Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
"Hertz Gold Standard Clean" announced - click here

2020 Loyalty status extended through January 31, 2022 - link to FT Thread

POINTS EXTENSION
Points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020 may be extended. Individualized emails have been sent to account members to "opt into" extending points. This must be done manually and will not be done automatically. Details below.

UPDATE: May 5, 2020

There's a points extension link included in an email with the subject "I
ntroducing Hertz Gold Standard Clean – Sanitized. Sealed. Delivered." that was sent to account holders on Mon 5/4/2020.

The second article of the email indicates: "if you have points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, extend them now." (A link is provided within the email that is linked to the individuals account.)

Points extension is not being done automatically but must be "opted into". After clicking on the email link the HERTZ webpage that you're redirected to indicates:
"Your points will be available starting June 1, 2020 – and they’ll be valid through December 31, 2020."

Update: May 8, 2020

A follow up email with the subject "COVID-19 update: New Hertz Gold Standard Clean and Loyalty Updates" was sent to members on May 8, 2020

Under the section "Extending Loyalty Status" there's another individualized link that must be clicked (followed) to "opt into" extending your points.

The section reads as follows:
To give our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members more time and opportunity to enjoy their membership benefits, we recently announced we have extended their current loyalty status through January 31, 2022. Additionally, members with points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020, have the opportunity to claim them here. (Where "here" is the individualized link).

Print Wikipost

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Marko123
Are rewards reservations flat-out not available at this time? I've tried many different combinations of dates and locations and keep seeing this message:

Hertz Rewards Points
Balance: 2,XXX
There are no rewards currently available (based on your pick-up date, location or points total).
I think I can answer my own question now but this is something I've never seen before. If I take off my CDP, it allows me to use my points. But I only have enough points for a couple days and the rest of the rental is at rack rates, so only one word comes to mind: scam.

In the past I know I've been able to use my CDP rate for some of the rental period and points for a free day or two for the rest of the rental period. I wonder if it's just a website bug.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I received an email this afternoon with several updates; wikipost added to this thread to summarize them.
Marko123 likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
The Hertz Rewards site isn't allowing logons...
Old May 4, 2020, 9:06 pm

I picked up a car from ATL today.

The rental car facility is, as you'd expect, pretty quiet. All of the escalators from the Skytrain to level 3 (Hertz) were switched off and gated. I took the escalator down to 2 (Enterprise), then used the escalator in the garage itself to go back up a level. Odly, those were switched off too, but not gated shut.

As a quick aside, Enterprise was parked solid. Was a bit sad walking past the "Exotics" area and seeing S-Class, Ranger Rovers, And Teslas sitting covered in a thick layer of dust.

At Hertz, the parking deck was *filthy*. Gloves and assorted trash as far as the eye could see, all over the ground.

Gold, 5-star, and PC were unexpectedly empty (perhaps they're now turning in whatever leases they can?). The cars that did remain were, for the most part, caked in dust. Not just the usual GA pollen, but that airport garage dust we're probably all familiar with.

Several cars had their hoods up, and the first two I tried had dead batteries. I saw two employees.. one sitting outside the Gold booth looking pretty weary, and one squaling the tires of a Malibu in an empty corner of the garage.

Most of the cars had a "Gold standard of clean" sticker between the drivers door and b-pillar.

I wasn't looking for an upgrade, but I noticed the paid upgrade area had just a few BMW 7-series. Which, I've seen there before, but I'm more used to seeing Infinits, and there were none today. My "third times a charm" car was a pretty new, decently equipped Ford Escape.

Last edited by Presguy; May 4, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Old May 5, 2020, 2:16 pm

Smile Hertz CS response time during COVID-19

I had a past rental and final charge was already posted under my Amex cc
However, I noticed another $150 authorization which was not released yet/looks like a double authorization
I used web form to contact them and Hertz replied back within 24 hrs.
I am PC and this is the first time they get back to me within 24 hrs.
The CS relations agent left a voicemail and also sent me another email to apologize. She confirmed it was their system error.
I received 300 points as compensation even I did not ask for any compensation. I know It is nothing but I'm glad they solved the issue quickly.
The authorization was released after 24 hrs.

I still hope Hertz can make it this time and survive.
Stay healthy and safe everyone!
Old May 5, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: National, Hertz
I reserved and picked up a T6 from an HLE this past Saturday for a super cheap weekly rate. I normally save my points to book T6s for family vacations, but IMO under $200 for 7 days including taxes and fees is awesome. Not like we're going on vacation anytime soon...

