 3 or so ended up being PCARs while the rest were Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, or American Muscle.

These upgrade would never be found for free at Avis... National at SEA is comical; and all other times Hertz has been cheaper and my first pick.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jim32190
Sedan/coupe preference over SUV so maybe thats why Im biased in this view but Ive had at least a Prestige Series P4 class or higher sedan, at each of SEA, ORD, PHX, and LAS over the past 6 months and 15ish rentals. Only maybe 3 or so ended up being PCARs while the rest were Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, or American Muscle.
I also have a strong preference for sedan/coupe and avoid SUVs whenever possible. My experience could not be more different from yours. My travel is a mix of major airports (frequent rental destinations ATL, SFO, TPA), a very wide range of smaller airports, and occasionally a Hertz Local Edition.

As pointed out, I've had three German sedans in my last 36 Hertz rentals and only one of those was from a major airport Ultimate Choice location.

In terms of other decent cars I've had maybe three Cadillacs in that timeframe (one of which should be pulled from the denominator since I actually reserved "Luxury Sport" or whatever category includes the Cadillac XTS/Infiniti Q50 instead of hoping for a PC upgrade) and exactly one Ford Mustang GT 5.0.

So, let's make that 6/35 on the "I got a good/fun car as a PC without paying for an upgrade" count. Normally as PC at an Ultimate Choice location, I get to choose from Impala, Malibu, Chrysler 300, Kia, Hyundai... Whoop-de-freakin-do.
jim32190 likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Just received an email from Hertz stating current status will be extended through January 31, 2021. I've added a wikipost to reflect this.
Auto Enthusiast and Marko123 like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Just received an email from Hertz stating current status will be extended through January 31, 2021. I've added a wikipost to reflect this.
Above you state 2021, but in the wiki you stated 2022 - I'm guessing 2021 is correct but would appreciate confirmation.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Corrected; it's 2022. Thanks!

Let's all hope there is a Hertz to rent from in the months between now and 2022 ...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
All those declarations of status extensions by car rental companies, airlines and hotels mean absolutely nothing.

Only when the global leaders abandon the path of economic self-destruction it will be clear which companies remain alive, and how much business they can compete for in the world with 20% unemployment.

Given their situation it is honest of Hertz to not declare empty promises.
m907 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:30 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Is this extension also for non-US based members? Here in Netherlands I've not seen anything on their website (nor received any emails), checked other EU websites, but OTOH am not seeing it on the US website too...maybe I'll have to wait for an email. Do hope that it will be for WW members.

Cheers!
Old May 8, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Will rental activity in 2020 count towards 2022 status requalification? Is Hertz going to lump together the rental activity from 2020 and 2021 to requalify for post January 31, 2022 or will they only use rental activity in 2021 for requalification purposes?
Old May 13, 2020, 1:10 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Is this extension also for non-US based members? Here in Netherlands I've not seen anything on their website (nor received any emails), checked other EU websites, but OTOH am not seeing it on the US website too...maybe I'll have to wait for an email. Do hope that it will be for WW members.

Cheers!
Just received an email from Hertz on some updates and among them is status - as expected - they are extending status here in *assume* status for members based in Europe too until 31 Jan 2022.

Cheers!
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Is this extension just for status or also for points?
I read this here (https://upgradedpoints.com/coronavir...nsions-changes) but can't find any mails about this?
Also, only for US members or also valid in Europe?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 7:29 am

Too funny, we're extending and now we're not for YOU

Gotta luv that marketing department...

https://viewfromthewing.com/hertz-re...a-basket-case/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.