Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Old May 4, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
"Hertz Gold Standard Clean" announced - click here

2020 Loyalty status extended through January 31, 2022 - link to FT Thread

POINTS EXTENSION
Points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020 may be extended. Individualized emails have been sent to account members to "opt into" extending points. This must be done manually and will not be done automatically. Details below.

UPDATE: May 5, 2020

There's a points extension link included in an email with the subject "I
ntroducing Hertz Gold Standard Clean – Sanitized. Sealed. Delivered." that was sent to account holders on Mon 5/4/2020.

The second article of the email indicates: "if you have points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, extend them now." (A link is provided within the email that is linked to the individuals account.)

Points extension is not being done automatically but must be "opted into". After clicking on the email link the HERTZ webpage that you're redirected to indicates:
"Your points will be available starting June 1, 2020 – and they’ll be valid through December 31, 2020."

Update: May 8, 2020

A follow up email with the subject "COVID-19 update: New Hertz Gold Standard Clean and Loyalty Updates" was sent to members on May 8, 2020

Under the section "Extending Loyalty Status" there's another individualized link that must be clicked (followed) to "opt into" extending your points.

The section reads as follows:
To give our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members more time and opportunity to enjoy their membership benefits, we recently announced we have extended their current loyalty status through January 31, 2022. Additionally, members with points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020, have the opportunity to claim them here. (Where "here" is the individualized link).

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso

Just wanted to hear experiences of those who have rented Hertz vehicles in New York, San Francisco and Seattle and how Hertz has been managing the situation. I rely on Hertz for my car rental and essentially on a monthly contract with a day break for credit card coverage, but need to decide whether to return the car early and go do groceries without a car.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:25 am

On the National forum people are saying New York City area locations are low on cars because everyone who doesn't own a car is trying to get one to get out of the city. It might be the same way in other coastal cities where many people don't own cars.

Everywhere else, things are dead quiet. I was at PIT twice last week and on the second visit, several cars had been sitting there untouched since the first time.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by m907; Mar 22, 2020 at 3:30 am
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I tried to rent a car at the CHA airport and got a message online saying the location was closed so surely this is related to the COVID 19 pandemic.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:45 am

I forgot, I also saw a locked car in the Hertz return lanes with white marker on the window "Customer quarantined due to corona". I wonder how long they'll leave it there.
Auto Enthusiast and KenTarmac like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I'm curious what will happen with re-qualifying for status. Obviously fewer people will be able to maintain their status. Will they lower the bar and set a lower figure, or just say forget this year and everyone gets another year of status?
Auto Enthusiast and sunpass like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wondering, how will Hertz be financially impacted by this crisis?
How's their liquidity, balance sheet like?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
lol just look how garbage their stock price was, went as low as $3 something per share!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
The past three weeks in Seattle I've seen the same exact car parked in the same spot in the reserved lot. They've limited their hours to 6 am-- 1 am, and after 9 pm you cant use the choice lots. Most of the companies at SEA-TAC airport have laid-off staff and dramatically cut fleet. It's crazy what can change in a month.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Rental_Guy
The past three weeks in Seattle I've seen the same exact car parked in the same spot in the reserved lot. They've limited their hours to 6 am-- 1 am, and after 9 pm you cant use the choice lots. Most of the companies at SEA-TAC airport have laid-off staff and dramatically cut fleet. It's crazy what can change in a month.
I've seen the same thing at PIT - cars in UC untouched for days. It's a small location anyway so they aren't cutting hours though.
​​​​
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Colleague, Avis Preferred/Budget FB, National Exeuctive
Rented at TPA last night. Employees were busying themselves with a game of cornhole and one looked like he was doing laps around the garage. Apparently incoming cars from NY are tagged and immediately quarantined. Assistant manager told me that they average 2500 rentals/day (Spring break) this time of the year and had mid 80's go out yesterday. Great time to get a car if you can, just bring Clorox wipes/wear gloves and wait 10 minutes!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:35 pm

I wonder if Hertz charged the previous renter who did the one-way from NY with 14 days loss of use while the car is in quarantine?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
At my local branch, Hertz has laid off most staff including the branch manager. Only a couple remain with limited hours. Reservations are down to about ~2.5% of the same time as last year.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:42 pm

Any info on SFO, like their Ultimate Choice hours or if they are still running?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I got an email from Hertz car sales on 3/19 with info about buying a car directly from them; I believe they're trying to generate cash and dowsize their fleet given the huge drop off in demand for vehicles. The odd thing is I've been with Hertz about three years now and I can't recall ever receiving an email from hertz car sales.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
Update. The SeaTac Airport location is closed. Only a few staff members but only for returns, no contracts are being written.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.