First time renting in a while during the travel shutdowns and it was from a completely different HLE than the one I normally use. What's odd is my HLE is bigger than this one, and another larger HLE close by was also closed. This one looked like it had about 10 spaces and shared a lot with a buy here, pay here car dealership. The sole employee is the manager and was extremely nice, and chatting with him he wasn't very worried about the impending/possible bankruptcy. When I found out he was the only employee and lot was small, I figured Hertz's strategy is to keep the smallest possible locations open which cost less to operate. Enterprise is using the opposite strategy, at least in my neighborhood. It's a pretty decent size location and lot that gets plenty of business from local body shops. However, they closed other Enterprise locations and have some staff working out of this store. Their lot has been absolutely overflowing with cars parked bumper-to-bumper, everywhere they can possibly fit them. They're on a main road with a shoulder that does not allow parking, however they've been parking cars there with a seemingly free pass from the police thus far.

Back to Hertz. Normally my HLE calls a few days in advance to confirm I'm still coming for the T6, so I was a bit worried they wouldn't have it since I never got a call. My contract was pre-printed about an hour before I arrived with a 2020 Suburban with 6K assigned; no issues. The car clearly came from the airport or a larger distribution center. 7/8s full. The exterior has been run through a car wash exactly once, very quickly, and a long time ago at that. There were bugs splattered all over the windshield and the outside had a solid layer of dust on it. I took it to my local car wash and plan on getting the exterior was deducted from the final bill. However, the interior was spotless. Glass, screens, door handles, everything looked brand new. The carpets were the cleanest I've ever seen in a rental, and even under the seats looked like they were thoroughly cleaned. Even the cup holders and center console, which I find are typically overlooked by the cleaners, were as clean. Either exactly one renter put 6,000 miles on this beast and had 0 passengers, or Hertz really stepped up their interior cleaning regime in response to covid. Hopefully it sticks after this all passes!
m907 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Updated the thread Wiki with points extension information.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:33 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by jizen
I had a past rental and final charge was already posted under my Amex cc
However, I noticed another $150 authorization which was not released yet/looks like a double authorization
I used web form to contact them and Hertz replied back within 24 hrs.
I am PC and this is the first time they get back to me within 24 hrs.
The CS relations agent left a voicemail and also sent me another email to apologize. She confirmed it was their system error.
I received 300 points as compensation even I did not ask for any compensation. I know It is nothing but I'm glad they solved the issue quickly.
The authorization was released after 24 hrs.

I still hope Hertz can make it this time and survive.
Stay healthy and safe everyone!
I merged this new thread with the general COVID-19 Hertz thread

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old May 8, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Second "Opt in" email to extend points sent to members today. Click the link in the email or lose your points. I added the details in the thread wiki.
Old May 8, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite
Just noticed that in the email after you mentioned it. The button is only underlined in the middle of the paragraph. Very sneaky.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChristopherJN
Just noticed that in the email after you mentioned it. The button is only underlined in the middle of the paragraph. Very sneaky.
Sneaky indeed. Most people would overlook that link. Glad I could help.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Rented from a Pittsburgh area HLE recently as I usually do to make my grocery runs. Maybe I caught them at a bad time when I picked up the car, but I had a I / Luxury class reserved and when I arrived the only non-economy / compact cars they had were a sad-looking Pathfinder and an Altima, which I took. There was an Impala waiting outside of the garage -- I asked the counter agent if I could take it, and he said that it needed an oil change and was empty on fuel. There was also a dirty looking Yukon that looked like it needed a repair as well and a 2020 Ford Escape that they used to pick me up (with their Neighborhood Pickup service.)

When I returned the car, however, the selection was a fair bit nicer. An Escalade, Suburban, 300S, and a CTS were all in the lot. I commented on how I had a Luxury reservation but they only had Fullsize the day I picked the car up and the counter agent adjusted the rate for me. This also marks the first time I've received a downgrade, yay for that!

As for the Altima itself ... well, it's an Altima, not exactly the most interesting drive, but it had relatively low miles (around 4,000) and the interior was fairly clean as well (save for some gunk on the console.) The outside wasn't as clean I've normally received cars from them though.

Even if it's a bit of a pipe dream, I do hope that Hertz sticks around and they don't lay off too many of their employees. The employees of that HLE are always so nice and I'd hate to see them lose their jobs because of the pandemic.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:26 pm

Looking at Memorial Day weekend rates - $220 for Land Rover discovery or Infiniti QX60(hoping for discovery) out of CLT. Very tempting
Old May 10, 2020, 8:16 pm

The QX60 is a land yacht luxobarge. I hope you get the Discovery too.
ajumbaje, m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
The QX60 is a land yacht luxobarge. I hope you get the Discovery too.
It's a dressed up Pathfinder with Infiniti's horrid infotainment. Ancient car too.
KenTarmac and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.