Point Exchange to Airlines Gone?

Old Apr 2, 20, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PP, DL DM
Point Exchange to Airlines Gone?

Can anyone see the page where you can transfer your points to Airlines / Hotels in 600 point chunks? I only see the options for redeeming for car rentals, and a link to a site with that appears to be for experience auctions (but there's nothing listed now). I've got a chunk of points I'd like to transfer before they expire in May. Odds are I'm not going to be able to make a new rental before they are scheduled to expire.
Old Apr 2, 20, 3:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MotelRomeo View Post
Can anyone see the page where you can transfer your points to Airlines / Hotels in 600 point chunks? I only see the options for redeeming for car rentals, and a link to a site with that appears to be for experience auctions (but there's nothing listed now). I've got a chunk of points I'd like to transfer before they expire in May. Odds are I'm not going to be able to make a new rental before they are scheduled to expire.
https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/emembe...y/awardsTab.do

Exchange points should be on the right.

Ron.
Old Apr 2, 20, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/emembe...y/awardsTab.do

Exchange points should be on the right.

Ron.
There's nothing on the hertz.com (not .ca) version of that site with the word "exchange" after doing a ctrl+f search.

Any US residents see exchange listed on this page: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...y/awardsTab.do
Old Apr 2, 20, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
I don't see the option at this point. The web site looks a bit different than the last time I used it.
Old May 1, 20, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

I called in today after never finding a link on the website. The agent said I would have to do the transfer online, and I told her that I did not see a link anywhere on the website to make the transfer. Then she said the new system was down and that they can't do transfers right now. Sounded like she was just trying to get me off the phone.

With all the points I have set to expire next week, it looks like I'm either going to have to spend some money next week on a dummy rental, or let the points expire. Guess I'll burn 750 points + taxes on a rental to reset my 18 month expiration clock. Hopefully Hertz makes it through this recession, but that seems doubtful these days.
Old May 7, 20, 12:54 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
So is there no possibility to exchange points now? Coz I've tried all links above and never get the right button.
Old May 8, 20, 8:36 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by MotelRomeo View Post
I called in today after never finding a link on the website. The agent said I would have to do the transfer online, and I told her that I did not see a link anywhere on the website to make the transfer. Then she said the new system was down and that they can't do transfers right now. Sounded like she was just trying to get me off the phone.

With all the points I have set to expire next week, it looks like I'm either going to have to spend some money next week on a dummy rental, or let the points expire. Guess I'll burn 750 points + taxes on a rental to reset my 18 month expiration clock. Hopefully Hertz makes it through this recession, but that seems doubtful these days.

Did you get the email on extending points? You can check the wiki in the Hertz Covid-19 thread for more information.
Old May 12, 20, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
Did you get the email on extending points? You can check the wiki in the Hertz Covid-19 thread for more information.
my points expire may 25th, i never received an email with the link to extend and there's no way to transfer out to airline miles
Old May 12, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by stuart h View Post
my points expire may 25th, i never received an email with the link to extend and there's no way to transfer out to airline miles
Call and ask to extend... I might be wrong but I thought that the extension offer was for everyone. I did not need it but received the email last Saturday May 9th.
Extending Loyalty Status To give our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members more time and opportunity to enjoy their membership benefits, we recently announced we have extended their current loyalty status through January 31, 2022. Additionally, members with points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020, have the opportunity to claim them here <PERSONALIZED LINK>.
Note - it says "claim them" but the webpage is to extend them through December 31, 2020. And says that they will be available on June 1. (which implies even if they were going in March they will be reinstated)

I think they are doing a real disservice by not just extending automatically, but that is just my opinion.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old May 15, 20, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
Call and ask to extend... I might be wrong but I thought that the extension offer was for everyone. I did not need it but received the email last Saturday May 9th.
Extending Loyalty Status To give our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members more time and opportunity to enjoy their membership benefits, we recently announced we have extended their current loyalty status through January 31, 2022. Additionally, members with points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020, have the opportunity to claim them here <PERSONALIZED LINK>.
Note - it says "claim them" but the webpage is to extend them through December 31, 2020. And says that they will be available on June 1. (which implies even if they were going in March they will be reinstated)

I think they are doing a real disservice by not just extending automatically, but that is just my opinion.
Thanks fwfdan, i'll give it a go
Old May 18, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
I received the following response when inquiring why I no longer see a link to exchange or transfer points to an airline or hotel partner:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding transferring your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points to other travel partners. We have temporarily paused the functionality to transfer points to select partners. You can still redeem your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points for free rental days starting at 750 points.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA MM
Ha, they are bleeding and about to go Chapter 11 and still want to hang on to those loyalty points. Are they considered an asset that they must legally hold on to? Doubt they could have much book value.
m907 likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 3:31 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Great. I got 67.000 pts. Should’ve been more careful either and spend or transferred it. Never paid too much attention to it. Lesson learned
Old May 22, 20, 11:12 pm

I guess i will rent a Premium sedan this summer and just pour miles onto it to use some points while i still can. I don't see myself flying anyway this summer, so will probably do alot more car day trips and put some good miles on the car. Not the worst time ever, but wish i had been smarter about redeeming more along the way i just kept letting points grow. I always find good deals on rentals between all the companies and was just too frugal. Lesson learned use the points and miles now. Lesson for the airlines too devaluation is probably coming to some of those programs even more, use them sooner than later!
Old May 23, 20, 12:19 am

It works for Amtrak - I just redeemed my points by transfering them to Amtrak.

Other options currently listed are Southwest, Bonvoy, and Priority Club.

Last edited by sokolov; May 23, 20 at 12:49 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: