Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
"Hertz Gold Standard Clean" announced - click here

2020 Loyalty status extended through January 31, 2022 - link to FT Thread

POINTS EXTENSION
Points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020 may be extended. Individualized emails have been sent to account members to "opt into" extending points. This must be done manually and will not be done automatically. Details below.

UPDATE: May 5, 2020

There's a points extension link included in an email with the subject "I
ntroducing Hertz Gold Standard Clean – Sanitized. Sealed. Delivered." that was sent to account holders on Mon 5/4/2020.

The second article of the email indicates: "if you have points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, extend them now." (A link is provided within the email that is linked to the individuals account.)

Points extension is not being done automatically but must be "opted into". After clicking on the email link the HERTZ webpage that you're redirected to indicates:
"Your points will be available starting June 1, 2020 – and they’ll be valid through December 31, 2020."

Update: May 8, 2020

A follow up email with the subject "COVID-19 update: New Hertz Gold Standard Clean and Loyalty Updates" was sent to members on May 8, 2020

Under the section "Extending Loyalty Status" there's another individualized link that must be clicked (followed) to "opt into" extending your points.

The section reads as follows:
To give our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members more time and opportunity to enjoy their membership benefits, we recently announced we have extended their current loyalty status through January 31, 2022. Additionally, members with points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020, have the opportunity to claim them here. (Where "here" is the individualized link).

Print Wikipost

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up from EYW over the weekend. PC on a Standard Car Reservation. Got a Chevy Malibu LT with 1,800 miles and, saints be praised, working XM! No sticker showing the car was sanitized and it certainly didn't smell all that clean.

The only bad thing was I had the car 24 hours and 54 minutes and they charged me a $45 Hourly Charge. Oh that hurt especially as it was all my fault.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:11 pm

I picked up from ATL today (afternoon of Aug 14th). Had a reservation for an F/FCAR, and got a confirmation directing me to Five Star on arrival. I only make a point of mentioning that cause it seems like my name is never on the board at ATL, but today it was.

Sections 1, 2, and 3 had moderate stocks of really basic cars - I didn't walk all the way over to look, but from a distance they looked pretty worn out.

Gold, Five Star, and PC were all *very* slim pickings. Gold had a few Elantra and similar sedans, and a couple of tiny crossovers - less than 6 cars total.

Five Star had perhaps 10-12 cars overall. One sedan (a Ford Focus), and the rest were mid/entry crossovers, primarily Kias and Hyundais. I spotted a GMC Terrain, which I've been happy with before, and took that one. It was clean - though it looks like someone else had already checked on it, since the "seal" on the door was broken. The XM was off, and it's got 39XXX miles on it, but it's in decent shape, reasonably equipped, and driving fine.

PC was almost exactly the same as Five Star. No Ford Focus, though. They did have a 4Runner and an Explorer in addition to the same crossover mix. Very few cars there, either - maybe 6 in total.

The garage was *much* cleaner than it was a few months ago - last visit, it looked almost apocalyptic, with dirty cars and blowing trash. Today, it just looked empty.

Two exit lanes open - not many customers. Barely one full screen on the gold board was had names.

One thing that caught my eye was a complete lack of Prestige/Dream cars. Just my anecdotes, but ATL went from Infiniti-central several months ago, to having a few nicer BMWs a few months ago, to *nothing* today. I saw one Range Rover (Velar, I think) in a distant corner, but it was marked as not available with a roof cone.

So.. what can I say, I suppose? It was marginally better in some ways, and marginally worse in others, compared to my last few visits. Oh, and all the escalators were running again. Didn't have any employee interactions except for the exit gate, which was quick and courteous.
m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Two experiences this week:

- ATL: A grand total of four cars to choose from in PC, all mid sized SUVs. Nothing was coming in either. Ended up in a 2020 Chevy Blazer which 2000 miles which wasn't bad.

- Valdosta, GA: I booked a one way from VLD (the Valdosta Airport) to ATL Airport. The day I was supposed to pick up I got a call from the HLE in Valdosta who told me "oh the airport location is closed and you shouldn't have been able to make a reservation there". As I was arriving at 7:30 PM it was too late to get a car that day so I had to book a hotel in Valdosta and pick up the next morning. I ended up in a 2019 Kia Optima with Illinois plates and 39,500 miles. That was disappointing.
Presguy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:01 pm

At IAH on the 16th. One car in the Gold aisle, a Malibu.

You can pick any care in the gold row, as long as you pick the only car we have.

It was not terrible. It developed a slow leak in a tire so I tried to swap it out at the HLE in Spring. I received a 2020 4 Door Canyon. The Canyon was dirty as all hell inside, but we were not in a place where we had the time to wait any longer or deal with it. The HLE charged us $150 for the Malibu’s tire, but we got that waved returning the Canyon at IAH.

Customer service at the Spring HLE was terrible, at the airport it was “acceptable”

In the end, the Canyon was fine, and it turned out that we used the truck as a truck, so all this was in our favor, but, why does the rental car experience more often than not “just suck”.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Pretty crappy that they give you a car that has a bum tire and then try to charge you for it...
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:22 pm

It seems like Hertz has sold off the best cars in the fleet and all i'm reading now is how crappy the selection is i have a trip in 2 weeks at LAS was thinking of booking because rates are cheap. The way it's looking even if they have a car it's gone be some high mileage crap you don"t won"t. I have a back up Res at National of course a higher rate look"s like Hertz isn"t even worth it at moment hearing rumors they will be keeping cars in the fleet up to 60K miles.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 31, 2020 at 5:29 pm Reason: vulgarity removed per https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: FB Gold
I had a few days rental picking up from a neighbourhood locations in Atlanta a few weeks ago, really disappointing. Although I was happy I got a compact car, the Chevrolet Cruze had over 65k km, was pretty worn inside, and wasn't thoroughly cleaned (a bit disturbing given the situation thesedays). The vehicle registration was due within a week and the contrôle technique was overdue.

Not to mention they slipped in the fuel fill-up option (I was never asked for this, although i explicitly said "I decline all extras") and misbilled my return- so I had to spend a lot of time with their untimely customer service to straighten it out. Really poor experience, wouldn't use Hertz in the US again. They have been fine in Europe but this was the first time I used them in the US and I can see why they're insolvent.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Didn't have an issue with a rental a month ago at my local airport HLE, booked a larger SUV (Suburban) and got a Yukon XL. Went to the same location yesterday with a booking in the same class but was told nothing was available as a return they were waiting for is late. However, if I was willing to wait another 30 minutes they should have a Tahoe ready after they "disinfect and clean it". Since I had no other option, I agreed to it but asked for something back as that would be a downgrade. The agent called the branch manager and offered to give me $25 off (moot point since it was a points booking) and a free tank of fuel which they arranged by putting on the contract that the fuel level is under 1/8 even though it was a full tank. Since I was in a hurry and wearing a thicker mask, I didn't notice the cigarette smell in the car until later. So, I called the same location and asked them to notate the cigarette smell from a previous driver if it already hasn't been notated. The car wasn't vacuumed and the trunk is missing a floor cover that goes in between the space between the 3rd row when up and the trunk door.

Called a few other locations near me to see if I can swap out the car for another one instead as the smell is giving me a headache but no one is picking up
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:08 pm

Picked up last weekend at Helena Airport (HLN). I had a Full Size Car reservation and they gave me a 2020 Toyota 4Runner with working XM and 9,000 miles. Everything about the car was good, however I returned the car on full and yet when I got my receipt emailed to me a half hour later they had charged me $140 for 7/8s of a tank of gas. I tried calling but no one answered. One of my travel companions had a later flight and he left security to go take this issue up with them and they apologized for their "mistake" and refunded it.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:06 am

HLE in Brooklyn NYC last Wednesday a week Fullsize reservation. I was "upgraded because you are PC" to a 2019 Impala with 46K miles, a broken clean sticker on the driver's door. The inside hadn't seen dust rag in months and has a vibration at high speed (over 65 mph). It was $55 less than the Avis a block away, thank you @AutoSlash. HLE shares the garage and has to move cars constantly as the Impala was blocking other Hertz cars so that sticker I am guessing was not put on at this location.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Several sub-par experiences with Hertz since COVID.

1. Rental car at PVD had a non-working satellite radio (completely non-functional, not just bad connectivity). Complained at return, charged for satellite option in full anyhow. Disputing with credit card.
2. DC downtown rental car location closed despite confirmed reservation. Instead of a warning of the closure, Hertz emailed a confirmation of the reservation. Had to uber to Reagan National airport, where zero cars in Gold, zero in Five Star, and one in PC. No staff present except lone guard at barrier gate.
3. Same DC rental, which was 2 days and less than 150 miles total -- just received a $200 Plate Pass charge with dozens of tunnel crossings in NYC. How did that happen? Hertz swears it's accurate. Another credit card dispute.

...moving my business to National.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Several sub-par experiences with Hertz since COVID.
2. DC downtown rental car location closed despite confirmed reservation. Instead of a warning of the closure, Hertz emailed a confirmation of the reservation. Had to uber to Reagan National airport, where zero cars in Gold, zero in Five Star, and one in PC. No staff present except lone guard at barrier gate.
This happened with my ATL rental a few posts above, I'd booked a hotel where there was a HLE location but never got a notification that the site closed until I arrived at the hotel to check-in. Had I known, I would have chosen a different hotel and saved a lot of time lost.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:19 am

Hertz even in normal times does a poor job of telling people about closed locations. In my case 4 years ago, I only found out when I checked rates again in the hope of finding a lower one. I had to initiate the call to customer service to find a solution. Luckily this wasn't at the last minute.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:31 am

MCO 9/17-9/20

Arrived terminal B to discover only location open was Term A. Get to the Presidents Circle, and am immediately greeted, which has never happened. Was told today we are offering a 25 dollar upgrade for anyone in the Circle. I looked to see what they had which is the worst I have ever seen. Some kia midsize suvs, a camary, and some other car way at the end that didnt warrant a walk. She said i can get you an infinity, i said great, she said its 25 a day extra. No matter where I have never paid for an upgrade at hertz being PC or needed to (Infinity, Mercedes, Chargers, Camaros, Tahoes, 300, Maximas, 5.0 Mustangs). She takes me inside where we are now bargaining. Quickly realize she is trying to up-charge me for a better car which normally would have been in the Circle. I keep explaining to her i am not paying for something better since you cant put it in the circle. She explain things have changed. After 20 minutes i took a 2020 Range Rover 6k miles had a smoke scent to it, she did charge me but at this point I just wanted to leave. Filled out hertz survey and to my surprised refunded my upgrade fee and apologize. I responded with that Hertz needs to take care of their most loyal customers during these tough times because as of today i am not status matched with all other companies and will take my business elsewhere.

Hope things improve, will let you know next month when I am in Tahoe.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: AAA
This happened to me

Originally Posted by Josh Goolsby
MCO 9/17-9/20

Arrived terminal B to discover only location open was Term A. Get to the Presidents Circle, and am immediately greeted, which has never happened. Was told today we are offering a 25 dollar upgrade for anyone in the Circle. I looked to see what they had which is the worst I have ever seen. Some kia midsize suvs, a camary, and some other car way at the end that didnt warrant a walk. She said i can get you an infinity, i said great, she said its 25 a day extra. No matter where I have never paid for an upgrade at hertz being PC or needed to (Infinity, Mercedes, Chargers, Camaros, Tahoes, 300, Maximas, 5.0 Mustangs). She takes me inside where we are now bargaining. Quickly realize she is trying to up-charge me for a better car which normally would have been in the Circle. I keep explaining to her i am not paying for something better since you cant put it in the circle. She explain things have changed. After 20 minutes i took a 2020 Range Rover 6k miles had a smoke scent to it, she did charge me but at this point I just wanted to leave. Filled out hertz survey and to my surprised refunded my upgrade fee and apologize. I responded with that Hertz needs to take care of their most loyal customers during these tough times because as of today i am not status matched with all other companies and will take my business elsewhere.

Hope things improve, will let you know next month when I am in Tahoe.
On Monday 9/21/20 I went to hertz lax and watched and waited for 8 hours for them to put the usual 5 series, a220 or jaguar in president's circle and I finally went to counter and they tried to sell me an upgrade and said those days are over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.