Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unable to rent due to shelter-in-place, points expiring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to rent due to shelter-in-place, points expiring

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Angry Unable to rent due to shelter-in-place, points expiring

Long time reader, first time poster, but I'm just so mad at Hertz complete lack of common sense here I had to.

So my points were expiring and I planned to just burn a quick 1-day rental to maintain them by going and picking up a car and immediately returning it, since only completed rentals count. Well, over a week ago my area was put under a shelter-in-place order so I can't legally go out except for certain essential activities for the next few weeks. I contacted Hertz about an extension on my points expiration, which they had no desire to do, even after escalating the case back and forth for days. I then asked, since they seem to think I am still able to comply with the program terms, how I was possibly supposed to spend points in a valid way and got false information that booking would be enough.

So, now here I am, points expiring and according to Hertz the only way to keep them is to commit a misdemeanor and put my family's heath at risk.

I get that you could argue I had 18 months to do something to keep the points active, but why would I do something so far ahead of the expiration unless I had to.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:18 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

We agree that Hertz's position is annoying given the circumstances. Our best suggestion is to try calling the location where you rented and see if they are willing to work with you on that. Maybe they can check out the rental for you over the phone and then check it back in so you get the points. Given that most of their business dried up, they may be willing to accommodate you.

PS--You'll probably need to speak with a manager to make this happen as it's not likely a rank-and-file employee would feel comfortable doing.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have not looked at the T&C's, but would buying a minimum number of Hertz points re-set the clock?
aztimm likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I remember reading something a while ago about booking a reservation with points then cancelling creates activity in the account. Worth a try.

Ron.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:52 am

You're not going to be arrested for renting a car.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by newfbc
I remember reading something a while ago about booking a reservation with points then cancelling creates activity in the account. Worth a try.

Ron.
Unfortunately, a while ago they seem to have closed many/all of the loopholes like this. Here's the current language found in their FAQ's (emphasis mine):
"Points do not expire if you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® rental activity in the prior 18 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards® point was either earned or redeemed on a rental. A Gold Plus Rewards point may only be earned or redeemed on a completed rental. Making a reservation or points transfer to a partner company does not count as rental activity."
See Expiring Points here:
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...e=GPR_FAQs.jsp
Auto Enthusiast and newfbc like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:10 pm

Shopping for food is an essential activity.
Rent a car and go shopping with it.
Auto Enthusiast, stc and m907 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Hertz did not extend my points when I requested it before they expired. It was not too many points, just enough for a 1 day rental. I usually don't accumulate too many points. Hertz created ill will by not extending points even a little. They did for some people.

Just as the pandemic started, I was thinking of using points but the rental was so cheap that I decided to pay for it. It was less than $30 for 1 day, including fees and taxes.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT!

Here are my thoughts on this:

- It's not Hertz's fault that you can't rent a car,
- You've had a long time to generate some account activity, but equally
- It seems petty for Hertz to be so by-the-book.

What are the essential activities that you are permitted out for? I agree with others that you could, for example, go grocery shopping or pick up some medicine in your rental car.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:52 am

My issue is slightly different in that I knew my points were expiring however emails from Hertz themselves had the wrong expiration date and continued coming for months after the expiration date saying I still had points. Even one email stating an extension of points/status due to pandemic that listed my points. When I tried to use them I was told all my points expired. Even the same day as I received a points summary email that listed the points. They claimed my points were gone even before that pandemic-specific email that I received about status/points extension. Hertz would do nothing. They said their system glitch in the emails did not matter, it was on me to use the points within the proper time. I tried escalating and escalating, got nowhere. I lost around 10,000 points. So lesson learned that another example of Hertz incompetence and you can't even trust the emails they send you. I even had it on my calendar to use the points but because of the email they sent me I wasn't rushing so its not like I forgot about the points, I simply thought I had more time to use them. They refused to take accountability and did absolutely nothing good will. I gave them nearly 100% of my weekly rentals for many years when I traveled regularly, never used another company, and that is the thanks I got.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's why I gave up on earning rental car points long ago. It's pretty easy to earn airline miles on car rentals, and it's pretty easy to extend airlines mile expirations (at least for USA-based airlines) in zillions of easy ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.